Lounge
 They're cutting us off early...
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  15:14:32
Our original end-of-project date here at Comcast was October 25, but now it's been changed to October 23, due to the lack of calls over the last week. That gives me one week left in the job force before I go back on unemployment, but cuts about $190 out of my budget toward getting a DP 867. Now it's all up to my dad. I talked with him while he was here over the weekend and he's enthusiastic about helping me get a new machine...I didn't pressure him, honest!

Anyway, I don't know how much he can afford to give, but he's getting a paycheck on Friday so he'll let me know this weekend what he can do. I'm gonna need at least that $200 I'll be missing, though probably more since I left a few bills out of my budget plan . If worse comes to worse, I may have to compromise. My absolute neccessity is something with a stock 800MHz G4 and a display of some kind that will manage 1280x1024. I'm looking on eBay for some alternatives, but the price difference between them and the $1800 I'll need to get the deal I want is so small it's almost insane to go woth the cheaper box.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

Edited by - cinemafia on 16 Oct 2002 15:19:04

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  15:22:00
Oh, I found this on eBay, which, if the reserve is around $1500 or so, would be a good deal, but there's one big discrepancy. The copy says it's a 867MHz, but the pic is of a first-gen G4 case. The fastest single-chip, first-gen-style G4's was 733, and only Mac with a single 867MHz proc is a quicksilver...so either this is really a 667Mhz and the the seller made a typo, or the pic is wrong.

My guess goes for the former...

Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  16:37:39
quote:

Oh, I found this on eBay, which, if the reserve is around $1500 or so, would be a good deal, but there's one big discrepancy. The copy says it's a 867MHz, but the pic is of a first-gen G4 case. The fastest single-chip, first-gen-style G4's was 733, and only Mac with a single 867MHz proc is a quicksilver...so either this is really a 667Mhz and the the seller made a typo, or the pic is wrong.

My guess goes for the former...

ya, so why don't you email the guy and ask him 2 things. 1) what's the reserve and 2) what's up with the pic vs. processor speed stuff. That's what i'd do.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  16:47:57
Frig it. I'm almost positive it's 667Mhz, in which case I don't want it, as if it were a Quicksilver, putting a "real" photo of an older G4 on the auction would make no sense.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  02:51:25
The auction ended, at $1500

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  12:23:26
Yeah, frig that. I hope the buyer knows what they're really getting...

Anyway, I took a look at my finances again last night and things are not good. At best, I have about $1200 to spend, and that's not until November 7th. In order to take advantage of the deal at MacZone where I'd get the DP 867 and the free monitor, I have to buy by Halloween.

So, that means I'd need $600-$800 from my dad by two weeks from today...I would only ask him for that much if I agreed to do the website he needs to have done for his business and maybe a few other projects for free. I'll see what he says after tomorrow.

Worse comes to worse, I'm looking again at either getting a 800MHz eMac or an 800MHz iMac 15", either of which I could get for $1500 + shipping off eBay or through the mail (i.e., avoiding sales tax tacked on at the Apple Store or other local vendor). Not that I wouldn't be happy with either, but in a couple years I might regret it.

Edited by - cinemafia on 17 Oct 2002 12:28:27Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 19 Oct 2002 :  09:54:12
Okay, here's the deal. My dad can't help me this weekend, but he can next weekend, which will be just before Halloween, the last day I have to take advantage of the DP 867 with a monitor for $1800. As of Halloween, I'll only have about $1000 toward it, so I asked my dad if he can lend me $800. He said he's not sure, but he can definitely give me $500. So, if he can give me $800, I'll get the DP 867, if only $500, I'm compromise and get an eMac or iMac 800 like I originally planned.

I'll just have to wait until next weekend to find out...

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 19 Oct 2002 :  12:27:13
I wish you luck.

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 19 Oct 2002 :  20:18:32
What's this 'Aqua View' 17" display MacZone is offering? What's it worth? I just ordered a 17" NEC/Mitsubishi from Dell for $126 (after 15% discount), so chances are the Aqua is a generic low-end monitor worth at most $150.

Apple is offering a free copy of InDesign 2.0 with any DP G4 purchase. That's a deal; ID 2.0 retails for $700. I'd take that over the Zone monitor anytime.

FWIW,

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 19 Oct 2002 :  21:52:49
Thinking outside the box...

Do you have relatives or friends who can use their education or teacher or staff discount to get you the DP 867 at a discounted price?

Have any friends in Canada (where the exchange rate *strongly* favours the US dollar. 1 USD = 1.57 CDN)?

Hope that you can get a new DP

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  04:50:29
Over on the DealMac Forum (much more civil since they banned political posting, BTW), the general scuttlebut is that the current DP crop are stopgap kludges that will eventually be orphaned when Apple moves to the new IBM Power4 'Light' processor. So given the parlous state of your budget, maybe a QuickSilver would make more sense. Some of the e-tailers that advertise there may still have new ones available, or you might pick one up at an Apple Store, CompUSA, or other retail outlet--better than trusting unknown sellers on eBay.

Just a suggestion,

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  06:26:35
quote:

. . . general scuttlebut is that the current DP crop are stopgap kludges that will eventually be orphaned when Apple moves to the new IBM Power4 'Light' processor. So given the parlous state of your budget, maybe a QuickSilver would make more sense. Some of the e-tailers that advertise there may still have new ones available, or you might pick one up at an Apple Store, CompUSA, or other retail outlet--better than trusting unknown sellers on eBay.

Just a suggestion,

. . . and a DAMN fine one at that!

I concur with that estimate, until Apple unhitches the mule train FSB limited G/4, there is no compelling reason whatsoever to push for a high end machine unless you have no choice but to buy one, but . . .

SLOTS-n-BAYS-n-PIXELS RULE! . . . there are NO SUBSTITUTES!

Are any of your production apps CPU limited or even DP compliant?

I can't imagine that anything you use wouldn't be just fine for the next 18 months on my 18 month old 466 Digital Audio. I wouldn't get anything earlier than that, but unless you have some X app you NEED that'll run significantly better on a DP machine, you'd be better off getting a BIG monitor and production peripherals.

Use any excess over the cost of something like my box from your limited funds at startup for your SOHO design studio to get mileage out of the most economical machine you can find that meets the standard of mine. Then make money with the production equipment to finance a nextgen purchase after MWSF 04!

Just my $.02 as a budget conscious production type from the year of the flood!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  15:00:45
If all you want is an 800MHz G4, keep in mind that a 7600 can take just such an upgrade. Sonnet sells them and I saw them at buy.com for $370.
You wouldn't get all the other nice things that come with a new G4, but at least you wouldn't have to invest in new peripherals.

mathgeek

68K Macs Liberated: LC, Performa 636, Mac Classic II
My Powerbook 1400 page http://www.its.caltech.edu/~dgoulet/1400Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  16:25:30
I think JT hit it just about square on the head. All computers have a future and not just an immeidate now, although taht can be a BIG part (ex: you wanting 800 Mhz). A bigger screen is a must in your work, so put that ahead of performance. I mean, what good is a big dualie tower if it is only seen through a 5" B&W screen . Prioritize what you want in the machine on paper and choose some options. Shopping around is key if you want money to go far, I've learned this the hard way several times.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  12:21:22
quote:
What's this 'Aqua View' 17" display MacZone is offering? What's it worth? I just ordered a 17" NEC/Mitsubishi from Dell for $126 (after 15% discount), so chances are the Aqua is a generic low-end monitor worth at most $150.

This is it, and it retails for, you guessed it, $150. I've read a handful of reviews of it and it seems to be a decent, flat-CRT that can do 1280x1024, which is exactly what I need. My current desk/space limitations cannot handle anything larger than a 17" CRT, and I can't afford a LCD panel that can do 1280x1024 (who can? ).

quote:
Do you have relatives or friends who can use their education or teacher or staff discount to get you the DP 867 at a discounted price?

I have two relatives who are both teachers. I have looked into this before, and the ratio of discount versus logistics of getting either of them to actually follow through with the process are not that great. They both live a distance from me, about 100 and 200 miles respectively, and both are...um...how shall I say this nicely...lazy? I'm not ruling it out, but it could be January before either of them get off their behinds and actually help me out!

quote:
Over on the DealMac Forum (much more civil since they banned political posting, BTW), the general scuttlebut is that the current DP crop are stopgap kludges that will eventually be orphaned when Apple moves to the new IBM Power4 'Light' processor. So given the parlous state of your budget, maybe a QuickSilver would make more sense.

Definitely not the first time I've heard it. I'm not ruling out getting a single-proc, 800MHz Quicksilver at all. I've actually seen a few decent deals on one. The main reason I've been looking at a DP 867 is because #1, the price difference between higher-end Quicksilvers and the dp 867 is marginal and #2 I figure two procs at 800+MHz is better than one any day!

quote:
Are any of your production apps CPU limited or even DP compliant?

Yes. I obtained a copy of Shake 2.5 and I am very serious about being able to use it to do some high-end video compositing on some footage I shot years ago. Shake's minimum system requires are a single, 800MHz G4 proc, a 1280x1024 display, and Jaguar. I think we all have some idea about minimum system requirements, and the thought of running the app on the barest it supports, i.e. an 800MHz QS, or a new iMac 17" or eMac 800, doesn't thrill me.

If I absolutely can't afford anything else, then I'll go for the minimum requirements, but I'd prefer to do it with a machien that will at least be upgradable to a faster processor, the QS. There are already 1GHz chips available from Sonnet that when I could afford them might come in quite handy.

quote:
If all you want is an 800MHz G4, keep in mind that a 7600 can take just such an upgrade. Sonnet sells them and I saw them at buy.com for $370.

I've considered this, as well. I could drop a Sonnet 800MHz G4 chip in my 7500 for $370-$400. But then I'd need a new monitor that can do 1280x1024. Then I'd need a new PCI video card that will work with QX in Jaguar (Original PCI Radeon + Software Hack). Then I'll want to have firewire, and a faster disk access, so a Tempo Trio from Sonnet and a 40GB or so ATA-133 drive will be needed. Already I'll have spent close to $1000 and I'll still be running Jaguar and Shake on a VERY unstable, 50MHz-bottle-necked system.

So, it's still up in the air. I think I may end up getting a 800MHz Quicksilver, but we'll see!

Edited by - cinemafia on 21 Oct 2002 12:24:50Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  12:57:27
Shake 2.5?

Who the fsck did you kill to get your hands on that?

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  13:02:42
Heh heh heh...don't worry about it.

I put it and all the extras on my Hotline Server, by the way, so when I have 840av.sytes.net back up on a regular basis...well, you know the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  13:08:58
quote:

Shake 2.5?

Who the fsck did you kill to get your hands on that?

Never mind the app, how'dja get the dongle?

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  14:18:22
Dongle? It doesn't require a dongle AFAIK...just the License Manager and an Apple ID.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  14:24:04
I've already found two good deals on local Quicksilvers. Both are 800MHz, one is 256/40 with a 17" CRT for $1350 (not sure about the optical drive, could be CD-RW or Combo drive) and the other is 512/60/CD-RW with a 15" LCD for $1500.

My only problem is getting the money before somebody else snatches one of them up...!

I also found a guy who has some kind of local shop selling sealed DP 867's for $1665, no tax. That would come out to about $100 less than the one through mail, but I'd still need a display...

Edited by - cinemafia on 21 Oct 2002 14:28:01Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  19:27:10
Not to brag, but I got a Viewsonic 17" monitor for $15 at a thrift shop, it pays to look around.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  20:18:37
Have you looked at factory-refurbished DPs? They should be on the market by now, for a couple hundred bucks less than new. If they're factory-refurbished (not reseller-refurbs), you still get the full Apple warranty. Check out SmallDog.com, who deal a lot in refurbs and have an excellent reputation.

Also, watch out for some scammers on eBay, offering appealing deals on Apple equipment and then not delivering (after they have your money). Some have been identified on the DealMac forum.

If your state has a sales tax and the 'local shop' isn't charging, then it's in violation of the law--and probably not only that law.

Random thoughts. . . .

What's 'Shake'?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).

Edited by - mrlynn on 21 Oct 2002 20:19:35Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  23:23:38
If all you want is a display that can manage 1280x1024, look into getting an AppleVision 1710 or 750. Although they are a few years old, they have a good CRT, and if you can get one thats had a good track record, they are GREAT monitors. Plus, you can get an SVGA adapter to use one on a G4.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  12:48:40
quote:
Have you looked at factory-refurbished DPs? They should be on the market by now, for a couple hundred bucks less than new. If they're factory-refurbished (not reseller-refurbs), you still get the full Apple warranty. Check out SmallDog.com, who deal a lot in refurbs and have an excellent reputation.

Yeah, the one Kady Mae got was a refurb from SmallDog. I'd consider it, but with the cost of then getting a display I'd be spending as much as I would on the deal through MacZone. I guess it doesn't really make any difference, but in SAF terms...one transaction is better than two...even if the total amounts are the same.

quote:
Also, watch out for some scammers on eBay, offering appealing deals on Apple equipment and then not delivering (after they have your money). Some have been identified on the DealMac forum.

Oh, I agree. The only way I'm going to buy a high-dollar item like this off eBay is if it's a local seller and they agree to have me come and pick it up in person. Fortunately, living in L.A. has the advantage that there are quite a few local sellers getting rid of relatively new systems.

quote:
What's 'Shake'?

'Nuff said

quote:
If all you want is a display that can manage 1280x1024, look into getting an AppleVision 1710 or 750. Although they are a few years old, they have a good CRT, and if you can get one thats had a good track record, they are GREAT monitors. Plus, you can get an SVGA adapter to use one on a G4.

I already have an AppleVision 1710! It kicks ass on my Quadra 840av, but it requires ADB sync to work, so it won't work on anything beyond a B&W G3. I suppose one could try a USB-to-ADB adapter...but I seriously doubt that it would work.

Plus, I really need something with a flat CRT. I've been using the old CRT's for years and they really don't help my already poor vision, but even the OEM Compaq 17" flat-CRT I've been using for the last 3 months here at work is a beauty, and easy to stare at for 9 hours at a time.

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Oct 2002 12:50:29Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  13:57:48
{{{{{Cine}}}}}}

What G-4 towers are upgradable? Is this an option?

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:03:32
quote:

{{{{{Cine}}}}}}

What G-4 towers are upgradable? Is this an option?

Any G4 tower with an AGP slot.

Take a look here for more info. The 800MHz is $500 and the 1GHz is $700, both come with 2MB of DDR L3 cache. Personally, I'd wait until the prices came down a wee, but it's still a very viable solution for soupin'-up older G4's.

P.S. - Oh I forgot, you can also use them in a G4 Cube, with the purchase of Sonnet's $30 Cube installation kit. Imagine having a Cube running at 1GHz!

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Oct 2002 14:04:43Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:12:03
quote:

Imagine having a Cube running at 1GHz!

That musta been the inspiration for the iLamp design, the 1 GHZ Cube Puddle Mac. :rolleyes:

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:31:47
quote:
I already have an AppleVision 1710! It kicks ass on my Quadra 840av, but it requires ADB sync to work, so it won't work on anything beyond a B&W G3. I suppose one could try a USB-to-ADB adapter...but I seriously doubt that it would work.

Plus, I really need something with a flat CRT. I've been using the old CRT's for years and they really don't help my already poor vision, but even the OEM Compaq 17" flat-CRT I've been using for the last 3 months here at work is a beauty, and easy to stare at for 9 hours at a time.

Actually, you don't need the ADB plug on newer Macs. I once hooked my 1710 up to my iMac, without the ADB, and the iMac was able to push the res all the way up to 1600x1200. I've also done the same with beige G3s at the Shop.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  14:50:22
quote:

quote:

Actually, you don't need the ADB plug on newer Macs. I once hooked my 1710 up to my iMac, without the ADB, and the iMac was able to push the res all the way up to 1600x1200. I've also done the same with beige G3s at the Shop.

Really? Hmmm...interesting. Well...my 1710 just wouldn't cut it anyway. Besides the curved CRT, it's very dim, and has a bit of ghosting on high-contrast images. Wouldn't do at all for what I'll be needing my display for. Thanks for the info, though!

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Oct 2002 14:51:28Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  16:07:53
quote:

quote:
What's 'Shake'?
'Nuff said

Whoa! And it's an Apple product?!

$5,000!

/Mr LynnGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  16:29:24
quote:

quote:

quote:
What's 'Shake'?
'Nuff said

Whoa! And it's an Apple product?!

Well, it was actually created by Nothing Real for the Intel and SGI platform, but Apple took it over and created a version for PPC/OSX.

quote:
$5,000!

Yep. Plus about $1,150 a year for the License Manager.

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Oct 2002 16:30:41Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  17:57:58
Alright, things are looking good. Most of the G4's I've been watching on the Recycler have already sold by the time I contact the seller, but, I've struck some luck with one. It's an 800Mz Quicksilver, 512MB/60GB/CD-RW. The guy wanted $1500 for it with a 15" LCD, but he's sold the LCD seperately, and now I'm trying to see what he'll let the tower alone go for. I'm hoping he'll seel it for something like $1100-$1200, which would be just perfect.

I've already got my sights on some 17" CRT's on eBay that can do 1600x1200 and are $70-$100. Hopefully I'll be able to get both for $1300 or less, which will leave enough to get either the digital camera I want, the printer I want, or a SuperDrive! Wish me luck folks!

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  18:03:55
quote:

Alright, things are looking good. Most of the G4's I've been watching on the Recycler have already sold by the time I contact the seller, but, I've struck some luck with one. It's an 800Mz Quicksilver, 512MB/60GB/CD-RW. The guy wanted $1500 for it with a 15" LCD, but he's sold the LCD seperately, and now I'm trying to see what he'll let the tower alone go for. I'm hoping he'll seel it for something like $1100-$1200, which would be just perfect.

I've already got my sights on some 17" CRT's on eBay that can do 1600x1200 and are $70-$100. Hopefully I'll be able to get both for $1300 or less, which will leave enough to get either the digital camera I want, the printer I want, or a SuperDrive! Wish me luck folks!

good hunting, comrade!

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  18:11:28
good luck!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  18:37:22
The other G4 I'm keeping a close eye on is this one. It's a 867 instead of 800 and has a Superdrive, among otgher goodies. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, a seller with no feedback. But, they are local, so I could go and inspect the unit before ever giving anybody any money. If it turns out to be bad, screw it, so what if I get a negative feedback?

If I can get it at maybe $1300 or so it would be nice. If not, I may just go for the offline deal.

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  18:43:07
SHAKE???????
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

iWant iWant iWant iWant!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting into digital video, only I cannot afford the hardware or software, unless I get the Avid Editing system, with a quadra 950, 2 21" monitors and a big@$$ scsi RAID tower. I would much rather have a DP machine, Final Cut Pro 3, and SHAKE!!!!!!
GHODS, Shake and Final Cut are rapidly becoming industry standard :)

oh well, some day when I am rich and famous
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  23:09:57
Okay, I got more info from the seller in the Recycler.

It's not a QS, it's a Graphite Digital Audio G4 that was originally 733MHz (the fastest of the graphites) but has been o'clocked to 800Mhz. Original GeForce 2MX card, 512MB of RAM, 60GB drive and a CD-RW. I'm kinda leery of the fact that it's overclocked, but the guy says it's had no issues and is running Jaguar just fine.

The best part is the price. He wants $1000 total to ship it, but since I'd be picking it up I might get him down to $900, or $950 at least. For that little I could get a monitor, the $350 printer I want and probably the $350 digital camera I want. Then after I sell my old stuff, I should have enough for other things, some more RAM, a combo/superdrive or an ATA-133 RAID card.

So, what do you guys think? The seller will be out of town until Friday night, but he wants me to call him tomorrow to make the deal a little more concrete. Should I hold out for at least a QS? Is the overclocked 733 something I should stay away from?

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  05:41:19
quote:

So, what do you guys think?

I think you need to make up your mind and stick to it!
I'd be wary of the fact that it's overclocked, myself. Has he got a real reason for selling it?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  06:04:42
quote:

Has he got a real reason for selling it?

I'll bet he thinks the current crop of DDR Duds will be significantly faster than the Quicksilvers (or his current box for that matter).

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  08:03:35
quote:

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  14:28:59
quote:

Could just be a good idea!

But yeah. I'd be wary of the fact that its overclocked, too. Overclocked machines aren't always good production machines.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.