All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Quadra 840AV
Author Topic  
MudPuppy
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  10:06:56
I have a Quadra 840 AV. I recently tried to add 4 256k sticks to it. When I bump the res up to 1024x768 with Thousands or Millions of Colors I get a rectangular section in the lower right that has transparent lines running through it. My first though was I had a bad stick or ram so I started swapped them all out. It didnt help. I'm thinking I may have a logic board problem.

I have at my disposal several Raster Ops and Apple accelelrated video cards in the 2,4,8 meg sizes. Do I need a driver for these? Will the Apple just plug and play?

I am running OS 8.1

I also would like to overclock this machine. I'm not using the serial ports so I'm not worried about the side affects. Does anyone know which crystal is the 20mhz? The crystals arent sytamped with the freqency, only a part number.

Does anyone know of a good source of browsers and other software that are 68k compliant? ANy good ftp sites or P2P software other than limeware?

MudPuppy

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  11:37:08
Ok, you added the 4x 256k VRAM chips to the mobo, right? And you're trying to display from the onboard video connector, right? Is the rectangular section you're seeing the desktop itself, but placed only in the lower right corner of the monitor, or is it some kind of weirdness that's superimposed over the desktop in the normal position on the monitor?

As far as the Nubus cards, RasterOps cards do require special drivers, and they can be difficult to source. Apple cards do not, however.

The crystal oscillator you want is part # CTX125-ND at Digi-Key, 1 (800) 344-4539.

Best browser on an 840av is iCab, followed by Netscape 4.08 and IE 4, both of which have better Java capabilities but tend to be slower.

For filesharing, you're limited to AppleTalk, FTP, Hotline, Carracho, and the new Chatline. LimeWire or other P2P's won't run on a 68k.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  06:34:51
The link in my sig for NuBus City has got a download link for some RasterOps driver disks.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  10:52:08
ooh, if you fill the slots with the biggest, (in vRAM) and coolest looking video cards and then just use the internal video for a lower resolution, you'll be happy, that is... if you have 4 mac monitors... I happen to have 3 just lying around, but i don't have any NuBus video cards, if i did though... they'd all be in the 840av

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  11:43:13
quote:

. . . i don't have any NuBus video cards, if i did though... they'd all be in the 840av

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2058084375

They're not very good cards, IIRC, but check'em out, the price will be right!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  21:22:01
quote:
For filesharing, you're limited to AppleTalk, FTP, Hotline, Carracho, and the new Chatline. LimeWire or other P2P's won't run on a 68k

Carracho does not run on 68K anymore. Now it's this badly bloated Carbon crap.

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4 (main mac)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead, but I still keep it :,( )Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2002 :  11:35:51
quote:

I also would like to overclock this machine. I'm not using the serial ports so I'm not worried about the side affects. Does anyone know which crystal is the 20mhz? The crystals arent sytamped with the freqency, only a part number.

Actually, they should be stamped with the frequency. All macs I've ever seen had ocilators that were, and I've got a dead 840av board that most definitely was. Just look closer...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.