Lounge
 Mac Spotting
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  14:04:27
I took my parents, my wife, and little Cleo to the L.A. Natural History Museum yesterday and had a great time. I also spotted a Mac, something you don't always see in use at Museums. It was in the Discovery Center/Insect Zoo, there was what was either a 7300, 7500 or 7600 with a small-ish Apple monitor and Apple laserr printer behind the desk of whoever ran that department. I could get close enough to read the actual model number, but I'm sure it wasn't a beige-G3 desktop or a 7200.

This is actually the second L.A. Museum where I've spotted a Mac. At the Skirball Cultural Center I saw a PowerBook 160 being used as a prop in a display case and several G3 AIO's being used as media kiosks!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  08:07:56
I was just at the Science Museum in Boston, and in the bird habitat exhibit there was a display that challenged visitors to see if they could sneak up on some birds, represented by some sort of motion detectors. It was running on a Mac: you could see the menubar on the screen that displayed yr motion in graph form.

I could sneak up on the 'Easy' bird every time, but couldn't beat the 'Hard' level. Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  14:37:12
At the Maritime Museum in Fremantle, over in the "Mac-deficiant" state of Western Australia, I spotted 3 iMacs. One was a slot loading iMac 350, or iMac DV 400. Obviously i couldn't determine which type just by looking at it. This computer was a kiosk machine, hooked up to the internet, so that people could check out their webpage. There was also a blueberry tray loader and a BondiMac being used as PoS (Point of Sale) terminals.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  16:05:56
I saw a macintosh (MACINTOSH, as in 128K ram, single 400K floppy, no SCSI) behind glass with a trackball wired upto it at the museum in ontario (it was a custom job because the mouse wire was covered in black tape) it was cool, and I got to see that old thing in action! it had some sort of access privlages thing installed, because it gave me a popup whenever I tried to take out the boot floppy, or dismount the hard drive, and it was along these lines...
quote:

you do not have access to this function. please contact the administrator of this computer about access privlages

it was coooool, but it must have been there for a while because it was telling me that it had "a lot more ram then other computers avalable today" and that "it has a very fast processor" and also that "it has something not commonly seen today, the GUI"

oh, BTW, it was in a corner where nobody would see it, or care about it. I plugged the exibit in, and it booted, and worked an stuff.

ThnXN
"Phurdy PhIIIktahr!"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.