Lounge
 Smartypants text-to-speech
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  12:28:31
While nattering away on IRC, I have Snak set to speak aloud any line that has the word "quadra" in it... keeps my reputation up as a bit of a quadra obsessive, as it means just talking about the things summons me :D.

Anyhows, a friend asked (being a bit silly of course :D) if I had managed to install OS X on any quadras...

and lo 'n behold... the iMac pronounced it as "Ohh Ess Ten"

cool :)

dana

Quadra 605 Obsessions

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  12:31:39
Verrrry cool! I seem to recall that, back in the day, there used to be a bunch of hidden little things like that, both in T-to-S, but also in Speech Rec.... Something along the lines of "Tell me a joke", and it would tell you a bunch of knock-knock jokes. Gotta love those wacky programmers!
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  15:50:07
There are indeed *tons* of knock knock jokes, my g/f has endless fun getting her FP iMac to talk to friends when they come over it only really understands me though

What I'd really like to do is get a Mic for my Cube and see if they can talk to and understand each other. You could make your own installation with two of the new iMacs (the ones that have the most human characteristics) just having a conversation with each other using customapple scripts inthe speakableitems folder. I'm sure it worked on Quadras though for the old skool feel!

Edited by - gothikon on 23 Sep 2002 15:55:03Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  17:03:18
quote:
...two of the new iMacs (the ones that have the most human characteristics) just having a conversation with each other using customapple scripts inthe speakableitems folder...

Friggin' cool idea- I've got to try this with my PowerBook G4 and my PowerMac 6500... I'll post here if I get anything to work...
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  07:22:05
I've never gotten the "knock-knock" thing to work, (probably due to Australian accent) but my friend who had plenty of practise in the Quadra years can pull it off.

Try this in IE 5 for OS X: "Make this page speakable", and whatever you enter will be a new command to take you to that page!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  21:31:56
I've never been able to get speech recognition to work. Not sure why though. Maybe its just my voice or the way i say things or something...i dunno

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  04:07:50
I've never gotten it to work with built-in mics, the level it puts it in is horribly low, makes you have to get up and shout into it, wherever it may be.

However, with external mics, I have had it work quite well.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  11:19:43
OO!!!!! I got an idea!

The guy that programmes Tex-Edit (The text editor, very cool, you should get it) ALSO did an Eliza programme that used Text-to-Speech. You could make one computer the "patient" and one Eliza. Or Azile, his crotchety and much stranger version.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.