All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Duo 2300c display on 68K duo?
Author Topic  
kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  17:03:51
Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade a 68k Powerbook duo (270c, 280c, for example) with the larger color display from a 2300c? I'd like to get a bigger display, but I know there are some 68k only duo accessories (like ethernet) I'd like to be able to use.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  17:40:10
I was asking around on fritter about temporarily installing a 230 a 270c or a 280 board in my 2300c to do some testing on a 68k and was given answers ranging from it won't work at all because the interface is different to it'll wreck something if you even try it. I ended up just plugging the Bare@$$Duo230 logic board straight into the dock.

The screen may be slightly larger on the 2300c, but it's still only 640x480 pixels, so there really in't any gain at all in onscreen information, it's just a tad larger at proportionately less DPI.

What was that about ethernet only being 68k? Do you mean you have SCSI adapter or a Mini or MicroDock with ethernet that's not compatible with the 2300c?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  17:46:06
Yeah, I have a scsi-ethernet adapter that's known to not work with the 2300, but works great with 68k duos. I was just wondering if I could drop the bigger screen on a 280c. I guess I shouldn't complain, my 280c has no dead pixels. :-)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  17:54:06
quote:

Yeah, I have a scsi-ethernet adapter that's known to not work with the 2300, but works great with 68k duos. I was just wondering if I could drop the bigger screen on a 280c. I guess I shouldn't complain, my 280c has no dead pixels. :-)

Which SCSI adapter do you have?

jt .

kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  20:27:06
Asante. I have both the Micro EN/SC and the Mini. The Micro plugs into the Powerbook SCSI and powers off the ADB. The Mini has cables for both HDI-30 and DB25 scsi, and uses an AC adapter for power. They use the same driver tho. I have a Dayna one somewhere that I'm not using as well. It's a Pocket SCSI/Link, powers off ADB and has a standard DB25 port. I've used them all at various points, they all pretty much work the same. You looking for one?

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  07:14:11
quote:

Asante. I have both the Micro EN/SC and the Mini. The Micro plugs into the Powerbook SCSI and powers off the ADB. The Mini has cables for both HDI-30 and DB25 scsi, and uses an AC adapter for power. They use the same driver tho. I have a Dayna one somewhere that I'm not using as well. It's a Pocket SCSI/Link, powers off ADB and has a standard DB25 port. I've used them all at various points, they all pretty much work the same.

Silly question, but have you tried using the Dayna with the 2300? It should be a lot better behaved SCSI device than any Asante.

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  09:07:43
quote:

Asante. I have both the Micro EN/SC and the Mini. The Micro plugs into the Powerbook SCSI and powers off the ADB. The Mini has cables for both HDI-30 and DB25 scsi, and uses an AC adapter for power. They use the same driver tho. I have a Dayna one somewhere that I'm not using as well. It's a Pocket SCSI/Link, powers off ADB and has a standard DB25 port. I've used them all at various points, they all pretty much work the same. You looking for one?

I got a DaynaPORT Pocket SCSI/Link adapter and a second Micro EN/SC off eBay a while back. I think I only tried the first EN/SC on my PB100 amd my 2300c, it was an open box as is special and I got another one because I thought the first one might be bad! I guess it might work, but both are bad for my 2300c! =8-/

How can all of Asante's other stuff i've ever used be bullet proof, but the Micro EN/SC is a POS!?!!!! . . . err . . when it comes to the only two PB's I ever wanted to use it on, anyway! LOL! I'll have to test my Dayna, are the drivers available online?

jt .

kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  23:28:28
I didn't look for the Dayna drivers online. I got them on floppy when I got the adapter. I love the Asante Micro. It's tiny, much easier to throw in a bag than something with a cable. I just bought a PB180c to hook it up to. :-)

If you want, I'll image the Dayna installer disk and upload it somewhere for you.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  05:30:15
quote:

I didn't look for the Dayna drivers online. I got them on floppy when I got the adapter. I love the Asante Micro. It's tiny, much easier to throw in a bag than something with a cable. I just bought a PB180c to hook it up to. :-)

If you want, I'll image the Dayna installer disk and upload it somewhere for you.

Yah, I always thought it'd be great with the SCSI MicroDock, but not unless I move up to a 280 from my 2300c!

Having the installer disk would be great, if you can just email it that'd be easiest, I still haven't tried out hotline yet.

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.