General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 My introduction
Author Topic  
ConsoleCowboy
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  10:43:05
Hi there !

I had been reading the forum for a few day and start posting in "Balloon Help" this morning. I live in Quebec City. I am a Linux support analyst. My technical background revolve around PC. However, I like to try out new platform in my spare time (I own a Sun SparcStation 10 and an HP Appollo 712/80).

Strangely, I dont have much interest in the Mac platform until. I owned a Performa 6400 for a few months a long time ago, but it ran LinuxPPC most of the time. I had been introduced to Macintosh in my elementary school. I don't remember which model it was, but they where monobloc from around 87~88. I always liked the look of these machines but never really had the chance to work on one until recently.

I found recently a few 68K monobloc in garbage and other place. Right now, I have a working SE (without the SuperDrive) and a non-working Mac Classic II. I have the opportunity to buy a IIsi for 5$ (no mouse/keyboard and no monitor) for 5$. I think I will take it.

The SE will be "refurbished", loaded with freeware and given to my son. The Classic I'll try to fix and see afterward. The IIsi, if working, will be loaded with Linux to serve my LocalTalk-only (thus unusable for the moment) LaserWriter IINT on the LAN. I would really like to get my hand on a SE/30 or a Color Classic II so I could run Linux comfortably on a monobloc Mac.

Collecting and/or refurbishing old Mac for friend and relative seem like an interesting hobby to me. I like these machine and I love a good challenge. Since they are usually free or cheap, it won't break the bank. I have a lot of question so I plan to be really active for the coming weeks.

Also, I am currently supplying in a local charity ("L'Entrepot des Sourds" here in Quebec City) where they have a lot of good deal on older Mac gear. Among thing of interest, there are :

- ADB and LocalTalk cable, PhoneNET dongle and AAUI transceiver going for 0.50$;

- 40 MB Apple HD for 2.50$

- Various SE, Classic and II* for 5$

- ADB keyboard for 5$, mouse for 3$.

All price CDN$ (0.66 USD$).

If somebody would be interested in trading, I am looking for a PC LocalTalk card, a SCSI Ethernet adapter or a LocalTalk <-> Ethernet bridge.

Other forum I am participing too are Micro.Info and ArsTechnica. Some of my questions here I might cross-post the Macinstosh Achaia there.

If there are other 68kMLA militant from Quebec, please manifest yourself! I'll be glad to hear from you, and maybe meet someday.

See you all!

:wq

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  12:18:23
Welcome to the Forums!!

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  13:25:43
Get hip Cowboy! Welcome to the corral!

Sit down and have a cup of Javascript...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  13:42:06
Hiya and welcome to Da Forums!

(Obligatory rambling:)
<snip>
Now here comes the now-standard mail ramble, because I don't think its mentioned anywher else. Anyhue, I have a mail server set up that can ALMOST give you a 68kmla email addy.; But unfortuneatly ~Coxy cannot set it up as so, so until then, email would be: username@68kmail.no-ip.org
All for free to replace .Mac, just one of those welcoming things I do now.
</snip>

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.