68k Software
 System 7.5.5 RAM Disk on SE/30
Author Topic  
bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  19:56:33
I'd like very much to use System 7.5.5 RAM disk on my stuffed (128Meg) SE/30. When opening the Memory control panel applet, the option for RAM disk is not available. Yet, I do have that option when opening the Memory applet on my LC630.

Does the applet only allow System 7.5.5 RAM disks to be created on '040 processors, or is it disabled because the SE/30 is not 32-bit clean? If the latter, I'm hoping that replacing the SE/30 ROM with one from a IIfx will do the job (after some massaging, I'm sure).
However, if it's due to the lack of a '040 processor, can anyone suggest a suitable, bootable RAM disk app? (Rambunctious works but is not bootable).

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  21:08:54
I used to use RamDisk+ on a PB100 under 7.0.1•,IIRC, dunno if it made it up to 7.5.5, but it was solid when I used it.

Go to Top of Page

bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  21:16:28
quote:

I used to use RamDisk+ on a PB100 under 7.0.1•,IIRC, dunno if it made it up to 7.5.5, but it was solid when I used it.

Thanks.
Ramdisk+ is a primo RAM disk app but it crashes and burns under 7.5.5.Go to Top of Page

bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  18:06:27
Well, a little more research on my part could have avoided me exposing my ignorance and this reply to my own post.

Aside from all machines '020 and under, the SE/30, and the whole MacII line cannot use Apple's Ram Disk. The closest thing I found to an explanation was that they are "incapable". It's not because of dirty ROMs (IIsi is clean). It's not because of 30-pin SIMMs (Quadra 900, 950 can use Ram Disk). It's not because of '030 CPUs (LCIII and Performas can use it). It's not because of the MMU. It's not clock speed (IIfx can't use it). My guess it that it's because they're old, even though they seem as capable to run Ram Disk as many other machines. (In fact, my SE/30, clocked at 50MHz and with 64K cache, can run circles around some of those machines that can run Ram Disk.)

Well, I found Maxima 3 and that seems to do the job for me. With 128 Meg in my SE/30, I have far more RAM than I need to run the applications I want. So, I load my whole System Folder and all the folders containing all the applications I'll ever want to run into the Maxima RAM disk. When using Maxima, it kicks you out of 32-bit addressing mode, and with some legerdemain, makes 12 meg of application RAM available. That isn't quite enough for what I want, so I enabled Virtual Memory (using the RAM disk as the VM media!) and I'm sailin'.

So far, the only down side is reboot, where Maxima loads the RAM disk image. This takes time, far longer than a regular hard drive boot. But once I'm up and running, that little SE/30 sure feels perky!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.