All Forums
 Mac II Line
 Mac IIfx owners...
Author Topic  
Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  20:31:19
I've been reading some of the past posts from the last year. Seems like there are a number of people with an interest in IIfx's.

Cinemafia, you were talking about hacking in a CD-ROM. The links to the MacGallery aren't working. Do you have a current link? How did the project go?

I was just curious... who is still using a IIfx and what mods have you made (if any).

Kami

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  11:44:41
I abandoned any and all efforts with my IIfx, and those links led to my old website, which is no longer in existence. My new website doesn't yet have anything about my Macs, since I'm going through a transition right now.

I am still working on a project IIci, though!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  12:05:39
quote:

I've been reading some of the past posts from the last year. Seems like there are a number of people with an interest in IIfx's.

Cinemafia, you were talking about hacking in a CD-ROM. The links to the MacGallery aren't working. Do you have a current link? How did the project go?

There are a couple of pics of the CD I've got in one of my IIfx's in a thread somewhere in this forum of in the hacks forum here, IIRC.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  16:36:01
quote:

I was just curious... who is still using a IIfx and what mods have you made (if any).

I'm still using one. 8MB RAM (desperately trying to find at least 32MB,) with an intermittently-working 500MB hard drive. 8*24GC video card with two 8*24's slaved to it, three 14" displays (640x480, millions of colors each.) Asante ethernet card (I've got an Apple card, but it doesn't have 10Base-T, so it's not much use right now. It's got an AppleCD 600e, and an external 230MB magneto optical drive. I'm hoping (when I find more memory) to hack the magneto optical drive into the second floppy slot, and go without an internal hard drive; and have a RAMdisk that loads from the MO drive, then ejects the MO, for a silent IIfx. (I'll be hacking the power supply to take out the fan, too.)

If I had a spare 'lid' for it, I'd consider doing some serious hacking to put a CD drive in it. (I've got the drive from an AppleCD 300e out of its external case that I could use. I put a CD-RW drive into the 300e case, because I only had an internal SCSI CD-RW, and I wanted to be able to swap it among a couple PMacs.)

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  11:23:32
I have a Mac II upgraded to a IIfx.

Meaning: 8MB of RAM and no special video card.

I have 2 video cards in it, Ethernet, and my National Instruments Direct Memory Access and Waveform Generator cards in it.

It's Dormouse: The Bench Droid.

It sits in my basement at the workbench... I'm not done programming the 2 NI cards tho.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  11:31:30
quote:
If I had a spare 'lid' for it, I'd consider doing some serious hacking to put a CD drive in it.

Want the lid from mine? It's spray painted black, but it'll be good for a hack (hey, that rhymed...).

Go to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  18:55:56
quote:

quote:
If I had a spare 'lid' for it, I'd consider doing some serious hacking to put a CD drive in it.

Want the lid from mine? It's spray painted black, but it'll be good for a hack (hey, that rhymed...).

hehe... Sure, I can always sand it back to beige. (Or go for a two-tone computer.) What would you like in return? I've got some 30 and 72 pin SIMMs (nothing large,) some SCSI hard drives, a whole lotta NuBus video cards, some NuBus Ethernet cards, mice, keyboards, cables, etc...

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  19:03:09
Got any LC PDS ethernet cards? 256k VRAM SIMMs (Quadra/G1 HPV style)? Or, just let me know what you have...you can email me a list if you want.

Go to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  11:36:54
quote:

Got any LC PDS ethernet cards? 256k VRAM SIMMs (Quadra/G1 HPV style)? Or, just let me know what you have...you can email me a list if you want.

Hold on, I'll just make a list of all tradeables and post them on a web page along with my wants... (I know I have at least one LC PDS Ethernet card, unfortunately, I'm using it. If I find a second one in my mess, I'd be willing to part with it. I know I don't have any VRAM SIMMs, I wish I did, quite a few of my monsters need more VRAM.)

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  11:54:57
Sure, and if you're so inclined, you can actually have the entire case and PSU! The RAM, dual Floppy drives and the Mobo, though, are already spoken for.

Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  20:51:46
Struck gold on the IIfx front...

Picked up 3 fx's from a PC dealer today becuase they were too cheap to believe and I needed the extra parts for my existing fx. No idea if they worked - no start up in the store (guessing that the batteries were dead) Brought them home and had the surprise of my life. fx #1 booted and had a whopping 32 mB of RAM. Pulled the hard drive shelf and noticed a small board where the 030 CPU normally sits. The board is Nexus fx accelerator ( I think it is 50 MHz). Wow! The weird thing is that someone back in 1999 had replaced the original drive with a 40 MB drive.

Unfortunately, can't transfer the board to my mint fx - the things has a bunch of wires that connect the board to different chips on the motherboard.

The other fx's were pretty nondescript. Minimal RAM and hard drives.

Anyone need any parts?

Kami

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  20:59:29
quote:

Struck gold on the IIfx front...

Picked up 3 fx's from a PC dealer today becuase they were too cheap to believe and I needed the extra parts for my existing fx. No idea if they worked - no start up in the store (guessing that the batteries were dead) Brought them home and had the surprise of my life. fx #1 booted and had a whopping 32 mB of RAM. Pulled the hard drive shelf and noticed a small board where the 030 CPU normally sits. The board is Nexus fx accelerator ( I think it is 50 MHz). Wow! The weird thing is that someone back in 1999 had replaced the original drive with a 40 MB drive.

Unfortunately, can't transfer the board to my mint fx - the things has a bunch of wires that connect the board to different chips on the motherboard.

The other fx's were pretty nondescript. Minimal RAM and hard drives.

Anyone need any parts?

Why not swap mobos to get the accelerator into your showpiece?

Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  23:13:50
Good suggestion. Sometimes the most obvious things things just don't come to you.

The thought of stripping 2 computers down to their bare cases is just too time consuming for me right now. A project for later when I have more time.

Kami

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2002 :  13:04:57
Hadn't been down here for a while, so didn't notice this thread.

I've still got my old workhorse IIfx (which succeeded my accelerated SE), and it still runs fine, with 8MB RAM (+ RAMDoubler and RAMCharger), plus an Apple 300CD player, and a Bernoulli 230 removeable drive. Saved my a$$ a few years ago when a new beige G3 died suddenly and Apple took eight weeks replacing it (with a first-generation blue G3). I'm hoping to put the IIfx back to work if Cinemo will ever get 'round to shipping the stuff from his (hint, hint).

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.