Author Topic  
foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  05:01:12
[rant]
Someone was looking for A/UX over there, so I say

quote:

Legally it's nearly impossible to find.....

illegally..... contact me.

well I know they had a problem linking to illegal sites, but now do they have a problem with a person helping them find something illegal outside of their site? I can understand fully well if it can be tied to them, but this would get tied to me...

sure editing out my last line may give them some peace of mind, but it makes me furious because I can't talk over there anymore.... I'm not welcome it feels like. I'm on their top 15 list from back in the day when people used to get along with me, but now, it's like screw you, we don't like you anymore. Of course I can't figure out why.

They were talking about replacing a 500 series laptop's LC040 with a full 040 and I got excited and started doing some research and stuff, and I wen't over to Motorolla's site and stuff... I was in way over my head yes, but the response they gave me was not nice.

quote:

foetoid, you're in way over your head here, so shut up

Trash came over and saved me from myself thankfully....

well, I guess I should stop wasting oxygen here (wait..... i'm typing not talking.... whatever) and let you go back to your lives....

thanx for stopping
[/rant]

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  05:06:57
Tizio (a quiet member of the MLA...where have ya been lately Tizio???) was right...'Fritter really IS evil...

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  06:40:20
I wouldn't say that they're evil, just... different.
And not as cool.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  07:01:13
quote:

They were talking about replacing a 500 series laptop's LC040 with a full 040 and I got excited and started doing some research and stuff, and I wen't over to Motorolla's site and stuff... I was in way over my head yes, but the response they gave me was not nice.

quote:

foetoid, you're in way over your head here, so shut up

Trash came over and saved me from myself thankfully....

De nada, comrade. Sometimes I wish somebody would save me from myself when I'm in way over my head.

Don't paint everybody on fritter with the same brush, the member who posted that response tends to be that way sometimes from what I can tell, but that was strong even for him and very much out of line, I liked the way you put him in his place with your response.

I'm sorry I didn't email you about that line in your recent post, that offer should have been made in a private email. They are a little draconian on piracy issues over there, but the MLA is WAY too cool when it comes to intellectual property B.S., we should be a little more discrete over here too, IMHO.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  07:08:33
thanks trash, anyway, i did pass judgement rather quickly.... I'm just dissapointed in them is all....

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  11:28:58
The fritter is wary of the legal reprocussions, they are more mainstream, and I think they fear they might be sued/shut down
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  12:17:10
quote:

The fritter is wary of the legal reprocussions, they are more mainstream, and I think they fear they might be sued/shut down

. . . yet another reason the MLA server should be located at the opposite end of the earth from the rabid pack of legal weasels in Cupertino and their despicable cohorts in D.C.!

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  14:13:11
quote:

I wouldn't say that they're evil, just... different.
And not as cool.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0

Exactly. I still think that apart from the MLA members who frequent the joint, that its evil.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  14:16:42
'Fritter aint so bad. I would hate to not have it around...it's probably the best place to get a really cross-platform audience without being shunned for being a Mac user. If that makes any sense.

And, besides, playing tag with the mods is what makes it fun!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  14:20:22
The site itself is very good, and I have gone bck there to use it as a reverence various times. However, there are a lot of dips**ts on the Forums who like to harrass people.

IMHO, of course!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  14:47:07
quote:

The site itself is very good, and I have gone bck there to use it as a reverence various times. However, there are a lot of dips**ts on the Forums who like to harrass people.

me mucho agreeo

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  17:40:40
el namoes, pleaso
CCC

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  17:48:49
quote:

el namoes, pleaso

That'd be inappropriate, IMHO. Things like that are best judged for oneself. Gossip and forumbashing are not the MLA style and as a mod, I wouldn't want to see it get started.

jt .

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  18:01:57
quote:

quote:

el namoes, pleaso

That'd be inappropriate, IMHO. Things like that are best judged for oneself. Gossip and forumbashing are not the MLA style and as a mod, I wouldn't want to see it get started.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

me mucho agreeo againo

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  18:08:54
iAgree, jt.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  19:20:26
one of my "hacks" made it on the page, so I guess I can't complain...

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org
Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  20:47:09
Well, people can be jerks/trolls on any forum or IRC channel. Were these people long-time posters or new users (I'm not asking for names, it's just more understandable if it were a new user)?
BTW, did the poster say how A/UX is "illegal"? That doesn't sound true to me.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  22:02:19
A/UX is illegal because it has not been released to the public domain by apple (ie abandonware) If anyone reading this thread wants to download A/UX, try www.archaic-apples.com the link says it will be back soon, and is not available, but it still works
good luck
CCC

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  04:13:11
I have a wee nigle with Applefritter to, although to be honest it doesn't really affect me, it's the no rumour mongering thing. As I understood it Apple were only cracking down on people who ran news sites that contained rumours and all the did was refuse to provide Press passes.

Applefritter is *not* a news site and I doubt they would expect press passes. Even then there is nothing to stop them from getting regular passes. I can see why this would be a problem for macworld and such and spymac and appleinsider are the places for armchair management. I really don't see why it's there, and it's not even a post from T O.

Anyway it doesn't really affect my posting but.... just felt like having a rant of my own I guess!

p.s. Quadrajets is that your eBay user name? if so I think I bourht some TV tuners off you a year or ago.

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  05:23:28
Well I never really go to the ffritter fforums anyways.

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  05:46:14
They just have more publicity, more users and such than us over here. Yes we are constantly growing, but If you head to even larger forums such as MAF, you will see quite a few people talkin about AF, but very few about the MLA. Pre-G3 is about the only thing people know us by .

Anyhue, that wasn't my point!
My point is, this gives them a bigger oppertunity for people to just join and not really mean anything. The bigger and easier to get to (in terms of publicity), the more trolls you are going to get. Just look at MAF, you can't make a post wihtout one responding. Meanwhile here at the MLAF, you have to "want" to be here and that weeds out 99.9% of the trolls (have we had an incident yet?) and leads to a very fun and enjoyable environment.

Thats my small amount of money.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  06:19:45
I'd have to agree with Penguin here, at least partially. The growth is more of a double-edged sword. Where-as there are instances of jerks showing up out of the popularity, I feel that an equal amount of people that join are very admirable in how they will contribute to the forums. I originally found this place because of a link in someones sig over at MAF. Since then, I've rarely been back over there, because I found so much more over here. The same will come from AF.

To hit one other point made in this thread. On the idea that we're more relaxed in our rules than AF. I'm not really sure that's it exactly. In both forums, we have simular views about acceptable content. We just try to more tactful and respectful over here. It certainly could have been handled better, without causing further problems or resentment.

Well, that's my two-cents worth on it.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  06:58:48
First of all, the same member over there just got snippy again. :rolleyes:

About the no rumormongering policy statement over there, that's my fault. I posted a thread about the new towers with image links displaying the piccies on the french site in the forums over there, just like I did here.

IIRC, I put a disclaimer in it that said to kill the thread if it was inappropriate because it was unclear what their policy was at the time and there had been the blowup about rumormongering/press passes flap the week previously. It was an exciting Sunday afternoon in Mac land!

The same photos were on Ars and SpyMac(?) both of which were contacted by Apple's Schyster in Chief with the same old song and dance about infringement which, IMHO, is TOTAL B.S.

Whatever, none of the sites that were contacted with those phony emailed "cease and decist" tuschie tissues were actually "news" sites, they were sites like the MLAF or AF for the most part (SpyMac is in a class by itself . . . thankfully! ).

I still think we should be a little more discrete around here, I've given up on suggesting that we actually be more careful. :rolleyes:

jt .

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  23:48:00
I find that a lot of time on Applefritter the information given on machines is wrong and leads to goose chases by the posters there. If you want to research a machine I would look elsewhere. The guys here have more hands on knowledge and make an effort to check their sources.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.