Newton
 2100 or emate 300?
Author Topic  
madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  16:01:09
i am currently bidding on an emate on ebay but im probably going to be outbid (its at my maximum bid of $100- not much but the shipping to northern ireland will be about 4 times that) and theres a 2100 with buy it now for $70 (and is about 1/3 od the weight) so i want to know which ones better?
im going to buy one of them anyway, but convince me why. what are its limits? mp3s, size, airport/ethernet, internet, ect.
what kinds of cool stuff can it do when im on the bus home from school, that kind of thing....
what kind of pc cards can it take (or at least has drivers for)?
is it any good with games?
can you write programs for it easily (im not a programmer but im working on it. slowly.)

also, what the heck is dongle? it doesnt sound suitible for children at any rate.

im irish, it is my duty to ask stupid questions.

(macs liberated:3 (well, its only been 2 months....)

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  18:10:26
A 2100 can play mp3s (http://www.40hz.org/MADNewton/), but an emate can't. The 2100 is also much smaller. The emate has a larger screen, though. I'd get the 2100,but only if it comes with a keyboard and other accessories (carrying case, etc).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  21:25:46
The 2100 is much more powerful, but an eMate is tougher, with a built in keyboard and also serial port.

A dongle in computer terminology is just parlance for any little adaptor/terminator. In Newton-speak, it probably means a serial adaptor for the Newton Interconnect port.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  23:29:52
As the owner of a 2100, I would say get the 2100. The 2100 is way faster and this translates into much better hand writing recognition speed, and access to CPU intensive things like MP3 players, wireless cards, etc.

www.chuma.org has the low down on ethernet cards and drivers.

www.unna.org has a huge archive of software including games for that bus ride

Paul Guyot (www. kallisys.com) is working on an ATA driver so that you can use Compact Flash cards instead of the more expensive and lower capacity linear flash cards.

Remember, no one has ever regretted buying a 2100. Anyone who has an emate has always asked for 2 things: more DRAM and more speed. The memory expansion card is virtually impossible to find and thus incredibly expensive. Speed upgrades are impossible.

If you do get a 2100 make sure that it has rechargeable NiMH batteries (Apple) and an AC adapter included. You can charge the NiMH batteries in the Newt with this combo. Third party batteries have to be charged outside. If at all possible get a battery cage as an insurance policy. A keyboard and dongle are nice but the keyboard is very noisy so its not the best for taking notes in class. You can order a dongle replacement that fits internally - very cool (from David Humphreys aka Mr. PCBman). Can't remember his website address.

Its getting late and I can't remember all of the details but I will post more when I get a chacne tomorrow.

HTH

Kami

Go to Top of Page

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 23 Sep 2002 :  09:44:35
I have both of these machines. I prefer the 2100 for doing stuff, but type alot on the eMate and beam the files to the 2100.
The eMate is cool, but processing and memory limitations mean it isn't the powerbook replacement I was looking for, but a 2100 w/keyboard would be awesome!
Needless to say I like both, but if I only could have one, it'd be the 2100.

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  11:00:05
The 2100 w/ Keyboard is my laptop.. and I carry it around on my hip (sans keyboard).

The Dongle is the little adapter that lets you connect thee Newt to a computer, via it's little port. The port is NOT the most sturdily constructed, and will eventually break over prolonged use.

You may want to seriously consisder the internal serial port upgrade mentioned above. I haven't goten mine quite yet, but supplies are limited. I intend on being able to use myNewton for years to come.

type papers, get online, take notes, IM people, what do YOU want to do?
~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.