Lounge
 660AV - Back into the realm of the living
Author Topic  
Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  21:39:58
Muahahahaha
Cinemafia gave me a 660AV that he had pulled the full '040 and replaced with an LC040. after the branswap, the machine would not boot. Well, I was pulling the CPU off to give the Logic Board a bath, and what do I see...

A Bent Pin!!!!!

I took my trusty jewellers screwdriver, unbent the pin, and plugged the LC back in. Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle if the danged thing did not boot!!

so, long story short, I have a 660AV that works perfectly (I think) except for a part of the CDROM that just needs superglue.

Cinemafia -- thanks for the mac, but if you want it back now that it works, I'll understand.
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //e

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  12:27:30
Wow...absolutely bitchin'! Actually, the 660av wouldn't boot even before I swapped the chips, and when the full '040 worked fine in my LC 475, I assumed that either the mobo or PSU were dead. I mean, the fans wouldn't turn or anything... I dunno how you got it back to life, but you earned it! My 840av is more than enough for me, anyway!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:18:03
I took it apart twice, blew it out and put it back together.
it happens a lot with dead machines for me, they mysteriously come back to life...

rule of thumb, if you have dead 68k macs, disconnect EVERYTHING that'll come off the motherboard, including processor and PRAM battery, anything that isn't soldered on MUST come off. blow everything apart, shake everything around a bit, checking for bent pins, put it back together and see if it boots.

Good luck with your temporarally dead macs...
CCC

BTW, Cine, I'll know by the end of the week whether I can afford that Powermac A/V

Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:28:19
Cool, I'll have it ready for ya'.

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  19:03:48
thanks
if you find anymore interesting nubus cards, give me a holler about them, and if you find the breakout box for that digitalfilm card, let me know for sure, j'ai est interested :):):)
I am going to put the clothes on the quadra after I glue the little piece in the CDROM back in, and the case latch that I broke off () back on, and she'll be golden. I gave her a bath, and she is looking mighty fine now
thanks again
CCC

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  19:16:28
Cool, you should have seen how much dust was inside that 660av when I brought it home from CalTech. It looked like somebody had installed shag carpeting!

As for the DigitalFilm card breakout box, well, not being able to find one is one of the reasons why I just didn't have any use for it anymore. JT spotted an ebay auction for the card and the breakout box once, but since then I haven't seen one.

Incidentally, there is one legitimate use for the DigitalFilm card without a breakout box! The DigitalFilm card supports the same JPEG compression that the later SpigotPower AV card does. So, for instance, if I were to capture some video on my 840av using the SpigotPower AV card and dump it to a CD, you could play it in it's original form from any machine with the DigitalFilm card and QT 1.6.1 or later using hardware JPEG decompression/acceleration, which is considerably faster than software alone.

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  19:42:12
I just recently saw an auction for card and breakout bok, with no cable though, do an ebay search in titles and descriptions for nubus, and see what you find.

<edit>
Have you ever used the VideoJPEG compression on the digitalfilm, I read on the internet, in a narticle on digital editing from the early ninties that it is not very good and yeilds poor image quality. One good thing that I hward was the pixel doubling feature that is prominant in the card, but that is as far as I got.
Do you have the software for the DigitalFilm card, or will I have to scrounge?

Methinks that this discussion would benifit the MFF too , archaic editing systems, that still work!!
</edit>
CCC

Apple // series rescued: Apple //e

Edited by - Clinton on 22 Oct 2002 19:46:06Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  19:57:14
Yeah, the digital film card isn't that great. On it's own, it uses pixel-doubling to achieve 640x480, which means you end up with poor image quality at that size. It will capture 320x240 at 30fps, which is better than a standard Spigot card or any of the onboard systems on AV macs. Either way, this is only beneficial to CD-ROM or web projects, not offline video editing.

I've read in the manual for my SpigotPower AV card that because they use the same video subsystem (JPEG or JPEG interlaced), you can actually use a DigitalFilm card in a SipgotPower outfitted AV mac. Why on earth you would want to do this is anybody's guess, as it would be pretty redundant, unless maybe the DigitalFilm card supports a Nubus-driven monitor.

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  20:13:50
odd.
so what is the best editing solution for 68k macs/NuBus Power Macs?
I like the heft of the digitalfilm (heavy like a badazzmofo) but I do not like the quality... iWant the Avid system that is residing in a closet at my school!! it barely ever gets used, I have only seen it from a slight distance, but it has a big@$$ SCSI raid, 2 21" monitors, an avid keyboard, and a Q950 at the heart, that'd rock my world!
neway, I posted a thread over at the MFF, just to help out.
thanx
CCC

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  21:04:59
Yay!
the CDROM LIVES, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I glued the itty-bitty piece of plastic what was causing the problem. The 660AV is running an install of System 7.5, with all of the student work still on it :)
now for some prowling

I also glued some more problimatic spots on the case, and all is working now
CCC
CCC

68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  14:17:24
YARG!!!
the machine will not boot with the CDROM connected to the scsi chain!! I will have to troubleshoot it later tomite, but iHope it isn't dead poor abused mac....
I alsol need to find a full 040 for it, the LC040 is just too slow for that particular machine
CCC

68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  20:58:36
hey cinemo -- I can afford the 7100/80av, is $20 reasonable -- I cannot remember your asking price, and I cant remember which thread it is in. let me know.
CCC

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  22:40:51
I was asking $25 for it, whaddya say...?

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  11:22:09
let me see if I have xact change, I'll get back to you.
CCC

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.