LC / Performa
 Getting an LC630 to boot from a SCSI Drive
Author Topic  
bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  17:37:10
I'm having trouble getting an LC630 to boot from a SCSI drive.

The internal IDE drive has System 7.5.5 installed. I'd like to copy the drive contents to an external SCSI Jaz 1 Gb cartridge, replace the IDE drive with a larger one and, after booting from the Jaz, copy the saved system over to the larger IDE drive.

When setting the Jaz as the startup disk, the LC630 balks during boot, claiming:

"This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model. (System 6.0.5 does not work on this model; you need a newer version that does.)"

Pretty clear, I guess, but I'm not using System 6.0.5 and I'm not sure which installer is being referred to. The Jaz drive was formatted with Lido 7.5.6. I get the same response when I use a conventional external SCSI drive, too. (Quantum 4 GB).

Other than this problem, the Jaz drive works fine. When booting from IDE, the Jaz drive mounts, is readable and writable and works with a number of cartridges.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  18:19:41
I've never been able to boot from a Jaz/Zip drive on a 68k. I wouldn't recommend it even if it were possible, in any case.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  18:35:03
quote:

I've never been able to boot from a Jaz/Zip drive on a 68k. I wouldn't recommend it even if it were possible, in any case.

That hasn't been my experience. My SE/30 (50MHz DiiMo, 128Meg) boots reliably from the same Jaz external drive. However, I am wary of making a Jaz cartridge my primary boot medium. But as an interim boot medium for the situation I described, it should be fine...if I can get it to boot.Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  18:43:15
I've booted 630's from external Drives, IIRC. If you're having problems just boot off the CD, if you haven't got a CD, get something like Retrospect Express use it to make a boot Floppy, do a backup onto the jaz cart and restore onto the new drive. Copying system folders isn't supposed to be good practice unless you're doing a Direct SCSI Copy anyway. IIRC, RetroExp will let you do that too.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  00:30:52
quote:

That hasn't been my experience. My SE/30 (50MHz DiiMo, 128Meg) boots reliably from the same Jaz external drive. However, I am wary of making a Jaz cartridge my primary boot medium. But as an interim boot medium for the situation I described, it should be fine...if I can get it to boot.

Thanks for telling us about the SE/30. When you boot the SE/30 off the Jaz, what version of Mac OS does it start up in? Because it sounds like you have a System 6.0.5 system folder on the Jaz disk somewhere.

Also, jt, although they say you're not supposed to copy system folders from one disk to another, thats the only way i actually managed to get my Zip disks to boot back when my old click-click drive still worked!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  04:06:05
quote:

Thanks for telling us about the SE/30. When you boot the SE/30 off the Jaz, what version of Mac OS does it start up in? Because it sounds like you have a System 6.0.5 system folder on the Jaz disk somewhere.

It depends which cartridge I use, of course. I'm usually booting into 7.5.5. In the case of the LC630, different cartridges were initialized and the IDE contents copied. If there is a hidden 6.0.5 system folder, I haven't been able to find it. I'm a little suspicious of Lido and the driver it installs in the driver partition. But I have no other means to initialize the Jaz cartridges.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  04:26:16
Good point about Lido. Why did you format the Jaz with Lido, anyway? IMHO you're better off formatting Zip/Jaz disks with either the Erase Disk command in the Special menu, or Iomega Tools.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

bargepole
Starting Member

Canada
22 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  20:57:52
quote:

Good point about Lido. Why did you format the Jaz with Lido, anyway? IMHO you're better off formatting Zip/Jaz disks with either the Erase Disk command in the Special menu, or Iomega Tools.

I chose Lido because Iomega tools wouldn't start (-192 error. Missing resources?) Erase disk only deletes the data partition(s) and not the driver partition. Also, I needed to get the Jaz cartridges mounted before I could erase.

However, I think I now know what the problem is. I wondered why I couldn't get Iomega working as you suggested. I reformatted the Jaz with Lido, copied over a boot floppy to the Jaz and rebooted. Lo and behold, the system booted. So, I've got a corrupted system on this LC. No surprise, seeing how I bought it from a novice user. I'll back up the IDE, remove it, and do a full reinstall on the new, larger IDE.

Thanks for your help.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Oct 2002 :  01:02:26
Ah, -192 eror. You must have a PowerPC native version of Iomega Tools. -192 means that the software is PPC only.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

macaka

France
88 Posts
Posted - 21 Oct 2002 :  16:44:23
Hello.

If you want to autoboot your LC630 from your optic reader , install a system superior than your LC630.the mac read the newer system.It's a hierarchical boot.

The LC630 read system 7.0 with enablers and work fine with a system 7.1.( with enablers if you have a performa )

It's the war....Go to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  18:24:47
I would get the mac hd tools 7.3.5 or latest you can find and "update" the driver on the jaz or perhaps use something like silver lining. My syquest drive worked fine on my 6360 after I ran silver lining on it.

Useless 6360 16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 1/20/6.0.8 :)
Q840av - DEAD :`(
Q650 256/230/7.6 Woot!
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :PGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.