#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  23:04:38
Umm... Thanksgiving is at the end of November. Today is Columbus Day.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  00:35:16
we don't even celebrate thanksgiving here in aus.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  01:07:22
quote:

Umm... Thanksgiving is at the end of November. Today is Columbus Day.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

US and there thanks giving at the end of november :rolleyes:
Well today is thanks giving up here in canada .

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  15:09:09
Why is it thanksgiving in Canada today anyway?
What important event happened in Canada to make thanksgiving in the middle of October? Spite of the American holiday perhapps?

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  15:35:14
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Even if I'm not from Canada...and haven't ever been there...I was born in Wisconsin so I was sorta on the cusp.

Things I'm thankful for:

1. A wife who is also a true partner, who is doing everything she can lately to support me and what I want to do and become.

2. A daughter who loves me unconditionally, but also challenges me as a relatively new father to reconstruct the views of parenthood that I had before becoming one. She's also a hell of a lot of fun!

3. Having the BEST apartment in my complex. There's 102 units in my apartment complex, and they one I've had for more than 2 years now is the best 1,050 square feet out of all of 'em. It's about 30 feet from my front door to the pool/jacuzzi or the manager's office, both of which one of my two patios faces, and I'm another 60 or 90 feet from the front gate of the complex. Now if only I had hardwood floors...

4. A car that is everything that I wanted in a vehicle, and that has been running great without anything more than normal maintenance for over a year, something that can't be said about any of my cars before it.

5. A job at present that altough not exactly what I want to be doing is letting me learn a lot while spending a ton of time doing nothing but posting to forums and the like, and yet is slowly funding my purchse of a Dual 867MHz G4.

6. Getting a Dual 867MHz G4 in 2 weeks, which will be the first new machine I'll have purchased since 1986.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

Edited by - cinemafia on 14 Oct 2002 15:36:08Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  21:59:54
We celebrate Thanksgiving now because we know the "right" time to celebrate it. It's also because it's colder here and we harvest earlier. If you have anything to say about Canadian Thanksgiving just remember who the 2002 Olympic Hockey champions were!.

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, SE 4/40, Classic II 4/40, IIx 8/160, IIvi 8/260, Quadra 650 32/260, Mac Quadra 650 64/350 via basilisk II, iMac 333 160/6G

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  05:39:41
quote:

If you have anything to say about Canadian Thanksgiving just remember who the 2002 Olympic Hockey champions were!.

Umm, not sure what that has to do with it. Did the Native's teach you the sport perhaps? We celebrate it for the our thanks for the help recieved when we first came over.

Happy ThanksGiving Danny and to all those that are celebrating it now. There should be more days around the year to remember the unity we all could share and appreciate.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  07:38:16
Canadian Thanksgiving is earlier because (as was actually stated) they have an earlier harvest season.

Thanksgiving in the US is often attributed to the story of the pilgrims and almost dieing the first winter, and then the natives helped them prepare for the next year, and taught them to grow foods and all that...

While that story is very true, the natives have had a harvest/thanksgiving holiday at that time period for a very long time. The holiday most likely came with them from their Russian/Mongolian forbears when they crossed the land bridge at the Bearing Straits at the end of the last ice age. The theam of giving thanks is one found in many of the agricultural societies in the world.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.