All Forums
 Lounge
 68kmla Unix?
Author Topic  
catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  18:31:41
I heard rumors of a 68kmla unix is it true?!?
I'd love to try it out!

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  18:42:57
If you're talking about a *nix distro by 68kMLA members and participants, then no, there is no 68kmla Unix. There are Unix OSs for 68ks, though.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  18:53:38
Yeah well i thought we were planning one, ok then .

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  20:46:33
OOH! let's put the UI from OpenStep onto the nix distro!

FUN!!!

then let's build a black cubed shape mac with no floppy drive... WAIT! i know what that'd look like :) (needs a monitor keyboard and mouse to match... LOL)

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  11:26:46
The rumour is true.

Search the archive, and you'll find a thread where we bat around the idea of a 68k MLA Linux Distro.

Well, I'm actually working on it. I was challenged after the last meeting by the rest of my Linux Users Group to get Linux installed and working on the Classic II by next months meeting.

If I can get it done, I'm themeing Xfree86 for the 68kMLA.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  11:33:47
quote:

The rumour is true.

Search the archive, and you'll find a thread where we bat around the idea of a 68k MLA Linux Distro.

Well, I'm actually working on it. I was challenged after the last meeting by the rest of my Linux Users Group to get Linux installed and working on the Classic II by next months meeting.

If I can get it done, I'm themeing Xfree86 for the 68kMLA.

WOOHOO!!!!!! Good Luck, Marchie! That'd be something to get any kind of 'nix up on the Classic II.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  22:33:44
Actually, the Classic II is one of the most supported of the 68k Mac Linux Boxen.

The TRICK, IMNSHO, is installing w/o the ability to use a network connection. As far as I've been able to tell, LocalTalk surely doesn't work, and CDROM drives are a bit tricky for install as well. My PREFERENCE would be to have a 1GB hard drive I could mount externally to copy the Debian CD images to, and post install, convert to the /usr space or something.

As it is, I need a bigger hard drive than the stock 40 for sure, but I have no money. If anyone wants to send me a 500MB or larger SCSI drive so I can make this work and add to our reputation and visibility, I'll GLADLY take it!

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.