General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Introduction
Author Topic  
bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  19:26:59
As per custom, according to the FAQ, I'd like to introduce myself and comment how encouraged I am to see an active forum frequented by people with penchant in 68K Macs. I thought I was alone, adrift in a sea of current technology, with only a few islands of support for my eccentric interests.

After abandoning Apple in 1992, I was left with a large, expensive collection of software. For reasons unclear, I've once again become interested in these ancient products and I am reviving my old platforms to accomodate them.

I have resurrected my old SE/30, fitting it with a 50MHz DiiMo accelerator, 128 Meg RAM, Farallon network card and a 256 Meg drive.
I'm waiting for a IIfx ROM delivery, which I'm hoping will make the SE/30 32-bit clean. I have a Micron Xceed /30 video card that I'm planning to somehow add to the 2 existing cards inside.

I recently bought an LC630 with 36 Meg RAM to which I've added an Asante network card and replaced the CPU with a 68040. I plan to try to overclock the logic board to 40 Mhz and replace the internal IDE drive and CD drive with larger/faster units.

I've acquired about 8 or 9 external, server-grade, SCSI drives that provide these 2 machines with over 30 GBytes of storage. I use VNC to control these Macs from my Win2k workstation and, running Netpresenz FTP server on the Macs and Webdrive FTP client on the Win2K, I'm able to easily drag and drop files to and from the Macs and from the Windows machine. The Macs have Internet access through my home Internet gateway and I plan to create an Internet presence one day, using the Macs as servers.

I have plans for my MacPlus, too, but only after I get the others up to snuff.

I suppose once I'm bored with running Mac OS, I'll install Linux or NetBSD on these babies. But, until then, I'm having fun with this deadend hobby.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  19:29:52
quote:
I have a Micron Xceed /30 video card that I'm planning to somehow add to the 2 existing cards inside.

You just shot way up the ranks with that droolworthy piece 'o hardware!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  19:35:36
quote:

quote:
I have a Micron Xceed /30 video card that I'm planning to somehow add to the 2 existing cards inside.

You just shot way up the ranks with that droolworthy piece 'o hardware!

YUP! Welcome aboard and congrats! That's some nice piece of history you've got in the works. I assume gamba is your inspiration for the three card hack?

If I can resurrect the /30 I picked up I'm going to have to make do with just a Rasterops card and NIC. The memory and accelerator sound really sweet!

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  20:08:35
Welcome aboard. If you ever need any software for that already very sweet setup, be sure to check out my server, free as always!

I've also decided to tell all new recruits about my mail hosting service. I have started hosting since the fall of iTools. Can't get quite 68kmla in the name, ut if you want a "username@68kmail.no-ip.org" account aht allows POP, IMAP and webmail, be sure to post back or drop me a line.

Above all, have fun!

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  20:13:07
That is a sweet setup. welcome

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.