All Forums
 Lounge
 Macworld Expo Boycott
Author Topic  
mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  11:05:30
There's a story over on the MacAddict site explaining the recent feud between Apple and IDG, the company who runs Macworld Expo.
The essence of the fight is this: IDG wants to move the New York expo to Boston. Apple doesn't like this idea and plans not to attend if IDG does it. IDG then responds with the implied threat that it won't allow Apple to participate in other expos if they don't do Boston.
I, for one, find this completely absurd. IDG needs to remember that without Apple, the Macworld Expo wouldn't exist. I sent IDG an email informing them of this and letting them know I won't attend another expo if they don't play ball with Apple.
If you want to do the same, send an email to beth_wickenhiser@idg.com
If you've never been to an expo and never plan to, just trust me, without Apple, the expo would be worthless. It'd be like going to a magic show with no magicians.
I think Apple knows this, and is well within it's rights to make IDG cater to it's needs. The IDG CEO, Charlie Greco, seems to have quite an ego if he thinks he can butt heads with superego Jobs and somehow win.

/endofrant

mathgeek

68K Macs Liberated: LC, Performa 636, Mac Classic II
My Powerbook 1400 page http://www.its.caltech.edu/~dgoulet/1400

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  06:43:28
Apple needs to remember that, without IDG, Macworld wouldn't exist either. What's absurd is that Apple waited until 5 minutes before the press conference to announce that they were taking their ball and going home, not even giving IDG a chance to come up with a compromise. And pulling out of Macworld NY 2003 too?! Clearly, the whole thing was nothing but a ploy to get Apple out of spending the money on two US Macworlds a year, without having to say 'sorry we're too cheap.'

Fortunately, more reasonable council seems to be prevailing.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  07:15:26
I've been to several of the MacWorlds since they've bee here in NY, but I haven't always bothered with going. I really don't understand the hypoe surrounding Apple's participation, the Mac and Apple products are much less important than seeing the independent developers, IMHO. I really don't understand why people spend so much time at their booth when there is so much available at MacWorld that there is no chance fo ever seeing outside of the MacWorld venue. Lets face it, you've always been able to see Apple's products somewhere, even if it was only in a flea-bitten crap-usa display, but there's almost no chance to see other mac products in action, talk to hardware reps or get training for the products that make the Mac a usable, viable computing platform, a status that has been steadily eroding, btw.

Apple's participation would have to be the LEAST important aspect of a MacWorld Expo in any rational estimation. Apple is there in support of its DEVELOPERS without which it cannot exist, NOT the other way around! Because, without developers, there would be no reason for there to be any Mac USERS. It would seem Apple hasn't got a clue or a care about those developers . . . or their users . . . unfortunately.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  08:22:40
Have to disagree with the Trashman on this one.

Take Apple out of the Expo and you've taken the main ring out of the circus. The rest is all sideshow: entertaining, fascinating, educational, but sideshow. Apple is the raison d'etre of Macworld Expo; without Apple, the Expos will wither and die, like ripping the heart out of the body (to change metaphors).

I can understand Apple's desire to cut expenses by reducing the Expos to one a year (in the USA), but that's not how they're playing the game. It looks like Steve just didn't like the idea of moving back to Boston.

IMO, the Expos provide publicity and visibility for Apple that would be hard to duplicate in any other way. Getting 50,000 people to a convention says 'this is an important movement--not just a dying technology'.

A moveable feast has been suggested: one Expo per year, in a different city each year. This could generate even more publicity, with cities bidding against each other.

Lastest word is that Apple and IDG are in negotiations.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  08:30:38
quote:

Have to disagree with the Trashman on this one.

PC Expo and Comdex do just fine without the equivalent of an Apple as a "Main Ring Event" and exist just fine in a ""SideShow ONLY" convention format, think about it . . .

You may be right in that the Mac has become so marginalized as a platform that there's really no show at all worth attending without Apple's participation, which is even more sad when you think about it.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  10:21:50
quote:

PC Expo and Comdex do just fine without the equivalent of an Apple as a "Main Ring Event" and exist just fine in a ""SideShow ONLY" convention format, think about it . . .

These are more generic industry shows, like Seybold, wouldn't you say? Macworld Expo is devoted to, and attended by, Mac users and Mac fans. And, like it or not, the Macintosh is Apple's baby.

I agree that the third-party booths and exhibits are the most interesting and the most fun, but as far as the general public is concerned (and most of the attendees as well, I expect), Apple is the host and sponsor. They're already having trouble getting companies like Adobe and Macromedia to show up; how many more would stay home if Apple doesn't play and half the fans stay home?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.