All Forums
 68k Hacks
 SE/Lisa Gaming Computer
Author Topic  
asan9000

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  10:19:11
Hey all. I had this idea, and I was wondering if you could help me out...

I want to do one of the following:
1. Put an NES, and possible a SNES as well, in a Mac SE (Or other compact mac) case, with built in tv
or:
2. Put an NES, SuperNES and N64 in a Lisa case w/ built in TV

Now, awhile ago someone was talking about a tv/vcr combo they found that would fit in a n SE. Does anyone know what this was? I wouldn't need the VCR, but....

Also, does anyone know of a device that would allow me to switch between 2 consoles? Like this:

NES SNES
I I
I________ I
I
Device
I
I
TV

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  10:47:21
quote:

Now, awhile ago someone was talking about a tv/vcr combo they found that would fit in a n SE. Does anyone know what this was?

NES SNES
I I
I_________I
I
Device
I
I
TV

*the masked ASCII art </code> tagger strikes again!*

I take it you want to switch the controllers along with the TV signal?
hacking some kind of an AB switchbox would probaboy be the way to go along with a standard TV A/B switch.

topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=2097.html

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

asan9000

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  10:52:58
oops - my little diagram didn't work...

NES...........SNES....
...I................I........
...I_______I.......
..........I..................
.....DEVICE.............
..........I..................
........TV.................

there.

Go to Top of Page

asan9000

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  10:58:08
wow - i actually caught someone on here.

Im not sure what you mean about switching controlloers, but basically, it would just switch which device is sending the signal to the tv. and i would locat the switch on the outside of the case so you can switch between systems.

also, i would lie to have something like this, so you would have the option of an external tv:

NES SNES
I I
I______I
I
DEVICE
I
I
TV Switchbox
I
__I________
I I
SE monitor External monitor hookup

Go to Top of Page

asan9000

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  11:00:47
aww, man. screwed it up again. Well, hopefully this works:

NES SNES
I I
I_____I
I
DEVICE
I
I
TV Switchbox
I
__I________
I I

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  11:20:01
quote:

aww, man. screwed it up again. Well, hopefully this works:

NES SNES
I I
I_____ ______I
I
DEVICE
I
I
TV Switchbox
I
_____I_____
I I

Maybe you need to make sure you're using a monospaced font in your browser window to do your diagram? Dunno . . . does it liik OK in your browser the way I'm formatting your graphics?

If all you want to switch is a TV connection the way you seem to be showing it, two standard A/B switches for Television Coaxial cable should work fine. I thought you meant something like a KVM Switchbox that'd switch TV-Game Controllers-Whatever instead of the standard Keyboard-Video-Mouse setup.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. the one labeled device is just reversed to be an A/B input switch for the second set up as an A/B output switch for display choice.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 05 Oct 2002 11:23:30Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  11:32:02

NES SNES
| |
|____ ____|
| |
_|___|_
| |
| A/B | <-Standard Game/TV Switch:
|_______| normal orientation for use as
| input gate for TV
|
|
___|___
| |
| B/A | <-Standard Game/TV Switch
|_______| used in reverse as output gate
| | for 2 TV Receiver Circuits
___| |___
| |
| |

This is more what I think you probably will want to do,
if I understand the description of your goals.

NES SNES
| |
|____ ____|
| |
_|___|_
| |
| input gate for TV
|
|
___|___
| |
| B/A | <-Standard Game/TV Switch
|_______| used in reverse as output gate
| | for 2 TV Receiver Circuits
| |___
| |
| |
| 9" TV/Receiver (Replaced SE CRT/mobo)
|
|
| ____Antenna/Cable Box/VCR/Whatever
| |
_|___|_
| |
| input gate for TV
|
Television
(External monitor hookup)

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edit: Hopefully this relabeled diagram is clearer.

I don't know if NES and SNES controllers are interchangeable, I don't really do video games at all. If they are interchangeable an A/B switch rewired with the proper connectors should work fine. Otherwise an adapter would need to be used to modify one or the other could be used if one is available or is practical to hack if it is a very simple connector adapter, a pinout conversion or something like a signal inversion that wouldn't slow down the interface. Dunno, but you could check out HardwareBook and other pinout sites in the links on the website or the links project in the peripherals forum.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 Oct 2002 12:05:15Go to Top of Page

asan9000

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  20:51:06
hmm... looks like the problem was that i was using brackets instead of parenthesis...

your diagrams show upfine...

any ways. Yes, i would want it like you said. I went to radioshack today, and they have a box that will allow you to switch between to coaxal inputs - are you saying I would be able to simply use this in reverse to switch monitors? If so, that woudl be great. Otherwise, I also found a coaxal splitter, that would allow me to send the signal to both TV's. Unfortunately, this means if you were using an external monitor, you wouldnt be able to turn the internal one off, but not a big problem (kinda cool to have it on 2 tvs at once, actually...)

As for the controllers:

I was planning on just using the standard controllers for both machines, but are you saying there would be someway of using the same one for both? That would be great. I was wondering if there was something like those keyboard/monitor switchboxes for multiple comps, but for systems, but I dont know of any such thing :(

I was thinking it might be possible like this:

I have seen products that allow you to use the controller from one systemwith another system (for example, there is one that lets you use a PS2controller with a Gamecube). If there was one of these (preferably something that would let me use a SNES controller on an NES) then I was thinking I could hack it so it would send the controller signal to both systems, but that would be a little out of my area of expertise, and it seems like there would be some compatibility issues (since the controller receives power from the console)

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2002 :  11:25:00
I've seen a lot of NES stuff over the last few years, but I've never heard of a controller sharing device. Sorry. I think it would be more common now as there are so many more systems with cooler controllers, but back then, there wasn't much point. It probably wouldn't work just to splice them, because I doubt that they used the same software to handle input

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.