Lounge
 Clear Luggable!
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  08:06:18
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2059337031

A clear portable for $1,500 , is it really worth it?!

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  08:22:53
I've seen the clear SE, but this is a new one. I think the price is WAY high, especially since it's NOT working. I'm sure you can get a working Portable for less than $50. Collectable or not, I don't think the price is justified and besides the Portable is nothing more than a Plus shoehorned into a smaller case. (Apple contracted Sony to do the engineering.)

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  09:04:05
Well someone bid on it.

-Danny
Forum: http://www24.brinkster.com/catsdorule1/
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  09:24:55
quote:
Well someone bid on it.

*steals catsdorule's cash*

*goes and bids on it*

*finds out even WITH cats's cash he doesnt have enough *

~The Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  11:00:40
How many of them did they make?

Value is a function of demand. If they are rare, and enough people want them, the sky's the limit.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  11:29:28
quote:

How many of them did they make?

Value is a function of demand. If they are rare, and enough people want them, the sky's the limit.

*DROOLS COPIOUSLY*

. . . is also a function of coolness! that sucker ROCKS!

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  11:38:23
That is sweet!! Apple usually used those clear cases when developing new systems. The first one I ever saw was the SE20, the prototype for the SE30. Those working on the projects were normally the ones to take them home, then on to collectors. Fab find, Penguin!!

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  12:04:22
I can't imagine there being more than a dozen of these in existence...and, it would be easy to swap the mobo from a working Portable into it.

If I were a collector (i.e., if I had a buncha disposable income lying around), I'd get it!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  14:12:53
Is it possible that this might be one of the McMobile laptops? I know it does not look like the one in the picture at lowendmac.com, but according to the description, the one shown is an early prototype, not the one that was actually sold.

http://www.lowendmac.com/clones/mcmobile.html

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:22Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  14:40:55
I don't think it's a McMobile, simply because the case looks exactly like a Portable's case, only transparent. It wouldn't have been possible for Tezuka to have created a case that was identitcal to the Portable...

Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  16:38:31
hmmm.... that screen looks bigger than mine... 640x480? now THAT would be cool.... oh, and most ppl just plug it in, and think it's gonna work off the PSU, but as many of us know, portables require 7.5V2A power to boot, and portables allso require a hard-reset if they have not had ANY power put into them for the longest time, so in all likelyhood, it is a functioning unit... I love portables. someone should make an exact copy of the portable case (or any of the powerbooks, for that matter) in a turbocad document, and send it to one of those 3D printing places. calgary has one (I think) so someday, when I have a job, and I have another portable, I'll have a clear case made for it, and one that's easier to dissasemble...

ThNNXXX@!
"feels like i'm wearing nothing at all! NOTHING AT ALL!! NOTHING AT ALL!!!!"

Edited by - boredomconquersall on 09 Oct 2002 16:43:34Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  16:45:31
IT also has the multicolored apple on it. Although, I guess clones could put that on there as well but still. And how big is a regular portable screen that this one looks bigger, I do not know much aboot these machines. My guess however, would just be that because of the transparency, you can see the outside workings of the screen, creating an isslusion of being bigger.

With only one bid, it seems liek it must be overpriced, even to all those out there nitpicking ebay.

~The Penguin

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  18:16:51
That is really cool. However, its not $1500 cool. Just the case alone, however would be worth at least US$200 to a dedicated collector, who could put a working Portable into the case. Either way, iWant.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  20:23:28
If it has a 640x480 screen, then it's definetely not a prototype Portable.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Kyusaku Natsume
Starting Member

USA
24 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  22:01:46
Assuming it was a real Portable prototype, I'd pay as much as $500 for one. But $1500 is way too much. Maybe a Clear case 128k...that *might* be worth $1500. Or the first Macintosh off the line, though that one is probably stored at Steve Job's house.

Otaku-in-training; Specialties in Anime, Macs, Storms
Liberated Macs: 5 In progress: 11Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  06:24:39
ROTFLMAO!

Some guy with a rating of 2 just bid on it! WHeeeeeeeee!

~The Penguin

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  13:08:51
"Buba74" won it...at $1,525. I took a look at his track record and the two positives he got were for a TRS-80 and a Xerox 1810 that he bought, but he has two neutrals for never paying for an Apple II numeric keypad and a Kaypro II. Looks like he's a Nouveau-Collecteur. But, does he really have the cash...?

Edited by - cinemafia on 10 Oct 2002 13:11:49Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  23:45:56
I know I poo-pooed this clear portable thing at the beginning, I still don't think its $1525 cool, but then again I'd say that this is something I'd have to see in person before I'd pony up that much for it. BTW, Mr. Kaypro will probably end up selling it to buy some old Zenith 248 or maybe a HP Vectra workstation 'coz it was used by some politico in D.C.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.