UNIX on 68k
 Pretty Unixy Boxes!
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  22:08:35
Well, it would have sprang up elsewhere anyway...
Did you know that sun actually *gives* it's Operating system, Solaris away for FREE!!! WHOW!!! and it works on PEESEE boxeez! WHEEE "Intrikit Solaris Weaver" the Dell OptiPlex running Solaris (once i can either DL it, or pony up the $50-$90 to have it shipped on cool looking media, media that'll work on sun & intel hardware!

'M thinking of a certain 040 computer sitting in my room, sitting in my room next to the AudioVision, sitting in my room with a 40MHz processor & 64MB of RAM, and yet, i sit in my room thinking "what a nice unix box that'd make"

What UNIXes would run on the Quaddie here? and wouldn't it look cool to have those dimmensions and that motherboard in a desktop form factor? Sadly, those Mamallian Protuberances (you'd know what they were if you'd read AppleDesign) get in the way

Maybe I should build my own case for something, I'll build it to be similar to one of those cool looking SGI computers, one of the squat, wide onesabout 3/4 quaddie's height, nearly twice the width... oooOOOooo... YAY!

I have gotten yet another GREAT idea for my honors project!!! woohoo

Learning UNIX!!

Official 68k videographer

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  05:09:52
Yes, I know that Sun gives away Solaris, but I haven't tried that.

I think all the 68k Unixes will run on a Quadra 840 AV except A/UX, which will not run on any of the AV machines or the Quadra 630.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.