Hey Trash! an idea or two?
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  09:26:16
Hey there Mod Man!

Remember that National Instruments Direct Memory Access card I found?

What could we do with it inside a Duo dock?

Since we can then access memory directly, wouldn't that be a boon for audio work ala the boom box and mpegdec?

My Duo230 has 24MB of RAM, and a 7.6 system slimmed down to running in 33.5MB I beleive.

If the MP3 was read straight to memory in a chunk, instead of doing the system calls for mem access, lighten up the processor load by useing the card. If we're dealing with sound, wouldn't the waveform card I have pigtailed to the DMA make an awesome AUDIO co-processor?

Maybe I'm going insane, and proving that I have NO idea how some of this stufff works. I'm sitting in a cafe and I'm bored.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  12:20:26
quote:

Hey there Mod Man!

???????????
quote:

Remember that National Instruments Direct Memory Access card I found?

Vaguely, isn't it more of a data aquisition interface, IIRC that's what mine is.
quote:

What could we do with it inside a Duo dock?

Since we can then access memory directly, wouldn't that be a boon for audio work ala the boom box and mpegdec?

Dunno if you could do anything useful in a Dock with it, they're usually paired with another card and an SAII or hopefully a PAS16 will need to be in one of the two slots to get stereo output. From what markymark has been saying, looking for an SAI, SAII or the whatchamacallits (modern incarnations of those cards) would be the way to go. It would do the end run around the pathetic sound chip on the mobo required for Stereo output and give you DSP coprocessing at the same time. Picking up a PAS16 LC might work for building your own Stereo Minidock, but I'm not certain it'll really do stereo at this point, it seems to be letting the sound get dumped back thru that POS mono sound-munger setup.
quote:

If the MP3 was read straight to memory in a chunk, instead of doing the system calls for mem access, lighten up the processor load by useing the card. If we're dealing with sound, wouldn't the waveform card I have pigtailed to the DMA make an awesome AUDIO co-processor?

A DMA SCSI accelerator card MIGHT take a little load off the CPU, but I don't see how you would do it from the way you described it.
quote:

Maybe I'm going insane, and proving that I have NO idea how some of this stufff works. I'm sitting in a cafe and I'm bored.

I NEVER let my ignorance of technical issues get in the way of this kinda crazy endeavor! Learning why something is impossible usually leads to a workaround by the time somebody can convince me my original concept is a dead end. (which annoys the crap outta some people, btw! ) It helps a lot to start out crazy as a bed-bug, so don't worry so much about going insane!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.