All Forums
 68k Software
 VM
Author Topic  
pracht

Estonia
66 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  03:32:56
I got settlers II and the app requires 8 MB of ram. I have exactly 8 MB ram + 20MB of virtual memory with mac os 8.1 and everything runs just fine! When i lanch the app i get a error to turn off VM. When I turn off VM I get a error not enough memory. Is there a chance to play the game?

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  07:19:37
You mean you have 8megs free on booting right? 8.1 requires like 12 or 16 megs just to run. You could go to get info on the game and lower the memory requirements..... This could provide a nice system freeze though, but it also might let you play the game.

pracht

Estonia
66 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  09:18:59
quote:
8.1 requires like 12 or 16 megs just to run
8.1 run happily with 8MB

If I lower Settlers II memory and run it i get a error that it needs 8MB to start.

I was thinking that maybe there a way so that settlers doesn´t recognize VM.

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  09:31:04
Mabye if you use ram doubler.

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  21:18:13
Good call, Danny.
RAM Doubler or that other program that did the same thing (Memory Optimiser or something, it was called) is probably the only way to do it. Of course, you could always buy more RAM...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

macvaya
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  11:45:33
quote:

[quote]8.1 run happily with 8MB

If I lower Settlers II memory and run it i get a error that it needs 8MB to start.

I was thinking that maybe there a way so that settlers doesn´t recognize VM.

It runs, I've done it before, but I don't know that I'd call it "happily". I think if I couldn't find some RAM for that, I'd downgrade to 7.5.5, which wastes a lot fewer resources. You're using the highest end OS that a 68k can run with fewer than the recommended resources (ie, RAM).

RAMDoubler or RAMCharger might help in this case, but the performance I've had with either product has kind of sucked compared to getting actual, physical RAM. It will probably run SettlersII if you've got it installed, though. Make sure there's however many megs of harddisk memory as you'll be "doubling" or "tripling" with RAMDoubler, though (usually not a problem, but some smaller HDs fill up quickly).

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.