Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  03:37:57
I opened a CDROM here and...

it has an OS 8 CD in it.

Now I haven't bought anything with a CDROM in it for months - several months even... and I've been swapping CDROMs around a few machines for a while. All I can guess is that it came with a 6100 or 610 or 630 or something... and I'd always ended up swapping another CDROM into/out of a machine until I finally opened this one. crazy hey?

One more for the collection for this little hoarder :D

dana

Quadra 605 Obsessions

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  06:39:24
ITS MINE!

Lol, I had the opposite happen to me, so thats why I say its mine. I swapped around all of my CD-ROMS quite frequently when I had more of them and more macs. Then I sold two 7100's, and little did I know that my mac os 8 cd was living in one of their CD drives :(. Go figure the guy cheated me and didnt hold up his end let alone contact me again. Grrrr.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  08:45:25
Maybe it's the love child of two Macs...perhaps you should put two computers in a closet for a year, and see if you get a copy of 10.2!

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 22 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  08:53:05
quote:

Maybe it's the love child of two Macs...perhaps you should put two computers in a closet for a year, and see if you get a copy of 10.2!

Nope, just more internal dust bunnies!

I grabbed a slimline Packar Belll off the street because it had an interesting case and a CD, it still had a floppy in the drive . . . turned out to be a Win'98 boot disk and there was a partially decomposed WinBlows 95 CD in the Drive, no wonder the poor lil' POS gave up the ghost! :rolleyes:

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  14:23:03
quote:
I grabbed a slimline Packar Belll off the street because it had an interesting case and a CD, it still had a floppy in the drive . . . turned out to be a Win'98 boot disk and there was a partially decomposed WinBlows 95 CD in the Drive, no wonder the poor lil' POS gave up the ghost! :rolleyes:

HAR!™

But yeah. The OS 8 CD probably came with a 630 or 6100, knowing how many 6100s you have. Why did they make tray loaders so that they don't spit the CD out at shutdown, anyhow? I've found many CDs in trayloaders, on both PCs and Macs.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  23:06:56
You should have let the Packard Bell die....Trash. If any computer deserves a final death it is a PB. When I did some consulting work back in mid ninties those buggers were always breaking down. They had puny power supplies, sub-standard parts and proprieity motherboards. The FTC fined them for using remanufactured (ie used) parts and selling them as new. Packard Bell computers are now only available on the international market, no domestic sales. I guess the word finally got out even to neophytes.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  23:36:02
Funny you should mention that...one of my friends got his Packard Bell back from service a few months ago for a logic board replacement, and the new mobo is actually an MSI board.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  03:55:56
quote:

You should have let the Packard Bell die....Trash. If any computer deserves a final death it is a PB.

It's awaiting disembowelment and an eventual upgrade to Mac_ard Bell Status!

Proprietary mobos . . . substandard parts . . . puny power supplies . . . how could I possibly hold THAT against it, that's just like a Mac!

:rolleyes:

jt .

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  17:37:24
Careful there Trash, you will cause the natives to riot. Apple has produced it share of junk, but there were some gems along the way. PB can't make that claim. They don't even sell them here anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  17:59:36
quote:

Careful there Trash, you will cause the natives to riot. Apple has produced it share of junk, but there were some gems along the way. PB can't make that claim. They don't even sell them here anymore.

For the most part there are very fine components in Macs, PSU's are conspicuously NOT among them for the most part. The underpowered part isn't even debatable by the hardest core mac fanboy.

The proprietary mobos are unavoidable, that's part of the definition of a Mac. But the intentionally lamed ones are really hard to take.

I'd love to have the production/sales figures for all Macs ever sold to spreadsheet against the list of roadapples, I'll bet it's close to 50% of unit sales. That list is Loooooo-ong! and the high volume consumer macs make up the lion's share of it too!

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.