NEWS! Apple changeing archetecture
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  10:55:50
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/02/10/14/158211.shtml?tid=126

read that, and the story it links to. Apple is buying PPC IBM chips.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  11:24:26
IBM has always had a hand in developing the PPC chips, but what the heck is motorola doing backing out of the deal? That is VERY odd....
should we worry about motorola?
CCC

BTW, that article has some inconsistancies in it, like it was written by a PeeeeeeeCeeeeee user
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  11:43:00
That's been a headliner over in MacAch for weeks, moto is concentrating on the embedded proc market, we'll see what happens when the "sources" are the companies involved!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  12:10:39
More fuel for the no-booting-in-os-9 fire.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  18:28:17
Aparently, we get IBM's Power4 and Power3 processor...
Motorola, on the other hand will be putting G5's into... OF ALL THINGS, Cell Phones... this is what i hear from other people though...

I can think of a million other things that deserve the power of a g5 rather than a cell phone... and i can think of a million other procs that are more suited to the job...

for gawhd's sake... a Mac SE could do all of the functions of a cell phone (anyone have an old Modem, a copy of HyperCard and a phone line? that's basically all you'd need for your MacSE SuperPhone THING... of course, the SE is HUGE, and takes more power and isn't exactly wireless... but it's a start...

if the g5 goes into anything that's portable, please god, make it a game system, really tiny computer or some kind of SETI@home client machine that's on the cell phone network

hmm... SETI cell edition?

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  20:09:40
If the G5 goes into cell phones, then it's hardly a great desktop CPU, is it? "G5" is just a name people! It's funny how often people seem to forget it.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  20:12:39
The only thing on my mind, is will there be an upgrade path?

I have a dual 800 sitting here, and If I'm getting screwed out of upgrades down the road, I ain't gonna be happy. This machine is only a year old and still performs like crazy.

The cross over from 68k to PPC had some upgrades, but I do not recall it being the "best of times" for such a move. Would this be the same here?

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  20:53:52
quote:

The only thing on my mind, is will there be an upgrade path?

I have a dual 800 sitting here, and If I'm getting screwed out of upgrades down the road, I ain't gonna be happy. This machine is only a year old and still performs like crazy.

The cross over from 68k to PPC had some upgrades, but I do not recall it being the "best of times" for such a move. Would this be the same here?

Upgrades are ALWAYS way too much money when they are available at all from Apple. A third party accelerator would be the only thing that could make any sense financially. Apple is in the new machine business the more disposable the better the product is for them.

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  03:48:14
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,543317,00.asp

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  06:03:26
quote:

Upgrades are ALWAYS way too much money when they are available at all from Apple. A third party accelerator would be the only thing that could make any sense financially. Apple is in the new machine business the more disposable the better the product is for them.

Well I figured I wouldn't buy from apple , But I was wondering if it is such a large change, are there even going to BE any upgrades from ANYone.

If they change it over, I doubt the ZIFs (if they even stay ZIF with the next proc) will be compliant. It just got me wonderign as to whether we could be expecting Sonnett GPUL procs and whatnot

All I know is I have been reading the colder, harder facts on just the Power4 and its implementation for IBM, and that CPU will do some serious crunching, and being able to use such in a mac will kick some serious a$$

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.