All Forums
 68k Software
 Making Mac Software Available to Windoze Users
Author Topic  
oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2002 :  16:18:42
Since, in general, most people new to the Mac side of the universe have no way to get files that they download on their PC to their Mac, we need to provide a simple way for PC users to get an OS and basic programs onto their 68k Macs. There is a nice piece of Windoze software called FloppyImage with the capability to create raw disk images of any floppy disk, including Mac-formatted disks. It can also make self-extracting images that, when run, automatically make an exact copy of a floppy disk. I propose that we make available a set of these self extracting disk images for Macintosh system software (6.0.8 and 7.1), Stuffit Expander, MIDI software, word processing and document creation software, internet/webservice/router software, and whatever else might be needed to bring a 68k Mac back to usefulness. That way, the new Mac user who has just acquired a 68k Mac and would like to wipe the HD and put system software and basic programs on it would be able to do so without having to borrow someone else's Mac. We could host them on an HTTP or FTP server so PC users could get to them without having to download Hotline.

I have already created the first self-extracting disk image. It is of Tetris, and it is set up so that when it is inserted into any Mac between the Mac SE w/SuperDrive and the Mac IIfx, Tetris will automatically start. It's 600K. If anybody has a good place to host it, let me know.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3

Edited by - oldmacman on 21 Sep 2002 16:20:44

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2002 :  17:33:29
That is a GOOD idea....
Is the email addy in your profile real? If not, email me, coxy@literatureclassics.com and we'll sort you out with hosting.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2002 :  18:06:48
Yeah, it's real.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Sep 2002 :  18:08:53
quote:

That is a GOOD idea....
Is the email addy in your profile real? If not, email me, coxy@literatureclassics.com and we'll sort you out with hosting.

I think it's a good idea too, but there seems to be a problem about distributing Apple software online, they might be especially bothersome if 7.1 were distributed, it is as yet unreleased AFAIK. 6.0.8, 7.0.1 and 7.5.3 would be a LOT safer to handle, but not entirely safe by any means.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  06:54:35
quote:
they might be especially bothersome if 7.1 were distributed

Maybe just a link to Gamba's OS page then, where 7.1 is linked to. The reason I picked 7.1 is that it will run on a Quadra, whereas 7.0.1 won't. IMHO, 7.5.5 takes up too much space and runs slower than 7.1.

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  07:35:54
I think its a good idea too, but don't host it on FTP. FTP sucks. IT pi**es me off to say the least. So does HotLine. I detest hotline. 'cause for some reason the client PCs on my network can't connect.

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  07:41:33
quote:

quote:
they might be especially bothersome if 7.1 were distributed

Maybe just a link to Gamba's OS page then, where 7.1 is linked to. The reason I picked 7.1 is that it will run on a Quadra, whereas 7.0.1 won't. IMHO, 7.5.5 takes up too much space and runs slower than 7.1.

I thought you meant to post links to special versions that would automagically self-extract from a downloadable straight to a set of Mac floppies (or just a boot disk?) on any PC requiring no special hardware, software or skills on the part of the downloader to get around the catch 22 of having the readily available (even the ones like 7.1) files at hand, but no possibility of getting them onto a systemless Mac. A 7.5.3/7.0.1/6.0.8 set would boot anything I can think of offhand and allow a better choice of OS to be installed for any particular machine.

Or did I misunderstand your intent?

The disk set I suggested would probably be as safe a bet as possible, but I am still concerned that the pack of legal weasels in the orchard will find some kind of problem with such a setup.

jt .

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  07:49:11
No, you didn't misunderstand me. I'd still do self-extracting disk sets of 7.0.1 and 6.0.8. However, if someone REALLY wanted 7.1, the disk images linked to by Gamba's site can be written to Mac disks on a PC with rawrite.exe after they are decompressed.

Here are the self-extracting disk images I'd like to do:

System 6.0.8 and 7.0.1 install disks

Games (Tetris, ShufflePuck, StuntCopter, Crystal Quest, Strategic Conquest, Star Wars)

Music (MusicWorks MIDI, maybe Finale 2.61, maybe Jazz Guitarist/Jazz Pianist)

Internet (MacPPP, Stuffit Expander, MacLynx, Eudora, Hotline Client, Fetch)

I'm not sure what to include for word processing, image editing, design, etc. I've only used a few programs on 68k Macs for these.

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  17:41:30
quote:

No, you didn't misunderstand me. I'd still do self-extracting disk sets of 7.0.1 and 6.0.8. However, if someone REALLY wanted 7.1, the disk images linked to by Gamba's site can be written to Mac disks on a PC with rawrite.exe after they are decompressed.

Here are the self-extracting disk images I'd like to do:

System 6.0.8 and 7.0.1 install disks

Games (Tetris, ShufflePuck, StuntCopter, Crystal Quest, Strategic Conquest, Star Wars)

Music (MusicWorks MIDI, maybe Finale 2.61, maybe Jazz Guitarist/Jazz Pianist)

Internet (MacPPP, Stuffit Expander, MacLynx, Eudora, Hotline Client, Fetch)

I'm not sure what to include for word processing, image editing, design, etc. I've only used a few programs on 68k Macs for these.

well, I have a copy of WordPerfect 3.5e
Microsoft Word 5.1a
and some version of MacWrite. Word and Macwrite worked perfectly on my SE. This is a great idea. LETS DO THIS!

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  18:51:25
I still find myself wishing we could distribute 7.1. I don't see why Apple doesn't allow it. It's small, fast, it supports everything 7.0.1 supports plus all the Quadras, and it's not as buggy as 7.0.1.

Is there any way to contact Apple and ask permission?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  20:35:13
quote:

Is there any way to contact Apple and ask permission?

Nope! . . . and if they get wind of you distriburting 6.0.8/7.0.1/7.5.3 in any kind of an organized activity you'd best watch you backside too, their policy is as draconian as it is ridiculous! The only way gamba gets away with what they do is their location well outside the long reach of Apple's rabid vermin!

jt .

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  21:10:18
There is some copyright issue with 7.1, I heard. Some components of software in the System are owned by a shareware author who won't give permission, or something like that.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 22 Sep 2002 :  21:21:36
I'd help but with the fruit less system additions I could make installers to if you want.

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  20:56:29
I'm not sure if this is relevant to this thread, but I don't have a Mac with a CD-Burner, soo.. when I download stuff (BIN files) for Macs I use a PC (EEWWW..) and burn it to a CD and take it to the Mac and use Stuffit 4.5 to translate it to a Mac readable format. (That was until I got a modem for my Mac..) Also, there is a program called TransMac that allows you to mount Mac disks on a PC and copy them that way... I've also managed to make backups of my Mac CDs on a PC using Nero 5.5 (Most of my Mac SW CD's are quite old and I wanted to preserve them before they got unreadable.)

"OOOH, AHHH, What is this thing? - OH, We gotta do somthing like that.." BG's first reaction to a LisaGo to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  05:25:26
quote:

quote:

That is a GOOD idea....

I think it's a good idea too, but there seems to be a problem about distributing Apple software online, they might be especially bothersome if 7.1 were distributed, it is as yet unreleased AFAIK. 6.0.8, 7.0.1 and 7.5.3 would be a LOT safer to handle, but not entirely safe by any means.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

That's why you don't "distribute it", but provide the link to the Apple site where it's located in the archieves as a free download up to OS 7.5.3 and OS update 7.5.5

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.