UNIX on 68k
 NetBSD for the Quadra
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  22:16:27
I've done my research and of the 3 major BSD distro's with "BSD" in the name, free, open and net. Net has the most support for mac68k machines, and at this, it has support for the Quadra's onboard ethernet...

How will i go about building one CD that has all that i need in the way of a bootloader, installation of the OS, and a graphical interface... maybe one of the ones at one of the HL servers...

Official 68k videographer

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  08:22:33
Can't help you with the CD part, but I can give you some general advice. :)

The NetBSD/mac68k bootloader is actually an application which runs under the Macintosh system software, so you do not require a bootable CD or floppies (as you would on other platforms). For this reason you may want to download the bootloader from '/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.3/mac68k/installation/misc' first as well as a kernel from '/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.3/mac68k/binary/kernel', simply to make sure the thing will work (I generally find NetBSD 1.4 to be superior to 1.5 and later for mac68k). This won't give you a prompt or anything, but it will let you know which devices are supported and which are not.

The installation is generally done with the installer in '/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.3/mac68k/installation/misc' for the base system. The base packages are found in '/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.3/mac68k/binary/sets'. You would then use pkg_add (and friends) to install additional packages. The additional packages are in '/pub/NetBSD/packages/unsupported/1.4.3/m68k'.

You don't need everything from these directories. The 'base' and 'etc' packages will let you work with the shell. The 'comp' and 'games' packages are quite useful too. X is not very impressive. Even a basic installation is slow and colour has always been tempermental. If you choose to run it, you should get away with the 'xbase', 'xfonts', and 'xserver'. You may also need 'xcontrib'.

II2II
Intelligence office in training.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.