68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 Further proof of dana's No. 1 Rule of Computing...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  17:30:18
COMPUTERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riiiiiiiight...yesterday afternoon, i take the iMac out into the living room, for some iTunes fun. I boot into OS X, select my OS 9.2.2 system folder as the one to run the show next time i start up. I shut down and connect my Presentation System. It gives me a blinking question mark, and freezes. I take it back into my room, and try all the normal things, like zapping PRAM, and resetting the CUDA. Nothing. I take the HD out of the iMac and hook it up to the LC630's IDE bus, because for some reason, the iMac wouldn't boot from a CD anymore. The 630 sees the HD ok, when booted off a SCSI HD, but is full of errors. I put it back into the iMac, start up with the C key held down, and it boots off the OS X CD and run Disk First Aid. It tells me everything is OK. I go to feed and walk the dogs, and then watch TV, so I leave it for a while. Come back, put the OS 9 CD in, run Disk First Aid, and it fixes up a bunch of stuff. However, it still won't boot, so i copy all my stuff off the boot partition and onto the second partition, and do an Erase Disk on the boot partition (Road Runner). I then Clean Install Mac OS 9.1 on it, followed by iTunes. At about 11 pm, (after watching a few TV shows. as well) i finally have iTunes running on the stupid thing, and take it out into the living room and hook it up to the TV. Everything worked fine, thank god, although i was a bit late for my proposed showing of What Women Want, which I have on my second partition. Oh well. I'm putting OS X back on this afternoon.

COMPUTERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  20:55:33
quote:

Riiiiiiiight...yesterday afternoon, i take the iMac out into the living room, for some iTunes fun. I boot into OS X, select my OS 9.2.2 system folder as the one to run the show next time i start up. I shut down and connect my Presentation System.

Oooooh can I empathise with you there. I occasionally switch back into OS9 for some reminiscing (I'm hopeless like that!) and the only 2 times my iMac has had drive problems, is in that switchover... 2 times out of 20 perhaps, but it's suspicious all the same...

dana (they do suck. a lot)

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  21:20:23
OUCH! one time, i was JUST going to copy my iMac HDD over ethernet to my PC thru windows NT 4 beta that i had installed on Virtual PC (which i don't have the CD for, it was installed on the iMac when i got it) then it crashed, and the whole HDD was lost! luckily, i have the OS8.1 CDs that came with it, and i used them... it made me sad :(

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  22:59:42
I know!, I posted this in the macaddict forum as 'nutty classic problem'

"I need to bypass the internal hard drives or change my start-up disk on an iMac running 9.2.1.

I partioned my iMac drive into a very large partion and a 300mb partion. I have 9.2.1 on my large partition and I put the system folder from the 9.2 installer disk on the smaller partition. When I boot of the smaller partition it tells me I can only run the system software off the original media and I have to restart. I can't get my iMac to boot of a CD because it boots off the smaller partition and gives me the error and I have to restart. It's just a vicous cycle I can't escape.

I've tried apple option shift delete, and apple option p-r. What else can I do?"

The only way to get to work was disconnect the power to HD and then boot off the CD, actually change the startup disk to cd, then reconnect the power.

The whole problem was when I had to do an internet install of Acrobat 5, it said it it missed a while and I could download it again. The installer freezes, I restart, blinking question mark. I boot off a cd and run norton, it tells me that 9000+ files occupy the space of another file and it cannot fix the problem. I erase and 8k file and it asks me if I want to delete the 168 GB file, right... HD format and partition.

------------------
Mac SE 4/40
Mac Classic II 4/40
Mac IIx 8/160
Mac IIvi 8/260
Mac Quadra 650 32/260
Mac Quadra 650 64/350 via basilisk II
iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.