68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Software
 Is there some secret to the hotline servers?
Author Topic  
stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  14:40:32
I installed the hotline client but it never connects. It just sits there and says that the address was invalid after checking all of the servers listed here.

Sorry for so many posts, I'm just glad to find some good archives and support for my older macs.

Useless 6360 16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 1/20/6.0.8 :)
Q840av 20/0/DOA :(
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :)

epug
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  14:52:57
quote:

Is there some secret to the hotline servers?

They're probably just all down.
They have all always been down whenever I have tried to connect.

You can quickly see if a hotline server is up
by telnetting to port5500 on whatever the hotline server hostname is.

If your telnet client doesn't connect
(that is, if the connection times out),
then the server is not up.Go to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  15:08:57
Cool I did that and found one that was up.

Time to get rid of that piece of trash 8.6 on my 6360 and go 8.1 all the way!

(Yes I have a full retail 8.6 CD)

Useless 6360 16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 1/20/6.0.8 :)
Q840av 20/0/DOA :(
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :)Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  11:54:18
Yeah...it kinda sucks that there are at least 3 or 4 68k MLA member-run hotlibne servers and none of them are up. I'm going to try to get on the ball with mine...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  11:09:11
quote:

Yeah...it kinda sucks that there are at least 3 or 4 68k MLA member-run hotlibne servers and none of them are up. I'm going to try to get on the ball with mine...

I'm curious why Hotline seems to be the file server of choice. I've never heard of Hotline before visiting here. I'm guessing it's one of the few peer-to-peer file sharing sub-protocols that is Mac-compatible. After I'm finished experimeting with hardware, software and net configurations, I hope to have my Mac server farm host some of the many files I've collected using traditional FTP. Would that be a problem for users here?Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  12:09:46
Um ok the servers are:
My server - down to hardware needs
scchicago's - down due to speed
Quadra jets
Da Penguins
Cinmafia's
I think that is it.

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  12:14:11
Actually, Hotline has been around for quite a while, and is the best P2P protocol that's equally used by PC/Mac users and supports 68k's. If you lose the 68k part, BTW, you'd have Gnutella/LimeWire.

As for FTP, it's also a good P2P protocol, and one of the oldest, however, it also tends to be one the first to be blocked by school or office LAN's, and can sometimes be confusing for end users.

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Oct 2002 12:17:00Go to Top of Page

bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:33:08
quote:

Actually, Hotline has been around for quite a while, and is the best P2P protocol that's equally used by PC/Mac users and supports 68k's. If you lose the 68k part, BTW, you'd have Gnutella/LimeWire.

I'm assuming you mean it's the best protocol that can be used by PCs, Macs and 68K Macs. Are there others?

According to Hotspring's home page, Hotline is ad supported. While there's nothing wrong with that, I usually avoid ad-ware. Of more concern is the keeping of statistics as outlined in the end user agreement. The information gathered, including IP address, directory listings, session times, etc. is available for Hotspring's commercial use. Quite simply, it's spy-ware.

Hotline does offer other services such as chat and messaging, so for those unconcerned about ads or information harvesting, I guess it fills a need.

Since FTP protocol is not proprietary and has been in common use for such a long time, there's a multitude of servers and clients for all tastes and all networking OSes. FTP can be used to message connected clients, too. FTP is the de facto universal File Transfer Protocol, so one would use an FTP server to be most compliant with the majority of potential clients.

It's true that FTP is often blocked on it's standard ports by commercial and corporate firewalls. But should Hotline traffic increase enough that it's comparable to FTP traffic, or should its use lead to compromises of the hosting LAN, I think that protocol, too, would get the axe.

I'm not dissing the use of Hotline. To each his own. I'm just giving some reasons why I don't intend on using it.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:57:40
No problem. And, it looks like Chatline is already becoming a better proto than Hotline.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  17:44:01
By the way, Hotline and FTP are *not* P2P services, they are stricly client/server.

Alsdo, there are multiple Hotline clients, many of them quite good with not ads and some even open source (I think.)

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  19:25:04
though hotline is called adware, the only ad used is a standard 60 pixel high banner that usually displays the server's banner, ie the servers logo. They do not spam you or popup strange ad windows, or install spyware like all of the other crappy shady dumbo POS p2p programs out there.
anyway, if you want something else, go to http://www.haxial.com and download KDX, I think there is a mac client for it, though it is just starting, and there is not much on the system. give it a try, and see what you think.
good luck
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.