All Forums
 Lounge
 My turn for X help...
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  09:13:39
Ok folks, this may be Jaguar related, may not be, but for some reason I cannot get a partition of one of my drives to mount at all. I have tried Drive 10 on it and it reports everything as being fine, but it will not mount. When trying to mount, it says "the disk unknown failed trying to mount, please open disk first aid, etc." And I do such, to no avail...

This started happening about a month ago, but strangely, THREE days AFTER I upgraded to jaguar (via clean install). When I went to jaguar, I completely erased one of my drives, and re partitioned it (it wasn't partitioned at all before) into 4 partitions. Is there any connection there? Does jaguar have a partition limit?!

I'm ready to call apple, but I want to ask you people first, and sad to say, you guy usually know SO much more than them. I guess that really isnt sad, but definately pathetic on apple's part.

I don't know, I havent had much sleep, Thanks in advance guys and gals.

~The Exhasperated (sp?) Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  11:20:53
Have you tried the *nix boot command? or have you tried to run fsck -y on it?
Don't be sprised that when you phone apple they'll say reformat and install.

P.S. Does it work in os 9?

-danny
#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  14:28:04
I haven't tried eitehr one of those. I'm afraid I am completely useless in the Terminal window and have no idea how to do a thing. So, how would one go about doing this stuff?
Thanks

~The Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  15:32:13
Ok, I got it to mount after intensive work in both disk aid and drive 10, but it won't stay this way. I've got all 25 GB cleaned off of it and so now Im posed with a question. Can I erase just a partition. I should have asked apple that when I was on the phone with them! (btw, they said to erase it, LOL!, yeah, backup and erase an 80 GB disk, FUN!)

But yeah, my main question is now, can disk first aid in Jaguar erase JUST a partition?

~The Penguin

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  20:52:37
your turn, huh? Muh! 10.2 is the source of all current mac-related Evil!!! my computer STILL won't boot properly!! I think 10.2 has a partition limit of like 8 partitions... I need a drive that will boot into 9.2, but I don't want to format my 40GB IDE drive until I have it backed up (because I have all kinds of neat stuff on it that I don't think I'll find it again)... does anybody have a spare 10-20GB HD I could borrow?!

THnnxXNN!
"this is the most POINTLESS game of pool in existance!"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

Edited by - boredomconquersall on 13 Oct 2002 20:52:53Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  21:12:21
quote:

your turn, huh? Muh! 10.2 is the source of all current mac-related Evil!!! my computer STILL won't boot properly!! I think 10.2 has a partition limit of like 8 partitions... I need a drive that will boot into 9.2, but I don't want to format my 40GB IDE drive until I have it backed up (because I have all kinds of neat stuff on it that I don't think I'll find it again)... does anybody have a spare 10-20GB HD I could borrow?!

Live and learn kids, buy a new HDD BEFORE mucking around in the system folder of your primary drive with an untested O.S. release. Get everything up and running on the new one, leaving the old drive intact.

Better yet, wait until you read about all the problems the impetuous optimists run into and install the bugfix version on that new drive after all the problems have been discovered for you.

Look at the bright side, when O.S.XI ships, you'll be grizzled veterans telling the new recruits how to do it right.

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  22:08:21
The thing I find is for you to get actual support from apple , they always tell you to "reinstall" just say "I already did that" and you will get some actuall support!

-danny
#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  22:23:52
true... but, I did plopp a new drive in, leving the old one intact. it was a 2GB COMPAQ, so I had problems, and plenty of them. I beleve that it was messed to begin with, and now I must find an IDE drive that is 1GB or more. oh, BTW, knowing them ppl at apple, they will probobly make OS11 G4 and up, and make it so G5's won't do anything below 10, but we will find a way around THAT, now won't we.

ThnNnnx
"my gosh! she's a tenor!"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  22:48:37
quote:

true... but, I did plopp a new drive in, leving the old one intact. it was a 2GB COMPAQ, so I had problems, and plenty of them. I beleve that it was messed to begin with, and now I must find an IDE drive that is 1GB or more. oh, BTW, knowing them ppl at apple, they will probobly make OS11 G4 and up, and make it so G5's won't do anything below 10, but we will find a way around THAT, now won't we.

ThnNnnx
"my gosh! she's a tenor!"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

I'm begining to doubt if there is going to be a g5: < http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,543317,00.asp >

-danny

#############
#***********#
#*=========*#
#*=Hockey!=*#
#*=========*#
#***********#
#############
Go to Top of Page
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  05:35:48
Well I just screwed trying to get it to work and erased it. I am still confuzzled as to who to blame though. Liek i said, it was 3 days after jag was installed, and again its running fine now....

Might have just been drive degredation, and giving it a nice new reformat and all that fun erasing stuff which must feel SO good knocked some sense into it!

~The Penguin

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  10:02:45

could it be?! IBM is steering AWAY from microsoft?! hmm... there could be G5's AND that other IBM chip... this could be interesting... or it could mean the downfall of macs, because IBM is still working with microsoft, and it will make macs incredibly unstable, unless using microsoft or IBM products, and the world will tremble under bill gate's huge wad of cash!

this is the future that, we hope, won't happen, because he will decide he's the king of the world, then the solar system, then the galaxy, then the universe, and then he will crush us all with his big head

BTW, they'll still try and cut out 9 and below by any means possible.

THnx
"LhOOOOOOk aht my PhUUrdy PHiktAhr!"

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  17:11:44
IBM hasn't worked with Microsoft for many a year, nowadays.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.