Lounge
 Okay, okay...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  21:32:46
I'll admit it. I take back what i said about 580s. Yesterday afternoon, at the Shop we got in a LC630 with a big sign stickytaped to the top saying "IT JUST WENT PUFF". Tried ferreting around for another PSU and chassis harness, to try in the 630. Couldn't find one. So i pulled out a 580, and started it up to see if it was any good. It booted up fine and passed all the MacTest Pro tests. Put in the ethernet card and extra RAM from the LC630. HOwever, this time i did not get a happy Mac. It started crackling and sparking, instead. Got another known good 580, put the bits in there, and ran MacTest Pro. This one passed, and was safe to use. Either way, after working with them all afternoon, and seeing one die a painful death, i take back what I said about 580s being fugly. Maybe i'm just getting used to 'em or something...i dunno.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  21:48:41
quote:

i take back what I said about 580s being fugly. Maybe i'm just getting used to 'em or something...i dunno.

I still haven't seen one - cept in photos, and they don't do a great deal for me :D. however I once thought the quadra/centris 650s were the butt-ugliest ones... and they're actually kinda funky looking irl :D.

dana

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  00:26:32
Hehe...i actually like the look of the C650. Especially with the caddy CD ROM drive. What would make it look really cute though, would be if they had designed the AppleCD 300 to shoot caddies out of the slot, just like with my old click-click drive! Now THAT would be FUNNY!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  00:05:28
I give the Performa/LC 520/550 the nod for the ugliest Mac, I'm thinking Amelio or Spindler were in on that one...

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  16:47:36
quote:

I give the Performa/LC 520/550 the nod for the ugliest Mac, I'm thinking Amelio or Spindler were in on that one...

Actually, I sorta liked the 5xx series. Maybe because i remember having one in my classroom when they were new or somethin, but i actually think the 5xx series has something approaching sex appeal.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  17:02:36
I always thought the CC had a case design that shouldn't happen to a PC! When they put a bigger monitor on it for the 5xx series with the wings on the sides I thought they'd finally outdone the CC in the ugly department.

CC's have finally started to appeal to me a little bit, but the 575/580 still makes me wanna puke.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  17:57:39
Wings???

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  18:03:43
quote:

Wings???

Those Fugly@$$ protrusions on the sides to fit the bigger CRT, If they'd put it in portrait mode it would have been a much better looking design. When the 5xxx series came out it looked MUCH better than the 5xx kluge, to my way of thinking anyway.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  18:05:45
Ah yes, i see what you mean now.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  18:42:13
I often thought that the Quadras and the PPCs that shared the same tower had a spectacularly ugly tower.

Yes, it was very easy to open.

But ... So, you've got the main body of the tower and then you've got this other chunk that's like 2 inches shorter?

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/9600.shtml

The look of the case violates so many basic aesthetic principles, most notably some tried and true notions of proportion and balence.

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2002 :  19:53:18
Yeah...I personally like the 9500 better thn the 9600/G3 Beige Tower. Though, that early, pre-bondi button at the top was always nice.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.