All Forums
 68k Software
 ASLA Archive & Verison Versions
Author Topic  
Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  00:59:51
My great project is coming along quite well.

I now have 2GB worth of software compiled into 2 1GB Images. As soon as they are done, I will post directions on how people can obtain them. They have a complete line of software that you would ever need on a Macintosh.

I have found some good servers to get these files from. So if anyone has a server that they wish these archives to be uploaded to, please reply with contact details so these gems can be spread. These archives have copies of rare software in many cases, and i hope to expand them to preserve Mac 68K software.

I expect my next archive to reach 5GB as I will be adding many versions of Rhapsody. Yes, I am a member of a server that has it. They have about a good 3GB of Macintosh Stuff. But the bandwidth is also an issue, so I only download a bit each month.

If anyone wants to support my efforts to create the ultimate archives of 68K History, please post links where i can get stuff.

What I am in desperate need of is a program that will run in Windows that can easily create a multiple GB HFV file. Most of the programs only go up to 2GB, and soon the archive will expand beyond that. Although the archive will contains 1GB chunks for each sequence, I also want a single large master file to work with to sort things. :)

Some things that are hard to come by:

Full Installers for 8.0, 8.1, 7.6
Microsoft Office Suites/Installers

Let me know if you have these and are willing to contribute. I am making a list of those who help out.

Citon x600.

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  20:53:48
ASLA Archive Volume One is now ready.

It can be downloaded via FTP.

Host: girlspace.no-ip.org
Username: asla
Password: volume_one

There is a limit to the number of users.

If others want this item uploaded to a server, please e-mail or post with contact instructions. Note that some servers may have this archive or older versions.

Also, vote if you want the size of the archives to be reduced so that they are in the range of 250MB each. If I get feedback, I will reduce the sizes.

Citon x600.

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  09:42:34
Can we get them under 700 megs for cd archiving? THAT would be convenient. It's not like I care if publishers are anal about distribution of their outdated 68k software, but I'm just curious how much of this is actually abandonware

BTW I think we have 8.0 on the 68k mla hotline server. If not, I have the CD. I also have a 7.6.1 CD, and it installs on a 68k, of course, but it was shipped with a PPC, as you might expect, so a lot of useless stuff is installed. Customization was a bit lacking back then, donchaknow. It works, though

I'm not sure if there ever WAS a full install of 8.1...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 26 Sep 2002 09:47:16Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  11:35:08
I have deleted the old 1GB archive nd instead created volumes.

Each volume is 250MB, so two volumes can fit on a single CD.

Currently Volumes 1-4 are available on the FTP. The amount of abandonware or "outdatedware" that is on there is intensive. I will try and give a partial/full list:

Mac OS 8 Installer
Norton utilities 3.x Diks Images (Installer)
Sam & Max Hit The Road (Game by LucasArts)
The Day Of The Tentacle (Game by LucasArts)
Simcity 2000
Claris Works 3,4 and 5
Claris HomePage 3 Trial
FileMaker Pro 3 & Server
Claris E-Mailer 2
Apple AUX (Certian Images only, others to arrive in more archives)
Various Archives of Mac OS .85 to 6
At Ease 3 and Workgroups
QuickTime 4
RealPC
Various Serial programs (older ones that have 68K codes)
Macintosh Icons
Graphic Converter
System 6.xx, 7.0.x, 7.1, 7.5.3 and updates
Fetch 3.03 (freeware version before becoming Anarchy)
Netscape Navigator & Communicator 4.08
Various Original Manuals
CD-ROM ToolKit & SpeedTools (various versions)
Disinfectant
FWB HardDisk ToolKit
InstallerMaker
Mac Bench
NAVM 7
Norton Utilities 6
Norton System Works (I believe these are PPC, untested)
Norton Utilities 3.5.3 (Disk images)
Ram Doubler
ShrinkWrap
Virex 5.7 & 6
Toast 3.xx and 4.xx (4.xx deluxe)
Microsoft Word 6
Apple Easter Eggs 1.6
Mac Secrets Software
100 Fonts CD
FONTEK DesignFont
Apple Garamond Font
IE 3 & 4 Installers
Acrobat Reader
Adobe Illustrator 3
Aldus PageMaker 3 and 4
Photoshop 3.05 (7 disk install)
Virtual PC 2
SoftPC For Systems Under 2MB
Soft PC Pro 3.1
Soft PC Pro (Images)
Soft PC With Dos/Win3.x
SoftWindows 68K 1.xx With Windows.
TexEdit Plus 4
Nisus Writer
BBEdit Lite
WordPerfect 3.5E & OS 8/9Patch
Somewhere is also a "Untested" folder that has a full 8.1 install image that is corrupted, but perhaps a genius can fix it or mount it on a more tolerant System.

Items not sorted into an archive yet:
More AUX Items
Copland Betas
ClarisWorks Office 5
Rhapsody BlueBox & Other Rhapsody Files
Lisa Software
OpenStep
A Corrupted OS 8 Installer
Be OS Preview 2 (Standard)
Dave 2.5x
Eudora Light 1.5x, 3.x
Eudora 4.x (Full)
Hotline Clients & Cracks Docs Etc.
HotMetal 2
Dreamweaver 4
GoLive 1.1
Dreamweaver Ultra DEV 4
WebStar
PowerBar Pro
Apple Banned Themes (unsure what kind, not tested)
Simpsons Screen Saver
FWB Crisis Tool
FWB Storage Wizard
FWB turbo ToolKit
Symantec Tools 1
HackUser Feb 99
Aaron
Security BOX @ Work

Plus i am scanning for lots more stuff, because I have entire Rhapsody installs going on the archives and more apps and games etc.

Lots going on. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  09:01:05
Thanks for doing this, but is your server down? I can't seem to connect....

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  04:19:13
No the site is still online, although there is a 20-30 user limit. And a times perhaps it is slow.

I am working on the next volumes and w=they will be showing up at your local hotline servers any day. :)

Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  16:43:19
In order to preserve bandwidth and guarantee that the server will be online, I may be switching to KDX Server to test things out.

The ftp will stay up, but I am going to start the KDX Server and see how it performs. KDX can limit bandwidth and can apply limits to accounts, so I may tinker with it. Also, I do ask that please if you decide to use the FTP, don't run multiple streams because I do run other servers and so I can't guarantee if you run multiple streams that it will work or not. Plus, you will take away bandwidth for other users. So please play nice. :)

I am also testing out a Direct Connect HUb, which makes it much easier to share files without a bandwidth restraint on one single machine. Users connect to the server and share files they have. Each client shares a unique share and that's how things are spread. It's much better than having one server that constantly pumps out, but rather now a group of users can pool thier resources together and share some really neat stuff. :)

If you are interested anyone, then e-mail me. I am sorta just going through the basic steps right now, but think that would be a great feature for this site. :)

Citon x600

Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  06:36:42
Please see the OS Warning I posted in this forum, it applies to the OS 8 on my archives.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.