All Forums
 68k Software
 WARNING - Mac OS 8 CD Install Bug
Author Topic  
Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  06:22:06
Based on what I can tell, various copies of the Mac OS 8 CD Installer are floating around online. (Some are also on the MLA servers) If you happen to run across one of these image files, please treat it with care since some files on it are currupted and will damage the file system on your Macintosh if not dealt with properly.

So far I have managed to track it down to a defective control panel. "General Controls"

I will be looking into the matter more. So far with what i've experienced, there is no way to fix the errors created on the disks other than formatting them. So, before you format them, be sure to have another disk ready to copy files to for temporary backup. If the disk is damaged beyond repair, try and locate a copy of Norton Utilities as that will fix the problem so you can at least save files. (Both Norton and Disk First Aid will report serious problems which even when selected to repair/fix will still show up the next reboot.)

If you decide to install Mac OS 8 from the install CD, the best way to do it is to create a blank disk copy image and install on that. Then you can move the files manually over and remove the control panel to prevent damage. If you boot from the drive it will cause damage. (After installing Mac OS on a ID 0 disk will always prompt for a reboot, hence the disk image)

Hope this helps, and i will be posting updates if i find anything else. I am going to test how stable it is for now. I will try placing a older Control Panel to replace the bad one see if that works.

Citon x600

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  08:45:01
Is this only under emulators or on genuine macs? Also, if the problem is the control panel, you can install the system, boot from CD/disk and replace it with a good one. I don't see why general controls could corrupt your HD...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  09:34:59
This was under an emulated Mac.

However I tried several disk images and Roms. I almost lost the ASLA Archives because of this lil problem. I can't quite get it to corrupt disks anymore but there is no Control Panel on the CD image from what I can see, but i have not looked that hard.

But I had 4 images that went corrupt with bad b-tree data when i installed from the OS 8 CD and also the screen would bug up. I removed the CP and now it works like a charm.

Perhaps someone managed to slip a virus in the installer? I run the latest Vrus scanner for the 68K Mac.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  11:44:27
The OS 8.1 dmg that was/is on the MLA servers is good, I've burned it to CD-R and have used it dozens of times. However, the 7.6.1 and 8.6 images there are definitely corrupt.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  04:03:55
quote:

The OS 8.1 dmg that was/is on the MLA servers is good, I've burned it to CD-R and have used it dozens of times. However, the 7.6.1 and 8.6 images there are definitely corrupt.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

And who needs 8.6 when 8.5.1 is cheap, easily obtainable, and more stable/compatible? Mac OS 8.6 was the worst piece of crap that has come out of Cupertino since Jobs came back!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  05:21:07
quote:
And who needs 8.6 when 8.5.1 is cheap, easily obtainable, and more stable/compatible?  Mac OS 8.6 was the worst piece of crap that has come out of Cupertino since Jobs came back!

OS 8.6 was just an update for OS 8.5.1. It fixed quite a few bugs. I've had 8.6 on my 5400 for a couple of years now and it's been very stable.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  06:21:24
I"ve heard that a lot of people liked 8.6, but for some reason it really disagreed with me and my PowerBook 1400.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 15 Oct 2002 :  18:24:00
heh. can we say... indegestion?!

THnXN
"you.. you... KING OF FRANCE, YOU!"
*note
inside joke. don't ask.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.