All Forums
 Balloon Help
 15" monitor on an LC?
Author Topic  
mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  18:09:33
I'm trying to get my apple Multiple Scan 15" monitor to work with an LC I saved from a thrift store for $15.
The LC and monitor both support 640x480. But when I hook it up, I see triple images of everything overlapping. I know the monitor works because I use it everyday on my 6100. The refresh rates seem to be compatible too because applespec says the LC supports 60-75Hz verticle refresh and 31-57Hz horizontal refresh. The monitor supports various refresh rates in this range depending on if it's in Macintosh, VGA or SVGA mode.
Basically this is all I know. I'm stuck! Any thoughts?

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  20:55:27
You're going to need a special adapter to use multiscan monitors with old macs like the LC. Can't remember what its called off the top of my head.

(by the way, you got ripped off. 15 bucks for an LC! They're really only worth like 5 dollars)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2001 :  02:52:09
Hey, i thought this site was all about liberation!
Had I not overpaid for the LC, it would have rotted on the shelf next to a pair of 286's and an ImageWriter printer.
That's not a fitting way for an LC to spend its golden years.

Besides, the definition of the value of something is how much a buyer is willing to pay. I can't think of a single other way that $15 could eat up so much of my free time and cause so much frustration. It's like givig myself an early x-mas present.

If you think of what type of monitor adapter I need, let me know.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2001 :  08:19:22
from lowendmac.com:

Internal video on the IIci and IIsi, and the Mac II mono and color video cards, will not work with multisync monitors unless you use an adapter. Griffin Technology makes a Mac II Series Adapter that works with Apple's Multiple Scan monitors and most Mac compatible monitors. There is also a version for using VGA-type monitors on older Macs.

[url]http://www.griffintechnology.com/video/macsyncii.html[/url]

The page says the adapter is compatible with the High Resolution (640x480) video cards and the internal video on the IIsi and IIci, altough I couldn't imagine why it wouldn't work with the LC.

Anybody else like to add their 2cents?

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
[url="default.asp.html"]Forum[/url] moderator
[url="http://homepage.mac.com/mla68k"]68k Macintosh Liberation Army[/url]Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 21 Dec 2001 :  12:30:57
Hey yea i had to do the same when i wanted to use my multiscan on my quadra 610 and at the time like 2 years ago the adapter was like $20 so yea but it was well worth it.

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napolean

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.