PowerBook
 Powerbook Duo 210 questions
Author Topic  
DrPepper
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts
Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  23:20:21
Okay so I just got 2 Duo 210's with docks (for $20 canadian), now the question I have for now is will the docks charge the batteries? I'll have more questions in due time I'm sure :)

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  05:38:46
Yup!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  12:00:46
Only if you chant the secret mantra...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

DrPepper
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  17:06:03
So the secret mantra is "WORK YOUUU *shaking fist*" right? Hasn't failed me yet.

Go to Top of Page

DrPepper
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  18:08:25
And another question to power the battery while it's in the dock do I want it to be on, or off and just plugged in.
*pats head and rubs belly* I'm a beginner!

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  20:53:41
quote:

And another question to power the battery while it's in the dock do I want it to be on, or off and just plugged in.
*pats head and rubs belly* I'm a beginner!

The battery will charge whether the Duo is on or off.

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  11:11:30
What kind of dock? what ports does it have?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

DrPepper
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  20:48:39
It's just the plain original Duo Dock, all the regular ports on them (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duodock.html) and a ethernet car added. I guess I'll find out soon enough but on the batteries the little switchy thing that has a empty battery and a full battery picture on it, that switch is used when your storing the batteries for a long time right? And when you want to use the battery the switch should show the full battery correct? Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

DrPepper
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  22:58:34
*victory dance* I got one of the batteries to charge up enough to test out each of the laptops . One works fine (well it was booting up fine when the battery died) and the other one had a bad case of the unhappy mac icon.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  06:11:06
quote:

. . . that switch is used when your storing the batteries for a long time right? And when you want to use the battery the switch should show the full battery correct?

are you talking about the charged full indicator reminder switch to help you tell which of the two spares is the one that's still full from the one you drained and swapped out five-thirty minutes before? (I don't think I ever remember getting an hour out of a Duo battery) =8-/

jt .

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  12:52:17
quote:

*victory dance* I got one of the batteries to charge up enough to test out each of the laptops . One works fine (well it was booting up fine when the battery died) and the other one had a bad case of the unhappy mac icon.

Sounds like a typical Type 1 battery (the ones with the switch). I'm yet to see one that would last for more than about 15 minutes.

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

DrPepper
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  18:56:00
So the switch doesn't actually do anything?

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  19:00:12
Nope!

jt .

DrPepper
Starting Member

Canada
13 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  19:30:30
Okay, one last question (unless I think of more hehehe). Is there any way I can power the duo with the screen on from the dock? I know when you take the top off of the dock and plug the duo in and power it up the duo's screen is disabled. Anyone have a pin out for either the duo dock or the port on the duo that connects to the dock?

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  11:07:26
the ability to use the Duo screen while the Duo itself is docked is something Trash and I have thought about and discussed a bit.

We think that the ability IS there, IF we can write proper drivers to do it.

There IS one theory, which no one has had the guts to try tho...

If you cut the wireing on the back of the docking connector in the dock that connects the Duo to the Docks Video citcuitry, The Duo's video won't be shut off. There might be a bit of a ddriver needed for this option tooo tho.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2002 :  11:46:13
quote:

the ability to use the Duo screen while the Duo itself is docked is something Trash and I have thought about and discussed a bit.

We think that the ability IS there, IF we can write proper drivers to do it.

There IS one theory, which no one has had the guts to try tho...

If you cut the wireing on the back of the docking connector in the dock that connects the Duo to the Docks Video citcuitry, The Duo's video won't be shut off. There might be a bit of a ddriver needed for this option tooo tho.

won't work . . . there's no specific video circuitry on the docking connector, it's an 030 PDS with a few extra discrete signals for ADB, Sound, modem interface and power, etc, IIRC. Check the links on our website for the hardwarebook for the Docking connector pinouts or gamba for a download of the Duo Developer Notes.

If you have a Dock II, you can remove the ROM (DON'T break the ZIF socket getting it out!) and you'll still have ADB/Modem/Sound and NuBus but no SCSI, Serial or floppy etc. that requires the Dock's circuitry. Any dock is basically a multi-function '030 PDS card.

The Dock's ROM is a DECL ROM or setup ROM per the spec for any PDS card. It would need to be modified to disable the Dock's logic board video in firmware (might also need to excise the disabling of the Duo's internal video too if it's not part of the same data structure).

The software way to do it would be to learn how to enable and disable the proper slot manager routines as I understand it.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  18:10:47
Actually, didn't jt or someone end up getting the Duo screen to work while a Duo was docked?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  19:03:05
quote:

Actually, didn't jt or someone end up getting the Duo screen to work while a Duo was docked?

Allegedly: alcoa = jt's alter ego on a BAD day!

Dunno how much truth there is to it, but see info in that Albanian idiot's post above anyway.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. found a screen shot I did when testing the LCD/Dock hack with a video card in each NuBus slot: LCD/Portrait/VGA test setup.

Dunno why the card driving the Portrait Display thought it was doing color, this looks as silly as the screen shots I took of the portrait running under X in color due to lack of grayscale support.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 31 Oct 2002 19:21:31Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.