Lounge
 Today i did the impossible...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  05:29:06
....i washed a Performa 5260 logic board out in the sink. Literally. This afternoon @ the Shop we had a Performa 5260 come in that wouldn't boot. Naturally, seeing as though its a pretty old Mac, it got dumped in my hands, but i didn't care. They know i love all Macs great and small. Anyway, when i set it up and flipped the switch, it chimed (gawd i luuuve that Performa boot chime), but then it froze at the blinking question mark icon and gave the sad Mac chimes. Tried unplugging the HD and tried booting from the CD. Same problem. Tried taking everything off the mobo except for the heatsink and PRAM batt. Now it was really playing dead, this time emitting the death sound. And although i don't mind the Performa's death chime, this was not the time i wanted to hear it. Put one of the SIMMs back in, booted 'er up, and it booted fine off a Mac OS 9 CD. HOwever, the screen was all distorted and stuff. Shut down, ejected the CD, and hooked the HD back up. This timie it booted off the HD without any problems at all, but the screen was still distorted.

At this point, I had narrowed the problem down to either the mobo or analog board. I thought it was probably the analog, as the degauss sound was really weird. Took an LC580 DOS Compatible, booted 'er up to see if she was ok to use as a "reference system" as i put it. She booted up fine. Took her mobo out and put it in the 5260, with the 5260's RAM. The screen distortions were gone. Obviously, the mobo was at fault. Just before i went and told the results of my diagnosis to my boss, i decided to remove the back fence from the 5260 mobo and put it in the 580. Tried it with the 580's RAM. Ta-dah! The screen distortions were back, just as they were when the 5260 was still in one piece. Went and told my boss. He then tells me about how running water down it may be able to fix it, as it has come from an environment where there is a lot of salt in the air (near the beach). So i shut down the Performa, took the mobo back out, removed the RAM and PRAM batt, and took her for a bath. I put the board in the sink, and while saying my last words to the soul of this innocent Mac, turned on the tap. Its on the shelf leaning up against a pole drying now. Next time i go in i'll put it all back together, if it hasn't already been done. Wish me luck! A very very sad Performa is counting on me!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  06:01:44
Good luck man

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  06:04:50
I seriously don't think I would have it in me to do something like that. You are brave commrade, I hope things turn out for the best!

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  06:36:12
As long as you let them dry well, electronic good and water are OK together.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  06:46:23
quote:

I seriously don't think I would have it in me to do something like that. You are brave commrade, I hope things turn out for the best!

A fresh water bath is the best thing for just about anything that's been in a salt water environment. One of the tips I vividly recall was that if one of my Nikons ever got dumped into salt water, the best thing to do would be to put it into a bucket of fresh water ASAP to inhibit the corrosion from the salt water and THEN take it right in for service . . . still in the bucket of fresh water!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Oct 2002 06:47:25Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  07:41:15
quote:

quote:

A fresh water bath is the best thing for just about anything that's been in a salt water environment. One of the tips I vividly recall was that if one of my Nikons ever got dumped into salt water, the best thing to do would be to put it into a bucket of fresh water ASAP to inhibit the corrosion from the salt water and THEN take it right in for service . . . still in the bucket of fresh water!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Oct 2002 06:47:25

Besides the corrosion aspect of it, it also helps to prevent the salt from crystalizing which would jam and scratch the mechanisms/lens.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  11:23:12
hell, the best thing that can be done for boards that have been in an abusive enviroment is to wash them. I used to put boards from people that smoke in front of their computer through the dishwasher (no soap and air dry) and they come out clean as a whistle and work better (fewer crashes/bombs/BSoDs)
hey, tried and true
the navy does it with circut boards from info collecting buoys
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  14:16:00
quote:
One of the tips I vividly recall was that if one of my Nikons ever got dumped into salt water, the best thing to do would be to put it into a bucket of fresh water ASAP to inhibit the corrosion from the salt water and THEN take it right in for service . . . still in the bucket of fresh water!

OMG!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  14:21:17
quote:

quote:
One of the tips I vividly recall was that if one of my Nikons ever got dumped into salt water, the best thing to do would be to put it into a bucket of fresh water ASAP to inhibit the corrosion from the salt water and THEN take it right in for service . . . still in the bucket of fresh water!

OMG!

Actually, it's standard practise in the photographer's world. I was taught that way back in '93! Just uh, don't try it with a digital camera...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  14:30:26
quote:
Actually, it's standard practise in the photographer's world. I was taught that way back in '93! Just uh, don't try it with a digital camera...

Well well well, you learn something new every day, don't you?

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  17:00:28
wow... THANKS... i'dve tried giving the 6100 mobo and the 6200 mobo baths if id've know that it may help.... already deusefultized the 6100 mobo... but the 6200 is here just waiting for me to do something wiht it

"We all love our macs, let's give them baths"

"Remember kids, always discharge your compact macs before you bathe them"

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.