68k Conquests
 what to do, what to do?
Author Topic  
hangthedj
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  14:04:21
this is a two part question.okay...first part: there's a place near me that sells old mac equipment but...they're very unscrupulous (don't play fair on trades, sometimes sell faulty equipment...things like that), should i still buy things from there, you think? i can probably fix the comps up...but i don't like the idea of supporting them. second: if i was to buy from there, almost all of their equipment (68k, anyway) is 9.99...every other comp. i can get would be half off (it's a deal they have) but i don't know...i mean, should i really pay ten dollars for a classic when i can get a quadra 800 for the same price? please help...
thank you..andrew

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  13:51:39
I'd say its all up to how bad you want a particular piece of hardware. I have dealt with same situation, although the local Mac reseller for me is thrift shops. I live in a area that is mostly dominated by pc's, although there is one Mac dealer, most of my stuff comes from thrift stores. I would say you should consider what you are purchasing and what you can do with it later. I am trying to get my hands on a 2nd or 3rd genration Power Mac, since I've already got several 68k Macs I'm ready to make the jump to Power PC, I'd be looking at what your ambitions are. If they have what you want, go for it, if not just buy what you need.

In the end, (at least for me) I look at the big picture, is it a good deal overall or should you limit your purchases to exactly what you need? I've paid from $2.50 for a LCIII+ - sans monitor, to $38.00 for a Performa 636CD with a monitor. I've bought 7 used Macs and 3 printers for a total of less than $130.00 = about $13 for each piece. I was lucky, only 1 didn't work - an LC476, which was a drag, it had a 25Mhz '040 - the video was dead.

Good Luck!

"OOOH, AHHH, What is this thing? - OH, We gotta do somthing like that.." BG's first reaction to a LisaGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  14:08:58
quote:

I was lucky, only 1 didn't work - an LC476, which was a drag, it had a 25Mhz '040 - the video was dead.

Is it safe to assume that you tried a new PRAM battery in it already? If not, the video might be fine, try one!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  18:44:16
Yeah I tried one - still no video... thanks!

"OOOH, AHHH, What is this thing? - OH, We gotta do somthing like that.." BG's first reaction to a LisaGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.