All Forums
 Lounge
 PowerPC 405Mhz Processor In New GameCube
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  20:19:36
I think that it rocks that there is a PowerPC 405Mhz processor in the new Nintendo GambeCube. Was there also a mac processor in the N64? Thats kool cause the rival ( EVIL MICROSOFT!!!) xBox which is fat and augly has a yucky PIII 900mhz, my friends pc has one of those and its soo slow i had a AMD 450 that ran linux soo much faster than his. Once again apple is the legacy company. I soon await new Titanium GameCubes in america already in Japan, If ne of you want a pic tell me and ill soup up a link for all ya.

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closers"
Napolean

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  21:02:23
Yup. The N64 didn't have the same chip as was in Macs (well, it was some RISC chip) but the NES shared the same proccessor with the Apple ][ (6502). While the SNES shared the same proccessor with the Apple IIgs (I believe).

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  21:07:22
Actually, the processor used in the XBox is a 733MHz Celeron or PIII (not sure...)

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2001 :  11:44:38
quote:

the NES shared the same proccessor with the Apple ][ (6502). While the SNES shared the same proccessor with the Apple IIgs (I believe).

You are correct, sir

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  09:10:55
Xbox = 733 MHz PIII, I saw the review of it on TechTV.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 20 Dec 2001 :  14:51:16
That's right 733 mgz off the shelf pentium 3... The Game Cube uses a modified G3 powerpc prossesor, called the "Gecko".

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 20 Dec 2001 :  15:53:59
Remember that the PowerPC chip is in no way an "Apple" chip. The Apple computer MAY use it, but anyone can build anything they want from a PPC chip, as long as they buy it from Motorola or IBM.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Pentium chips.. .they are what they are. They MAY be more suited for some uses than the PPC chips are. Regardless, it's the Mac OS that makes it better than Windoze. I just wish they ran on the same hardware so it was easieer to prove.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 21 Dec 2001 :  09:35:45
Valid point: mac beats windows, PPC doesn't necessarily beat pentium. However, I take great issue with the way that Intel + AMD chips are clocked. 1.5 ghz?!? An 867 mhz G4 would smoke that sucker! Well, maybe they're actually about the same. But compare an 1ghz pIV and and 800 mhz G4, and it's no ****ing contest. RISC does certain things more efficiently than umm....whatever it is that intel chips are, and it works the other way too. But in general, PPC chips are better or at least equal, despite what the world will have you believe with their clock speeds and outrageous claims.

{ candyPunk }

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Dec 2001 :  20:50:18
quote:

\But compare an 1ghz pIV and and 800 mhz G4, and it's no ****ing contest. RISC does certain things more efficiently than umm....whatever it is that intel chips are

Intel+AMD = CISC
Motorola PowerPC = RISC

CISC vs RISC

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

benightedbastard

Australia
62 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2001 :  07:46:34
I was under the impression AMD chips were RISC based with a CISC emulator tagged on top.Go to Top of Page
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2001 :  10:42:50
quote:

Intel+AMD = CISC
Motorola PowerPC = RISC

CISC vs RISC

An interesting page - good to know. I read an article comparing the two once but of course forgot it all immediately. Good basic info here

quote:

I was under the impression AMD chips were RISC based with a CISC emulator tagged on top.

Man, how inefficient would that be? Ever try to run virtual pc? It might not be that bad since you wouldn't be running 2 OS's at the same time, but it certainly wouldn't be as clean as a real chip. This better not be one of those instances when I don't know what I'm talking about and turn out to be an idiot again...I'm right, aren't I?

{ candyPunk }

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Dec 2001 :  04:27:37
I heard that the Intel and AMD chips were actually blends of RISC and CISC technology now.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.