Lounge
 I've gone and done it again...
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  12:48:55
...changed my mind, that is. As most may know I had my heart set on getting a Superdrive eMac in maybe the second or third week of October, but now dues to financials limitations i won't be able to afford one until at least the first week of November.

Anyway, the extra time has given me a chance to re-think my purchase...and I've changed my mind. There are a lot of reasons why I wanted an eMac, it's small form factor, the DVD-R, and the fact that it meets all the minimum sys requirements to run Shake 2.5. That, and the price was perfect.

Then I read about this, and it scared me. What if the CRT decides to "die" after it's out of warranty? Even if i sprung for the AppleCare plan, it would still be a hassle down the road. also, I look at my parent's Snow iMac DV that they bought 2 years ago whose Mobo died a few months ago that they paid $300 to fix.

So, all this got me thinking...why dont I just get a tower? So, I priced around and found out that for $120 more than the cost of getting an eMac at the Apple Store (which is what I planned to do for various reasons), I can get a Dual 867 tower with a free 17" CRT monitor from Mac Zone, standard shipping included.

The biggest reason for the small difference, of course, is the fact that there's no tax on the shipped unit.

So there we go...my mind is made up. Sure, it won't have a Superdrive, but later down the road I can buy one and slap it in the bottom 5.25" drive bay! Plus, the second proc, and the huge expandability compared to the eMac are a big difference...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

Edited by - cinemafia on 27 Sep 2002 13:28:02

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  12:54:40
I have a iMac G4 and was it was worth the extra money! well it's up to you the emac has a great screen!

P.S. I heard the e-macs can get pretty loud!

-Danny
Forum: http://www24.brinkster.com/catsdorule1/
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  13:13:51
Slots, Bays and Pixels RULE!!!!

There ARE NO SUBSTITUTES!!!!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  13:32:17
Now I get to dream about stuff like throwing a second 60GB ATA-100 drive in it...along with an Ultra160 SCSI card and two 15k rpm Ultra160 SCSI drives in a striped RAID...swap the GeForce 4MX for a Ti 4...throw in a 24/96 Digidesign card...a Pinnacle analog vid capture card...mmmmmmm.....

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  15:06:55
quote:

Slots, Bays and Pixels RULE!!!!

There ARE NO SUBSTITUTES!!!!

Well said, Trash. The only new mac I would buy today is a Powermac or laptop, none of that I/eMac garbage.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  15:21:34
Hey now...I don't think they're garbage...and I most certainly would have been fine with an eMac...it's just that when looking at the tiny price difference, especially when Mac zone throws in a free monitor that's as good or better than the CRT in the eMac...it makes no sense to limit myself down the road.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  15:55:00
In case you're wondering, the eMac woud have run me $1625, tax, title and license ( ) included from a local Apple Store or any other local Apple retailer.

The Dual 867MHz G4, with the 17" CRT and shipping included, will be $1746.

Crazy, isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  16:03:00
quote:

Hey now...I don't think they're garbage...
...it makes no sense to limit myself down the road.

Neither do I, in very limited niche markets they make a world of sense, like ~coxy's dorm room or a school computer lab, but if anybody is doing any real work on a computer, a bigger screen than 17" (even the iLamp's 17" LCD is too small) I hope I never have to use any primary display smaller than 21" EVER AGAIN IN THIS LIFETIME! (although a matched pair of 18"- 20" CRT's might be a usable configuration)

The other SERIOUS flaw in the i&e MacToy concept is the fact that their displays cannot be combined in a KVM Switch setup for use with additional CPU's.

Personally, I want a computer that'll take a PCI or AGP card to drive one of the BIG@$$ HDTV/Computer Monitors (wiiiiiidescreen!) I expect to see on the market for about a kilobuck within the next couple of years!

jt .

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  05:34:28
quote:

like ~coxy's dorm room...

Hey, when did I ever say that I was in a dorm?
I've actually got some pictures of my setup, if you DARE to look at the grainiest pictures you ever did see...
I used the cheapest Sony Dig-8 crapcam in the world, and they look gosh-darn awful. I may be able to Photoshop some of the crapness out, but still....

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  08:00:18
quote:

quote:

like ~coxy's dorm room...

Hey, when did I ever say that I was in a dorm?

That was my assumption based on the impressions I got from the context of your posts.

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.