All Forums
 68k Conquests
 It's the Power On key
Author Topic  
Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  17:56:26
Some years ago I had a Color Classic that I had inherited from a friend of a friend... I couldn't get it to turn on. Power switch on the back didn't do a thing. Red faced - I asked how to get the thing to work. People with a Colour Classic (and a couple of other models) will know the solution to this - you need to use the keyboard power on key. I love those weird quirky Mac issues

I was in a thrift store the other day looking for 3 ring binders for school. It was near closing time and I was hustling through the store when I caught a glimpse of a compact Mac. Wander over and it turns out to be a Color Classic in excellent condition. Yes! (and an Oh No!) The CC had a BIG sign on it "This computer does not work. As is. No returns" No time to plug it in but for $25 CDN I thought I would take a chance on it. You can always use a clean case and parts. I got to the counter to pay and it turns out the $25 also gets me an extended keyboard, mouse, Image writer II, Stylewriter II and cables and a friendly reminder that there were no returns on this computer since "it does not work"

Got it home, plugged it in, added the keyboard... hit the power key and VOILA, working Color Classic. Sweetness!

It has an 80 MB hard drive, 10 MB RAM and OS 7.1. Looking forward to playing with this as soon as I can wipe the drive of "At Ease". (Is it possible to bypass the At Ease password protection with an external CD-ROM?)

Kami

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  18:09:49
A perfect example of the ignorence of people with old macs!

-Danny
Forum: http://www24.brinkster.com/catsdorule1/
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  19:39:49
Nice. I believe the plain version of AtEase (not Workgroups) can be bypassed by booting off a CD/floppy.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  03:35:24
COOL! By the way, you can sometimes bypass At Ease by holding down the Shift key at startup...or at least thats what i did with a Performa 580 one time at the Shop.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  11:07:28
I tried the shift key trick but no go. At Ease wanted a password ( the hint was "Grandma's name").

I did what Coxy suggested - booted from an external Apple CD-ROM drive. I deleted all of the At Ease extensions and control panel. Worked like a charm.

The CC is a neat form factor but is it ever slow even with the max 10 MB. Next step is a 575 motherboard upgrade!

Kami

Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  11:29:09
Ah, yes ignorance is bliss... That is sooo cool.

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

Yeah, I hate that friggin beach ball too...Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.