Balloon Help
 Personal LaserWriter NT query
Author Topic  
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  18:16:42
I recently acquired this lovely printer and am trying to get it working with my 650. I plugged the printer into the Quadra via serial, turned it on and fire up the Chooser (Mac OS 8.1). First I selected "LaserWriter 8". I then got a dialog box saying that I "LaserWriter 8 requires AppleTalk" so I turned on AppleTalk and set it to the serial port (printer).

[back to the chooser I go] On the panel next to all the pretty printer icons, it told me to select a PostScript printer - the NT was nowhere to be found. Under the blank place where some printers would magically appear, there was a "Create" button, but that was greyed out.

Can anybody help?

(on a related note, are there supposed to be any LEDs on while the printer is on? all 3 lEDs turn on when the printer is warming up, but then they turn off)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  21:25:40
On the lights, there should be a green light active on the "Activce" indicator (the top one I think). At that point, the LaserWriter is ready to print/respond.

Make sure you are running the latest version of the LaserWriter driver if you are running LaserWriter 7 driver, or any version of LaserWriter 8 will do.

If you are not getting any lights, even after a long wait (3-4 minutes), consider the printer logic board as possibly dead. If you don't hear the printer even warming up, consider the entire unit dead. If there are blinking codes or always on lights (like 2 or 3 lights always on), that is the printer delivering an error code, which can be decyphered on a chart for the model (don't have a link, but I know they exist).

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  22:05:22
quote:

If you are not getting any lights, even after a long wait (3-4 minutes), consider the printer logic board as possibly dead. I

i get lights in the beginning while warming up, then no lights at all...

...damn...dead mobo

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.