All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 help again!A/UX installing from PowerCD driv
Author Topic  
absolut 68k
Starting Member

6 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  11:41:36
Now that I've borrowed a Apple SCSI PowerCD CD-ROM drive from a friend, I gave the installation one more try. Created boot disk, installed CD-Drive etc, my SE/30 even recognises the PowerCD drive in 7.1 but: When booting from the A/UX floppy, having the A/UX 3.01 CD-ROM inserted, the A/UX Program starts up at startup, says searching for cd-rom files (or somewhat else) and then: No CD-ROM kind of drive found. I copied the PowerCD driver to the boot disk system folder into extensions, but the same thing happened again.

You know, I've spent hours, days so far, and would be really happy to see that damn thing running.
I've already tried to install the A/UX system via floppy disks: Didn't work, but spent hours copying the stuffed installer files from my floppyless ibook over ethernet to my PC over PC-formatted floppy disk to my SE/30 (thank god this thing can read PeeCee disks), copying them from the floppies to the HD, unstuffing them, formatting the floppy disks and then dumping all the installer stuff back onto the now mac-formatted disks. [I had to do this procedure twice or three times, as it didn't work & I didn't know that it wouldn't work without installing it from CD-ROM] Then, succesfully having the installer files on my floppies, the installer started (all that without reformatting the hd and starting up with the a/ux floppy disk) and everything seemed to work well, when suddenly a message said, that my last disk was wrong (actually the installer data was in a folder on the floppy and not right on the floppy) -> fixed the problem, repeated the process again (not only once) until it worked and almost never gave up hope, but then after everything seemed to be right, all disks successfully installed, after startup the console launched, but didn't work...
Well, I actually don't want to annoy you (unless you aren't already) and make myself angry(angrier) about the wasted time, but you see, I've spent VERY MUCH time for quite nothing...

Come on, laugh at me!

But anyway I'd be very thankful for any help, as I think I will spend so much time in this project until I have a full-working A/UX machine.

Now, what am I? A freak or a good Liberator?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  12:11:59
quote:

Now that I've borrowed a Apple SCSI PowerCD CD-ROM drive from a friend, I gave the installation one more try.

My PowerCD rocks, but you should do yourself a favor, find two of the Apple branded external BoatAnchor™ Drives (the neolithic caddy loaders) and buy them before you tear your hair out at the roots! They are VERY inexpensive, you might pay more for a pair of caddies! :rolleyes:

. . . and I'm still waiting for the correct answer to my question as to the reason why every card carrying 68k freak should have TWO of them!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

absolut 68k
Starting Member

6 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  05:00:06
So isn't it possible to use the PowerCD for the installation?
You know, here in Austria Apple has only a very small piece of the computer market cake, so it's VERY difficult to get some ancient Mac Hardware. I was really lucky getting my SE/30 and now having found a usable CD-ROM drive.
Please give me some advice as I'll have to return the PowerCD soon.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  06:02:20
quote:

So isn't it possible to use the PowerCD for the installation?

Please give me some advice as I'll have to return the PowerCD soon.

I don't know if it's possible or not, it looks like it might require an Apple ROM equipped CD. If so it probably won't work because the PowerCD doesn't qualify, IIRC. I'm not the one to ask about installing any'nix tho.

If you can't get it to load now, be on the lookout for any CD equipped 68k that you can pick up cheaply and use the Internal CD and drive from it to set up your own troubleshooting/installation rig.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. Maybe it's looking for a CD at a sp[ecific SCSI address, such as the one most internals areset to by default? It's a long shot, but might be worth a try. (I can't remember which one it is offhand )

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Oct 2002 06:05:44

p.p.s. your email addy in your profile is undeliverable, email me at the one in mine if you want another suggestion.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Oct 2002 06:44:37Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  22:05:44
this is just a thought, but the powerCD drive was released after Apple released A/UX, and therefore is probally not supported by the crusty old AppleCD extention. try putting a more recent extention on your A/UX boot floppy and try again. The CD extention is probally persnickity about anything other than the old caddyloaded drives and stuff that reside in older macs.
good luck
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  03:15:14
quote:

. . . and I'm still waiting for the correct answer to my question as to the reason why every card carrying 68k freak should have TWO of them!

is it so that you can connect them up in the fashion that Dana suggested and watch them talk to each other?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.