Lounge
 Voodoo F-550 Imola
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  15:33:24
I came across the PC Magazine article that ranked the iMac as the best consumer desktop system from another forum, which I found interesting in and of itself, but while I was there I saw the Voodoo F-550 in Imola Orange.

Wow...I've never truly been impressed by the design of high-end PC's like those from Alienware and what-not, so this truly comes as a surprise. This thing is gorgeous...it's a heavy-duty aluminum case that has been painted with automotive, burnt orange paint and has a tempered glass front door and a cutom-lighted inside with cut-awat side panel. The keyboard and monitor both match the case's orange paint, too. Maybe I'm just baised, since Ochre/Burnt Orange is my favorite color in the world (and if you go to the OEM site they are available in other exotic-car-inspired colors, like Ferrari Red and Lamborghini Yellow), but damn this thing is nice.

It's also very expensive...the one they tested at PC Mag had an MSRP of $6000 and that's with a relatively low-cost CRT monitor. Of course, it has mobo IDE RAID with two 120GB ATA-133 drives in a striped array, but still...that's one luxury 'puter. Of course, I would love to get a hold of the empty case and hack a Dual 1.25GHz G4 with all the trimmin's into it...

What do you guys think? The OEM claims it to be the world's first "Luxury" PC. With a starting price of about $3000 for the CPU alone I guess they're right...but how does this compare to Apple's high-end workstations? Most of all, should this give Apple and incentive to re-think their PowerMac case design, one that hasn't changed dramatically in 3 years?!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

Edited by - cinemafia on 11 Oct 2002 15:39:39

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  17:13:46
*bump*

nobody else likes this wacky orange case...?

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  17:25:47
I like it, and it proves my point of how mac's quality is higher than the typical PC, thus the higher price for macs (alogn with other things) If you look at the prices of highend, nice solid machines like this and alienware, the prices are alot closer to macs. I do not want to start a battle by saying this either, I was just pointing it out.

So yeah, I actually like the case too and am now off to their site to take a look at more!

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  17:49:04
quote:
I like it, and it proves my point of how mac's quality is higher than the typical PC, thus the higher price for macs (alogn with other things) If you look at the prices of highend, nice solid machines like this and alienware, the prices are alot closer to macs. I do not want to start a battle by saying this either, I was just pointing it out.

Yep, that was my point, too. Though, I tend to think this stuff is far better than anything Alienware has put out...

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  18:51:09
Yes, this stuff is of higher calibur, but alienware is DEFINATELY not a "dell" company.

BTW, if you go to the voodoo store, it is REALLY cool when u custom build a machine, just incase anyone here cares.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  19:14:21
Yeah, I did the custom build, too. Too bad even the bare-bones model is as much as a Dual 1.25GHz...

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.