Newton
 Newton 2000?
Author Topic  
NewtonQ
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  10:04:35
Got a question...

There doesnt seem to be a serial port on my mp2000.... Someone said I may need a dongle... does this dongle connect to the small flat rectangular port near the AC port?

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  13:37:31
You need a dongle that connects to the interconnect port that you mentioned. DOngles can be a bit expensive but if you need to use a keyboard or connect to a Mac then this is the cheapest method.

An alternative to the dongle is the SER-001, a card with the serial port that you install internally in the 2000. Google the following SER-001, David Humphrey, Mr. PCBman

If you need a modem, wireless or ethernet, then you need a PC Card

Hope that helps

Kami

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  10:52:26
It depends on what you waqnt to do really.

IF you have a Mac with IR... you don't NEED a dongle.. you can use one utility to load packages onto your newton vie the IR port.

There are several methods of getting packages onto your newton:

1) Serial Dongle
2) SER-100
3) IR port
4) copying them from another newt via a card (ssome pkgs can't be done like this)
5) Modem (only if the packages are not compressed.. unna.org is a good source for these)
6)via Ethernet

For modem or Ethernet, you have to get the proper drivers and software onto the newt to begin with.

IR is a good bet if you have a PowerBook with IR or one of the old iMacs with IR. Be wary that this wears down the battery FAST!

Also, if you do NOT have a serial port of any kind (dongle or SER-001), then make sure you get a card that you can do full backups on to, and use ONLY for that purpose. If your Newt ever gets really screwed up and you have to do a brainwipe reboot, then you'll need it to restore your data.

the IR software is DIY Tester

Soon we'll have Sync abilities in Jaguar via a Cocoa app that works via Ethernet, which is when I can stop useing my serial port dongle. I'm buying an SER-001 at the end of the month tho.. I use my Keyboard alot.

Also, the long port (Newton InterConnect) isn't built well... after alot of use, it will cave in and break. Another reason for the SER-001

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.