All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Laserwriter 4/600
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  19:38:47
I've got my hands on it now. Whoo. I put the laserwriter 8 and 8f chooser extensions in the extensions folder, installed a 68K version of Printing Lib, as it told me to, and it doesn't seem to work. I choose laserwriter 8 in the chooser, but nothing shows up in the right pane. Have I missed a step?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  20:44:48
quote:

I've got my hands on it now. Whoo. I put the laserwriter 8 and 8f chooser extensions in the extensions folder, installed a 68K version of Printing Lib, as it told me to, and it doesn't seem to work. I choose laserwriter 8 in the chooser, but nothing shows up in the right pane. Have I missed a step?

You did the "setup desktop printer" routine or do you need to see the printer first? You did restart and have appletalk on etc? The info in your post seems kinda sparse from this end for troubleshooting . . . it might be a good idea to get it working under an older system from one of your 68k's before troubleshooting on 9.x or 10.x so you have an established baseline.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  08:52:34
Sorry about that. I'll try to fill in some gaps.

I've been trying it on my Q800 running 8.1. I downloaded the Apple Printer Utility 2.2, which was on Apple's ftp site under laserwriter. I also installed the laserwriter 8.5.1 software. It didn't install any chooser extensions, which got me steamed, but I got the laserwriter 8 and 8f chooser extensions from a HD backup I had on CD. I think it was from a 68K I had running 8.0. After installing those two, and making sure that appletalk was active on ethernet so the printer port would be free, I tried to select the LW in the chooser. Didn't show up. Any help there?

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  09:45:10
quote:

Sorry about that. I'll try to fill in some gaps.

I've been trying it on my Q800 running 8.1. I downloaded the Apple Printer Utility 2.2, which was on Apple's ftp site under laserwriter. I also installed the laserwriter 8.5.1 software. It didn't install any chooser extensions, which got me steamed, but I got the laserwriter 8 and 8f chooser extensions from a HD backup I had on CD. I think it was from a 68K I had running 8.0. After installing those two, and making sure that appletalk was active on ethernet so the printer port would be free, I tried to select the LW in the chooser. Didn't show up. Any help there?

I'm still a little lost, how is the printer connected? I probably won't be much help for 8.x anyway, my IIg works fine from 9.x and 7.5.3, but I rarely boot from the partition on the 2300c with 8.6 on it and I've never run 8.1 at all.

That said, my guess would be that the physical network connection to the printer ain't makin' it or are you setting it up over the printer port to use the 800 for a bridge or for print sharing?

jt .

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  17:15:18
I haven't set up the bridge. It's just connected to the printer port with a normal serial cable, and appletalk hasn't come anywhere near it yet.

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  17:48:50
quote:

I haven't set up the bridge. It's just connected to the printer port with a normal serial cable, and appletalk hasn't come anywhere near it yet.

k! Now we're getting somewhere! Are you certain that the cable is a printer cable and have you tested to be certain that it works?

Networking two Macs with it would be a good test if it hasn't been in recent service with another printer that is handy for testing and known to be good.

I have several switchbox cables that are labeled as printer cables and printer cables with no markings at all on them so that they look just like my switchbox cables! :rolleyes:

jt .

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  09:00:46
I've used the cable recently with another printer. In that case, the printer turned out to be broken, but the cable SEEMED to function just fine. I'll try another that I am positive works

{ candyPunk }

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  21:34:34
No luck! The cable is good. Oh me! What now?

{ candyPunk }

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  04:20:42
Make sure appletalk is set to "Printer Port" or it wont find the printer. I take from what you said that is on ethernet, so Its scanning you ethernet looking for the printer

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  09:17:38
quote:

Make sure appletalk is set to "Printer Port" or it wont find the printer. I take from what you said that is on ethernet, so Its scanning you ethernet looking for the printer

Sounds good, oddly enough a modem is one of the few things that has ever run well off the printer port for me and most of my printers were MUCH happier running on the modem port . . . go figure! :rolleyes:

Since I've switched everything to ethernet, I haven't hardly needed to run any serial devices at all except my plotters.

jt .

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  09:39:22
Do all laserwriters have to have appletalk set to their port? My experience with old fashioned lamoid inkjet printers has gotten me used to making sure one port was only used for one thing. Indeed I will want the LW available over appletalk later, so it will HAVE to use the port for that, but I thought the localtalk bridge control panel handled that and appletalk stayed on the ethernet port. I'll switch it over to printer when I get home (another 9 hours! ugh!) and cross my fingers!

{ candyPunk }

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  19:29:27
The appletalk did it! It's printing its first document as I speak. Sort of. It's taking its friggin time sending the data. OK, perhaps I was premature in saying that it was printing. It has been sitting there saying "preparing data" for about 4 minutes. Argh! The agony of defeat! I'm not defeated...I just don't know what's going on. What's up now?

Wait, wait, it FINALLY started...ugh, paper jam. How do I clear it? Argh!

I can't quite figure out the status lights on the printer. One is a weird paper-jam symbol, one probably signifies lack of paper, but one looks like a weird U or a broken circle of some kind. What does IT tell me?

Well, no printing yet. It sits at "preparing data" for a long time, then stops. It forgets that it was doing anything. The file disappears from the desktop printer. Please oh please offer some ideas

{ candyPunk }

Edited by - candyPunk on 26 Sep 2002 20:29:56Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  21:22:19
Wait, I've done it! I win!

No luck printing from the Q660av, and I haven't bothered to try from the Q800, but the OS X.2 iMac prints just fine over appletalk! Go localtalk bridge! Woo! 8.1 gets good results with OS X, I notice

Now, my problems aren't totally solved. There seems to be toner on the roller. The paper comes out with huge grey blotches all over it. Do I just need to run a bunch of page through, can I clean the roller, or is this a sign of some sort of toner leak? Just tell me I need to run pages through

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  05:21:15
quote:

No luck printing from the Q660av

Good luck printing with that desk anchor! Don't chuck it out tho, If you ever liberate a 21" CRT missing a tilt/swivel base, they make great monitor lifts!
quote:

There seems to be toner on the roller. The paper comes out with huge grey blotches all over it. Do I just need to run a bunch of page through, can I clean the roller, or is this a sign of some sort of toner leak?

Click on the period in my sig and there should be a good printer repair site in the links project, IIRC. Service manual should be available on gamba.

jt .

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  08:57:35
quote:

Good luck printing with that desk anchor! Don't chuck it out tho, If you ever liberate a 21" CRT missing a tilt/swivel base, they make great monitor lifts!

What?? Chuck it?? Do you see my sig??

quote:
Click on the period in my sig and there should be a good printer repair site in the links project, IIRC. Service manual should be available on gamba.

I'll take a look...

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  10:55:24
quote:

quote:

What?? Chuck it?? Do you see my sig??

HAR!™ notice the smilies . . . what do you think?

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.