The Website Forum
 announceing .68k
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  23:35:02
Well... not actually an announcement that it WORKS, but that it's an idea I'm throwing around.

To replicate Homepage, iDisk, and email, we'd need the following:

•server w/ AppleShare IP 5 minimum (prefer 6 I think)

•web server w/ some system that would allow login, upload, web page creation via a website (Run on a Mac of course)

•email server

• oh yeah... a DSL or cable modem to host it off

would anyone pay a small annual price for that? a 68kmla.net email address?

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  04:39:38
quote:

would anyone pay a small annual price for that? a 68kmla.net email address?

how small?

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  05:42:34
I was going to do the same thing but a 68kmla email is already being provided and really that is all I need .

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  06:32:48
If someone will donate up to $15, I will pay the other $15 and pick it up. I am already running regular email, only at a much longer address . The only thing is, it would have to get routed through a dyndns service becaise my IP addy shifts every 5 days or so.

It would work with 68kmla.net, and "username@68kmla.net" would work fine for recieving emails, but when you would log into the server, it would have to be "username@68kmail.no-ip.org", thats all.

As for homepage and disk storage, my bandwidth is THAT good, so someone else would have to attempt that. But using the service I use, it is VERY VERY easy to redirect sub-domains to other sites and address's.

I don't think I covered all points, but its early and my mind is bogged down. If there are questions or suggestions, feel free to post. (Cause you know all of you hold back!)

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  15:45:42
Well, with a one time payment of $30, you can get dynamic routing for "68kmla.net" from dyndns without being a subdomain.

And Peng-man brings up an idea/concept that he may not know the implications of (If you do, hats off!).

It IS in fact possible to have subdomains across the planet from each other... or we COULD have sub services, via dyndns type things, but that's not as cool.

say Penguin host a website on a Mac. It would be the front door to a network of systems, all connected via VPN (Virtual Private Networking). Other people would be hosting a couple mail servers, a couple iDisk-type servers, etc. It could even be set up geographically, ie Dana (EXAMPLE! I'm not saying she'd do anything like this) would operate oz.68kmla.net. I might run lakes.68kmla.net. JT may want to set up albania.68kmla.net

If done properly, you can even bypass the front door directly, once you have an account, loging into your geographic hub directly.

An initial account login could be set up at the main 68kmla.net site.

In essense, we'd be creating our own network inside the internet itself... very cool, and (again) properly executed, when one host goes down, information is backed up to some other servers, and still available to most users.

If people can volunteer their internet connection, then costs are very low. Mostly the price of the 69kmla.net domain itself, the dyndns cost, and maybe a couple trinkets.

"Small Annual Price" means like... $15 max I'd think (and hope)... but it would also mean that any number of people need to make a commitment.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  16:31:43
Yeah, I know how to do that, but didn't take it to that extent, my hat IS off to YOU marchie!

We would have to work hard at that, but I'm sure it would be possible. I already have my server st up and barely see an impact on performance of my connection or the machine (unlike hotline ).

Mail redundancy is my biggest worry. I do not know how to implement this across multiple machines, but I'm sure it can be done.

no-ip.comis free dyndns stuff (the dyndns.org stuff didnt work with my router, but its free too)

Catsdorule i do believe had appleshare set up (still set up?) and it worked pretty good, so that is possible.

Any other ideas anyone?

~The Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  18:16:08
Ok.. here's my issue:

I share a 56k dialup via a router with my fam.. so other than design and remote maintenance, I can't do much (tho I HAVE figured out how to use Apple Remote Desktop and it's previous incarnation for pre-X stuff over the net)

Who is willing to set up a server? what hardware/software you got?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  18:36:24
I already have my server, and It is ready to keep serving away.

It is a 6500/250 with maxed 128mb of ram. It is running 8.6, 9 was too slow. It already has HL server and webstar server, and I have appleshare IP 6.3, just not installed.

My connection is not the best bandwidth wise, but in terms of being up, i do believ eI have a pretty good record (When i have dyn dns set up right! )

~The Penguin

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  21:47:18
My appleshare works fine :) But the problem is i'm saving up for 300$ to get a B&W G3 Tower, to do the hosting, I can't have my iMac on all the time ;). I'd be fine to set up a server but as soon as I have the money, I'm already hostting a mirror of macDaddy's website on my imac.

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  07:57:57
I'll see if I can get the second Q950 working and A/UX Installed on it, and actually work on a 68kMLA Gopher server.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  16:39:06
If all that you need is DNS, I run a DNS off a static IP address, I use Win2k server's DNS, but if anyone wants to show me how to configure it, I swould be glad to put an entry into the server.
contact me at ccrawford_AT_sphs-web.lausd.k12.ca.us
thanks
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  18:00:56
Hiyo again
I have doscovered that www.68kmac.com is available for registration!
that would be perfect for the domain, keeping with hte theme of .mac.
I think that I may be able to obtain a copy of AppleShare IP, though I do not know how to use it. If equipment is donated, I may be able to host one or more of the servers, as I have an SDSL line w/ Static IPs and 1.6Mbps throughput.
let me know...

ccrawford_at_sphs-web.lausd.k12.ca.us

CCC

68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Quadra 650, and a Quadra 660AV

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  13:00:42
I have plenty of resources (macs, fast cable connection, PAF, and whatnot) to set up an AppleShare server, but I might need a little help setting things up.

My ip is static (has been the same for a year now...) which makes things easier.

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  15:03:37
QJ: Is it REALLY static, or is it DHCP assigned, and just doesn;t change?

In the world of DNS negotiation, it actually DOES make a difference.

It's easy enough to set up dynDNS stuff tho.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  15:08:09
welll....it is "dynamic", but i guess since I live in the boonies, i'm on a node that doesn't have much demand on it....so it doesn't change, even if I reset my modem or router and whatnot.

dyndns works fine, i just have it set up for a static ip.

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  15:20:13
Let's get this started then.

Report exact stats on what you have to use, in the way of hardware, and OS versions.

also: If you have a router/firewall/proxy server set up, what iss it, and do you know how to configure it to allow specific ports and traffic?

the exact services your system(s) will run will be determined by what hardware you have available.

I wish I had DSL... I'm at 19,000 feet form the local host tho.. 2000 past what Earthlink/Ameritech allow, even tho there are NO loads on my line.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  15:58:07
OK, my IPs are for sure static, and I have my own DNS server. I would need equipment to connect however, so if anyone has equipment that is donatable, let me know. my line is T1 equiv. and always on, we are 100 feet from the POP.
let me know
CCC

PS, if you need a dns entry, let me know.

and marchie - I am 19000 feet from the POP, and I have Earthlink DSL at home. (do not confuse this with the T-1 Equiv. static IP system.)
CCC

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  01:45:02
It sounds more than interesting.

Now what would the realistic benefits be?

These may be obvious to some, but the idea seems fairly esoteric to me at the moment.

better, more efficient internet access?
68k mac specific internet access, ie:- javascript, movies & things that run only or better on 68k's?

It would be great to get some ppl advertising for 68k machines specifically.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
Powerbook Duo 280c, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  06:48:54
Ok, my setup:

A 6500/250 with max 128 RAM and 15GB HD (I have a 40GB just incase, hut I doubt THAT will be needed.)

It has webstar 4.2 running on it which allows email, http (with virtual hosting), and ftp (although I haven't gotten that to actually work yet...)

I also obviously have HL server.

For now, my dsl Upload speed is absolutely unbareable, which means you guys downloading from me will get less than 10k speeds. So massive file sharing is kinda out for me.

If it would make things easie accross the board, I can install appleshare IP 6.3 on the 6500 for whatever use, but it would mean shutting the server down for a half hour minimum.

As for Clinton, I personally do not have anything to donate, but if i could, i would. Speaking of which, if anyone sees a G3 mobo going cheap, let me know. If I can get my hands on a barebones one, I have enough parts to put one together for a server, which means better performance and dual ata drives !

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  07:21:35
quote:

better, more efficient internet access?
68k mac specific internet access, ie:- javascript, movies & things that run only or better on 68k's?

Not really that, rather web services and the like for members.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  12:05:17
Right, it would also not limit its features to X users only like apple is so rapidly doing.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  14:03:00
I just got a full legal copy of AppleShare IP 5, but I'd like a nubus powermac to run it on. I am getting one, a 7100/80AV, but I have another purpose in mind for that. does anyone have a nubus powermac they'd like to donate? I want to use machines as close to 68k macs as possible, to keep the theme :)
I will post a plea for donations in the lounge....

Oh, BTW ~Coxy, are you going to register the 68kmac.com domain?

and many thanks for the good torpedobird methinks that a mirror would be nice, in case of the unlikley event that it goes down.

I have been studying the appleshare IP manual, and it is perfect for what we will do...
I think I can make it just like .mac

ok, that is enough for now...
CCC

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  14:30:39
A/UX and AppleShare would work a lot better here, especially with lots of users. It supports real multitasking, so it can serve several times as fast when multiple clients are involved.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  15:02:51
actually, the performance differentiation would be quite large, in favour of regular Mac OS w/ appleshare 5 as opposed to A/UX with a previous version of appleshare. first off, anything below 5 really does not have the features necessary to make this happen, and second, even with A/UX, the system will be slower, due to the fact that it will run on an '040 with 33mHz being the fastest speed, as opposed to a PPC chip running @ double that speed. all said, I'd prefer the regular mac os, because through my experience, a/us can be quite persnikity when it wants to.

just my thoughts
CCC

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  10:22:25
I wish I'd noticed this thread sooner. I might be able to help out. I have a static IP DSL connection. My router has a firewall, but I can set it up to provide normal access services to one machine, making that not an issue (at least it shouldn't be; I've had people connect to a HL server through the firewall's open machine). I've got a 7200/120 that I could use for something, though it only has a 2 gig HD. Perhaps web or mail serving is a possibility, though it would have to be something that didn't require extensive maintenance knowledge. I'd love to put it the machine to work, but I have a concern. Electricity is expensive over here in enron-exploited California, and this isn't the lowest-power mac around (get it). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "max watts" section of the spec sheet gives a rough idea of how much power it will use in comparison to another mac. The 7200 weighs in at 150, which pales in comparison to the 9600/350, but is almost twice as high as my Q660av. Now, I think I can do this if the energy concern is not major. Does anyone have a general idea of how much this might cost to operate? Can someone who knows about electricity tell me how much it will use per year, and maybe I can figure out my rate and do the money-math.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  10:32:32
quote:

I wish I'd noticed this thread sooner. I might be able to help out. I have a static IP DSL connection.

DSL connections have crappy upload speeds tho, don't they? Or is that not really an issue for this kind of operation?

Most DSL providers don't allow for hosting anything like this either, IIRC.

Maybe I don't understand enough of what's being discussed tho. =8-/

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  12:25:54
Ok once I get the machine what will happen will be that I really only want to be serving the web part, my upload speed is worse then my dl speed tho, since i'm on DSL so i'd be best for me to do some web serving. This is the way i'm going to be connected,

DSL Modem --> Server/software router --> My imac

So if I get Candypunk's Preforma to do the serving i'd have to get a nubus ethernet card to go with the Preforma. Is there any software for routing on the regular mac os?

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  12:36:47
I've had varying upload speeds. I've seen people get 40k or so from me on hotline, I think, and definitely around that back in the Napster days. When I try to upload, I usually top out at around 12k, but people seem to download from me ok. Who knows! JT, you might know something about the electrical side of this. How much juice will I end up buying?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  14:19:36
I can do the main serving, as I have a connection with static ips and a connection with 1.6MPBS up and down. I will set up a 68k with an HTTPD and use appleshare ip 5 on an early power mac. I have figured out how to mke this almost exactly the same as .Mac.
let me know what y'all are interested in doing.
CCC

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  14:27:09
I'll do alot of web serving you can see the speed of my of my service by viewing macdaddy's page i'll turn on the server later tonight.

-danny
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  19:57:54
ok go to http://catsdorule.no-ip.com/~macdaddy/ when my comp is on to see my speed.

-danny
-------

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  20:46:42
go to
http://www.creativepet.com
http://www.jtindustry.com
http://www.animalloverspetshop.com

to see the speed that I will be using.

nice collection, cats

btw, what connection is that on, cats? cable or dsl.

all of these three pages are on my server with a T1 equivalant line. Guaranteed bandwidth of 1.554MBPS, we are 1 block from the POP.

CCC

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 27 Oct 2002 :  21:39:02
DSL, this is on my iMac so it cannot be on all the time and it takes me 10 minutes to set up a account on it.

-danny
-------

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.