All Forums
 68k Software
 Macintosh Software Archives
Author Topic  
Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  03:00:12
For those of you who saw in previous posts that I had a FTP server online for downloading archives, I have changed slightly the way it works. I want everyone whether on highspeed or not to be able to get files.

I am slowly converting files to HQX format to post on the ftp server. This way you don't have to download an entire archive just to get one application.

The ftp host is: "girlspace.no-ip.org"

Username: "68mkla"
Password: "68k"

Because the machine is used for other servers as well, please note there is a 20 user limit. But I have tried to keep file sizes low so that most users will be done quickly.

DO NOT LAUNCH MULTIPLE THREADS OF CONNECTIONS TO GET A BETTER SPEED, OR YOUR IP WILL BE BANNED.

The reason I have set a username/password is to be able to log access and make sure that people take the effort to log in properly, not just browsing via a browser and guest access.

I will have an upload directory a soon as I have a new hard disk to handle all the files. The archive has grown to over 4GB!

Plus, I now have Rhapsody DR2 Intel and DR1 PPC and the DR2 Intel VirtualPC Hard Disk Image. So I'm sure lots will want that.

Please post here what you think about this server, and of course add requests. :)

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  12:20:40
Very cool! It's working great even from within IE 6 here at work!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  18:07:29
Are any more volumes online? I have the first gig (4 volumes)

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  20:44:32
All the volumes are ebing broken down to individual files to make it easier to download.

If you have a previous volume, load it up and see what files you ahve and then browse the FTP to see if there is anything new. There are new files being added like versions of Rhapsody for PPC and Intel. So check around.

And understand things in the "sorting" folder may move suddenly..so don't get something that is really big unless you have a fast line otherwise you might have to search to see where it is. :)

I did it this way because not everyone has a high speed intyernet to downlaod the 250MB archives.

Also, as a side note, when i transfered the archives from disk to disk, they came out as *.hqx.txt files so there is no worries as to unstuffing them...just the way it came out.

Have fun.

Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  23:38:03
Also a quick note, all the current archives and latest additions are now online, I am sorting them as we speak.

I will be postining here a full list of what is online very soon.

Citon x600.

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  11:46:25
The .hqx.txt files don't work. My browser (iCab) doesn't recognize it as a StuffIt (.hqx) file, it doesn't download anything.
Could you convert it to .hqx (or even better, .sit)?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  20:45:25
I have renamed them to HQX.

*.sit format is not a god format for the internet because it is easier to get corrupted than HQX. In time my server will be moving to a UNIX system which will better support HQX.

Even Apple's Official Downloads are iether in HQX or BIN.

Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  00:56:13
Just to let you know the archive is offline for a short bit.. I am backing everything up to CD as a good measure and I have a need to re-install my machine from scratch so I want it all done right.

The archive should be back online by Monday at the latest.

Also hopefully soon enough I will have Original Masters on CD-Rom of the archive so the software will be safe from loss. Also if you have extensive archives of older software and don't have bandwidth or speed to contribute, send me the info and I can send you blank CD's.

It's amazing how fast the archive is growing. In fact I have close to 4Gb but only 2Gb is online and sorted. The rest is in shambles.

Also! I have lots of older drivers for archaic devices. So when the server goes online I will be putting a text file with a listing of what I have access to. Let me know if anyone is looking for those. Those are by most rights legal to hand out.

Untill I get back online.. hold the fort and keep liberating those Macs!

Citon X600

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  11:18:42
I know you've got a lot to do with this, but here's one suggestion:
Leave everything in individual files like you're doing so people with slow connections can get one file, but also make 650/700 meg collections for easy cd archiving...is that possible?

{ candyPunk }

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  15:49:17
If people can donate space for the archive volumes I will create them but at the moment I have exactly 300MB left on a 30GB system.

If people have a server that is fast and can accept uploads...then I will make the volumes and upload them. But as for having both, I don't have enough space. :(

Sorry. But if you want the large volumes...provide a nice space for them and I will upload it.

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  16:11:23
Why don't you upload them to the hotline servers?

-Danny
Forum: http://www24.brinkster.com/catsdorule1/
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  17:06:00
What Hotline Servers?

They are all down the last time I checked...and I don't want to put more strain on Duckie's server..I'm more hopefully taking it away.

I got a few e-mails from people who wanted me to upload the archives but they never e-mailed back with details as to where I could upload.

The e-mail address is citonx600@telus.net.

Probably what I will be doing is when I get some more blank CD's is create a Toast image and burn the stuffed Toast Image on the CD so I can get a few on one CD. Then if you are interested, I will just Upload a stuffed Toast Image. Hows Does that sound? I managed to borow a USB CD Burner, so I can do some things. :)

Citon x600

Go to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  17:09:02
DO NOT USE HQX FORMAT

Encoding files in HQX format causes them to become 33% larger. Do not use HQX format! Encode with Stuffit. That is plenty enough.

Note, that unless you have Stuffit Deluxe, just renaming to .HQX does not cause it to be a HQX file.

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4 (main mac)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead, but I still keep it :,( )Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  17:20:15
The files are on a Windows 2000 Server. They MUST be in HQX or BIN to prevent damage. Windows doe snot treat SIT or other macintosh file names properly.

Even though at times you can get away with downloading SIT files from the internet, I take the example of Apple Inc. who provides ALL thier downloads in HQX or BIN to prevent damage and make sure you thier valued customer gets what you came for.

I realize that this is bad news for some in that it takes longer to download, but it is good news that it's less time than downloading a 250MB volume. And Since these files gets bounced back and forth between my machine and another EXT2 partition on another *NIX server....I want them to stay intact. I have run across many files encoded in SIT and they would not unstuff on my Mac because of corruption. So I'm taking the larger option of encoding to HQX to make sure these gems don't corrupt.

And I have decided on making the archives into optional Toast Images so if people want the images, please let me know. And Also....please tell me whether the Toast imges should be 650MM or 690MB. I don't keep up to date on CD-R's ext., so I'm almost pretty sure people are using 700MB CD-R's now as a default..so 690 is a safe number without pushing the limits too far.

:) Citon X600

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  18:29:21
http://users.creative.net.au/~mla/mla_site/servers.html

-Danny
Forum: http://www24.brinkster.com/catsdorule1/
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  19:23:52
Sorry all the official 68KMLA servers are down.

They all "Timed out waiting for remote host".

:(

Citon X600

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  14:18:33
Tis true...

{ candyPunk }

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  16:16:15
FYI, .sit.bin files take less space than .sit.hqx files, and they work just as well. Also, AFAIK, any Stuffit archive (.sit) can be stored on a PC without losing any data. I've done it many times.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  16:33:46
Yes sit files do work but I'm not willing to take the chance.

Is anyone else? I don't want to sound like I am arguing but the simple fact is that If Apple Inc. gives downloads in BIN/HQX it is a good example to follow since they are very precise when it comes to quality products.

I use DropStuff so HQX was the only option i saw.

Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  16:52:58
Is it really that big of a deal how much space something takes? 3 megs vs. 4 is not the end of the world, is it? 30 vs. 40 is a bigger deal, but either sucks when you're on dial up! If there's any doubt over integrity, let's just be safe and shoulder a slight inconvenience

{ candyPunk }

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  18:55:33
UPDATE!

Sorry Folks but I am taking a unexpected vacation.. it was just offered to me and I could not refuse so the FTP will not be back online till monday because I'm not feeling up to leaving the machine open that long without me being near.

I'm a tad paranoid since Windows is not a safe platform and I am still converting everything over to a universal format to go to Unix. So untill then, i'm leaving the box off. Besides, I have not put any updates on the machine yet, nothing more dangerous than leaving a factory restored box on the net for a few days unattended. :shiver:

Patience is a virtue. Patience is good. :)

On a side note, I got my hands on OpenStep 4 for Intel. I also am purchasing from my friend an entire Macintosh Archive...about 2-4GB in total. So that will be added to the archive space permitting.

Citon X600

Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  15:03:33
Just to let people know I am still on vacation, I will be on Vacation untill Oct. 23rd, so the FTP will not be online untill sometime after. I am taking my vacation in Tumbler Ridge, BC and It is a 16 hour drive back to Vancouver.

So I am having fun with the horses up here and wildlife and such things.

I am posting this message from my sister's PC, she is on dial-up, no highspeed in Tumbler..aka it's a very small town of about 2000 people and the companies won't sink thier teeth into it unless you pay the big bucks.

Anyone know of a good links system that could connect the Infrastructure from the nearby city that is wireless and can travel 100KM using line of sight? hehe that is the dilema.

:P

Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 17 Oct 2002 :  22:16:18
Great to see someone else from beautiful Vancouver here at 68kmla!

Kami

Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  14:18:44
<offtopic>
I lived in Powell River for 13 years of my life
(if you live in vancouver, you will know what powell river is, at least I hope so...)
</offtopic>
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
Guardian of Obsolete Equipment
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PM 8600/300
Apple // series rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  02:00:02
quote:

Is it really that big of a deal how much space something takes? 3 megs vs. 4 is not the end of the world, is it? 30 vs. 40 is a bigger deal, but either sucks when you're on dial up! If there's any doubt over integrity, let's just be safe and shoulder a slight inconvenience

On a regular dialup the 4MB file will take 22 minutes and the 3MB file will take 17 minutes. I would much rather have the 17 minutes.

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4 (main mac)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead, but I still keep it :,( )Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  13:16:43
quote:

On a regular dialup the 4MB file will take 22 minutes and the 3MB file will take 17 minutes. I would much rather have the 17 minutes.

Even if there's some lingering question of whether or not the file's integrity will be preserved? I mean, I don't know of any reason that stuffit archives won't work, and I guess people do it, but the question has been raised and no one has proved it to be inconsequential quite yet

{ candyPunk }

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  10:04:27
Update:

I am back from Vacation and I am making Master CD's from my collection. Once that is done, I will be able to make Toast Images for those that want it.

If people are really worried about speeds, then someone create a small service where for a few bucks you can have the CD Master Copy delivered to your door. Not only does it save time but heck it saves your patience for something you really need it for. :P

I am sorting stuff out right now, since got some new files. I also am deciding on what items to publish and what not to depending on space. I most likely will not place Rhapsody online for now. I made this decision on 2 factors: 1.) It's not 68K 2.) It's x86 and PPC. So if you would like Rhapsody, I may put it up for a limited time if I have the space. I'll post when I do. But mainly right now I have 68K Archives that will be online.

I realize everyone is trying to be patient...I have a tonne of files to sort, and I want to be sure everything is 100% before I open the ftp's doors again.

So hang in there...the archives are gonna be here. :)

Go to Top of Page

dunbar

USA
87 Posts
Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  11:46:46
quote:

For those of you who saw in previous posts that I had a FTP server online for downloading archives, I have changed slightly the way it works. I want everyone whether on highspeed or not to be able to get files.
Archives of.... what?
quote:
The ftp host is: "girlspace.no-ip.org"
Username: "68mkla"
Password: "68k"
Dead right now.... still sorting?
quote:
DO NOT LAUNCH MULTIPLE THREADS OF CONNECTIONS TO GET A BETTER SPEED, OR YOUR IP WILL BE BANNED.
thanks for the warning.... I've been getting a little cozy with a downloader, lately and might have tried it.
quote:
Plus, I now have Rhapsody DR2 Intel and DR1 PPC and the DR2 Intel VirtualPC Hard Disk Image. So I'm sure lots will want that.
Not until I know more about what it does!

:-\ I gotta remember to check in more often... /-:

Linux is my choice. Mac was my guide. M$ is not my friend.Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  21:24:51
Just an update, the archives are still closed due to hard disk space problems.

But I have them archived on CD. If people want to arrange some form of trade or obtaining the archives via CD etc., then e-mail me.

citonx600@telus.net

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.