LC / Performa
 Macintosh TV/MacTV won't boot
Author Topic  
Ted Weeks
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  07:19:58
I got a MacTV from a friend who went to the Dark Side and did my usual initial examination.

The TV didn't work, but everything looked to be in order, hardware-wise. So I reformatted the HD, installed OS7.5, found the TV control panel, rebooted. Such joy in booting from the remote, hearing the happy chime, pressing another button on the remote and watching the Simpsons. But there was a dialog box telling me the date and time needed to be reset. So I put a new PRAM battery in. That's when the trouble started.

Now this black beauty won't boot. =^( I think I nuked the mobo with static.

So I'm thinking of swapping mobos. I've looked at the P575 board, and it looks like all the contacts will match. My questions are whether the TV tuner will work with this mobo, whether the mobo will fit, and if I can still use the remote (rather than changing TV stations and volume with the keyboard).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I can post pictures of what HW I have, if that'll help.

--

Trust Ted Weeks!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  07:34:37
Did you:

zap the PRAM?
look for a cuda reset button to try?
check that the PRAM bat's not in backwards
reseat all the connectors?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Ted Weeks
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  09:15:31
I have checked the PRAM battery's orientation, made sure that the HW switch is on, couldn't find a CUDA button to depress, pulled the extra memory and TV tuner and have reseated the board a few times in the hopes that I could isolate any of those issues. No dice. When I flick the HW switch on, I hear the click-buzz sound when a monitor is turned on. But no fan, no chime, nothing else. Since I don't get a chime, I don't know how else to reset the PRAM but by keyboard. I'm 99.9% sure that the fan didn't turn on before a boot (either by keyboard or by remote).

Hoping, hoping, hoping I can get this resolved.

--

Trust Ted Weeks!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  10:04:59
quote:

I have checked the PRAM battery's orientation, made sure that the HW switch is on, couldn't find a CUDA button to depress, pulled the extra memory and TV tuner and have reseated the board a few times in the hopes that I could isolate any of those issues. No dice. When I flick the HW switch on, I hear the click-buzz sound when a monitor is turned on. But no fan, no chime, nothing else. Since I don't get a chime, I don't know how else to reset the PRAM but by keyboard. I'm 99.9% sure that the fan didn't turn on before a boot (either by keyboard or by remote).

Hoping, hoping, hoping I can get this resolved.

Sounds like a similar problem in the DuoDock PSU's, a crappy $.99 capacitor blows and they won't start up again until it's replaced.

Sounds like google time! But first, post your symptoms over on fritter in the CC forum. IIRC, your Chassis/PSU/Harness is a 520 series rig and very similar to what the CC fanatics play with alla time!

jt .

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  12:36:22
See http://www.micromac.com/products/lb_lc575_upgrade.html about the motherboard swap. Their prices are way too high; see the Trading Post or eBay and see if you can get a new board. Even if the logic board is not dead, it's an upgrade worth doing. Put in a full 68040/33 (or 68040/25 with a big-@ss fan or heat sink) and you'll have an even faster Mac TV.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  12:50:42
Not sure if the TV will work though.

OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  13:45:15
quote:

Not sure if the TV will work though.

Don't think so . . . it's an entirely different I/O setup from the crappy oictures I've seen online.

Please take some really good piccies of the Tuner Card setup and scan everything for the NUBus City/FE's PDS Collection/NuBus Mafia projects while you're trpubleshooting! I'd love to see definitive images of the Mac TV setup.

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  02:18:19
1. Yes, an LC/Performa 575 logic board will slide straight into your MacTV, and work fine. However, you'll need the I/O panel (the one that goes on the back of the mobo) from a 575 if you want it to look pretty. Paint it black.

2. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to get the TV tuner to fit into the LC's PDS and work. They use a different connector, unfortunately.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Ted Weeks
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  06:15:04

I've uploaded a few high-res pictures of the MacTV motherboard and tuner at http://www.imaxx.net/~melt9down/

I don't know what good the pictures will do, but at least now there's a document of what the boards look like. Perhaps owners of 5xx motherboards can tell me if there are any similarities.

Thanks for all your help!

--

Ted Weeks!

Duo230/DuoDock II, PB140, IIci, MacTV, LC III, Q650, Q700/PPC, 7100/G3, 7200/G3, 8500/G4, G4 Yikes, MP120/2.0, MP2100, Apple PowerCD. I like that one the most, I think. Oh, and a 3Com Audrey, too.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  07:50:49
quote:

I've uploaded a few high-res pictures of the MacTV motherboard and tuner at http://www.imaxx.net/~melt9down/

Nice shots, If you can locate a 575 you might want to try your mobo in it, I still think it sounds like a PSU issue, you might get lucky! Shreve Systems has/had 580's on clearance, check to see if they have any of the earlier models that are comatible with yours.

Definitely post the piccie links and your synptoms over in the CC forum on fritter, there's a LOT of expertise available there.

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  14:22:36
Btw, if you get a motherboard from a 63x, 58x, 5xxx or 6xxx series Mac, don't bother trying it. It won't fit or work.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2002 :  14:28:54
quote:

Btw, if you get a motherboard from a 63x, 58x, 5xxx or 6xxx series Mac, don't bother trying it. It won't fit or work.

Sure it would with the harness hack and every other CC hack trick, but a MacTV probably shouldn't be hacked like that. If it's in nice cosmetic shape it'll be worth a lot as a collectable, so wait to get your hands on one with a dead screen or a horrible case for a decent price as a donor machine!

jt .

Ted Weeks
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  19:07:49
Those Applefritter users sure have their stuff together, or at least cleaner glasses than mine. It was merely a CUDA reset issue. I was looking right at that CUDA switch all along, and didn't realize that it was there.

After I took pictures of the board, rael spotted the CUDA and put me right. My little baby is working now!

Thanks to all for putting me in the right direction. I'm considered the Mac resource for my circle, but wow, I am a child among giants here and at Applefritter.

--

Ted Weeks!

Duo230/DuoDock II, PB140, IIci, MacTV, LC III, Q650, Q700/PPC, 7100/G3, 7200/G3, 8500/G4, G4 Yikes, MP120/2.0, MP2100, Apple PowerCD. I like that one the most, I think. Oh, and a 3Com Audrey, too.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  19:43:16
quote:

Those Applefritter users sure have their stuff together, or at least cleaner glasses than mine. It was merely a CUDA reset issue. I was looking right at that CUDA switch all along, and didn't realize that it was there.

After I took pictures of the board, rael spotted the CUDA and put me right. My little baby is working now!

Woohoo! Way to go, glad you got it back online!

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  20:52:49
quote:

Sure it would with the harness hack and every other CC hack trick, but a MacTV probably shouldn't be hacked like that. If it's in nice cosmetic shape it'll be worth a lot as a collectable, so wait to get your hands on one with a dead screen or a horrible case for a decent price as a donor machine!

Exactly. What i meant is that you can't just slide, say a 630 board in without any modding to the MacTV. And besides, its not worth it modding a Mac TV...by doing so you would be destroying a good, very rare collectable.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2002 :  02:53:11
quote:

Did you:

zap the PRAM?

JT's first post, right after yours...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2002 :  05:33:37
quote:

quote:

Did you:

zap the PRAM?

JT's first post, right after yours...

He saw the suggestion looked, and then reported that he couldn't find one in his next post so by the time the piccies were posted nobody here was looking for it in them.

IIRC from the fritter thread, it was a surprise for there to even BE a cuda reset button on the MacTV. Putting symptoms and piccies up again for a fresh look over there worked out rather nicely, eh?

You'd better get scans of all those goodies for the NuBus Mafia before you find an ISA Card nailed to your door.

Taking your shots on a Big@$$ sheet of graph paper was a very nice touch, btw, I was impressed. Nice shots.

jt .

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Nov 2002 :  05:54:29
Ah, so I see.
Apologies!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  21:52:59
Someone turned a Mac TV into a fish tank

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  00:36:19
quote:

I know. Sicksicksick...

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  02:51:51
quote:

quote:

I know. Sicksicksick...

That was a long time ago, AFAIK, if I'm thinking of the same guy, he also did a LisaQuarium back then too. For a long time MacTV's were just TV's with really crappy computers inside.

jt .

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  06:10:22
quote:
For a long time MacTV's were just TV's with really crappy computers inside.

They still are.

Same with the Color Classics. They look cool, but they don't work nearly as well as they should. The 575 and 5500 were the ultimate compact Macs - they looked good and worked well.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  06:15:05
quote:
The 575 and 5500 were the ultimate compact Macs - they looked good and worked well.

*hugs his iMac 333, which got upset by that comment*

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.