68k Software
 Emulating a 486
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  18:44:13
How does SoftWindows 3.1 work on the 68k> and is there a software that will emulate a full 486 with real ROM that can run other x86 software? I would like to have something like this to do because running NT on the Quadra would be cool... although i would rather like to find a 68k version of NT (they had a PPC version... why not 68k)

Official 68k videographer

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  19:19:39
Emulating a 486 on a Macintosh 68K isn't easy unless you have a hardware card whith real Intel chips on it. Most emulators can do 286 or 386 at most..but I doubt NT will run that well.

The only emulator that can emulate a 486 on a 68K is MacBochs, but it is very slow. You won't be able to run NT on it. Microsoft never made operating system products for Apple machines, most likely because of the licensing issues related to Windows 1.0 and the fact that Apple may have flat out refused any support. But that part is just speculation.

I have various emulator products on my ftp server so when it goes back online on Monday you can grab products by the name "SoftWindows 68K", "SoftPC" and "RealPC". Some versions of these emulators come bundled with Windows 3.1 and Dos 6.22, so that will give you some taste of windows, but don't expect much to run...mostly dos applications and maybe a few Windows 3.1 programs.

If you really want to emulate a 486 for NT, your only option would be to look at used hardware stores to see if they have Apple's Dos Cards (a 486 Board that plugs in to the Mac.). There are other such products/boards, but they are even harder to find than Apple's. I know OrangePC and others made Dos Compatibility cards..but it's never the same as a real PC.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  21:19:41
quote:

Microsoft never made operating system products for Apple machines

This is just idle speculation: two of Apple's WGS ran AIX and (IIRC) there was a port of NT to the PowerPC, so maybe NT worked on a couple of Apple's machines. :)

quote:

If you really want to emulate a 486 for NT, your only option would be to look at used hardware stores to see if they have Apple's Dos Cards (a 486 Board that plugs in to the Mac.). There are other such products/boards, but they are even harder to find than Apple's. I know OrangePC and others made Dos Compatibility cards..but it's never the same as a real PC.

It is almost a given that NT will not run on Apple's DOS compatibility cards. OS/2 certainly doesn't, and Linux probably doesn't, due to driver issues. From what I heard, Apple's floppy drive support is just too high class: it is on the SCSI bus.

From what I have heard, the Orange Micro cards were quite good so you may have better luck there.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  19:31:53
Since when is AIX a Microsoft product?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 14 Oct 2002 :  22:13:36
AIX is an IBM product. The question is: did Apple make the WGS compatible with AIX or did IBM make AIX compatible with the WGS? If it is the former, the WGS may also run NT.

II2II

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  21:16:21
ok... I'm sure that it'll be better to run NT on emulation on the iMac rather than on the Quadra then

YAAAYYY! an excuse to actually GET an Apple NetWork Server!!
Something to use NT on!

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  21:52:06
You will need the PowerPC or Multiplatform edition of NT though and this assumes the the Network Servers are compatible with IBM's PowerSeries or RS/6000. More info on NT/PPC is here:
http://home1.gte.net/res008nh/nt/ppc/default.htm

II2II

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.