All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Performa 400
Author Topic  
jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  21:02:11
Technically, I'm not sure this is a liberation since I paid for it, but...

Lunchtime today, I had some time to kill before a meeting, so I went over to the Thrift Store at the Army post I work at. Sitting behind the counter was a pizza box LC. Out of curiousity, I decided to ask what the story was with it.

It turns out that it had just come in and the staff had no real idea what to price it at (they actually thought it was a scanner at first). I explained to them that it was an older Macintosh and would probably fetch about $5 on eBay, so they asked me if I wanted it for $5.

To make a short story shorter, I am now the owner of a Performa 400, basically a rebadged LC II- $5 for the pizza box, power cord, and keyboard cable, but no keyboard or mouse. I haven't fired it up yet, but it appears to be the stock 4/80 configuration.

Now to ponder the upgrade possibilities... a bigger drive and maxing out the memory is easy (I know there's a pair of 4mb SIMMS around here somewhere). There's no FPU socket on the motherboard, but I do have an Asante NIC with an FPU socket (just have to find a chip). Or should I look for an LC III or later motherboard on ebay?

<<<john>>>

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  22:43:40
quote:

Technically, I'm not sure this is a liberation since I paid for it, but...

As long as you saved it from an untimely death, it counts.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  23:24:44
Nothing wrong with that find, I've got two of those and an LCIII+ - I paid $2.50 for that one. I'd say keep hunting, there's more where that one came from. I've passed on some Pizza Boxes that were price MUCH higher (As high as $50.00) Good Hunting!

Go to Top of Page

tuuur
Starting Member

Netherlands
17 Posts
Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  08:01:42
Saturday I got a LC475 for 7euro50.
Missing is the apple logo and one of the lid-things on the rear; but it does have a NIC, maxed out VRAM and System 7.6.1 British.

Furthermore, it does accept one 72pin PC-simm which I happened to have lying around somewhere, so now it has 36MB ram. It's one nice little system...

--
I'll never get out of this world alive...

Liberated 15 68k Macs!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  08:49:48
I have a Performa 400!

Indeed I need to change my sig.

I paid for my Performa 400, £36 but I also got a printer with it which I sold for £30 so the Performa cost me £6 ;-)

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, 128MB ram, 2MB vram, cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)
1.2 gig drive, 4.23 gig drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem,
Stylewriter 1200, Umax 1220s scanner
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  03:26:23
Congrats on your liberation. By the way, one thing i've always wondered is this: Is the floppy on the Performa 400 an auto injecter or a manual inject one? Just wondering. A good upgrade you can do to it though, is to install an LC475 logic board. LC475s ROCK!!!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2002 :  11:42:42
quote:

Congrats on your liberation. By the way, one thing i've always wondered is this: Is the floppy on the Performa 400 an auto injecter or a manual inject one? Just wondering. A good upgrade you can do to it though, is to install an LC475 logic board. LC475s ROCK!!!

Performa 400 is an auto injector. It is an LC II, in all but name.

FYI, I finally got around to firing it up. It was an 8/80 (now 10/80- anybody have a use for 2 2mb SIMMS). Its on the network, but I haven't done anything else with it, pending a hardware move.

Personally, I'd love to find it an LC475 board, just not sure its worth the cost to me right now unless I can get it very cheap (or swap for it).

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2002 :  09:58:38
quote:

Personally, I'd love to find it an LC475 board, just not sure its worth the cost to me right now unless I can get it very cheap (or swap for it).

Go to my store at http://www.silvernetwork.net/mike/store/ and check out the overclocked LC III board. 33MHz 68030. If the store price is too high make me an offer here.

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4 (main mac)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead, but I still keep it :,( )Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 13 Oct 2002 :  15:32:56
quote:

Go to my store at http://www.silvernetwork.net/mike/store/ and check out the overclocked LC III board. 33MHz 68030. If the store price is too high make me an offer here.

To be honest, I think $12 a bit much. By comparison, I'm seeing complete LC III's on ebay for $5 with no takers (admittedly, yours is more of an LC IIIplus, but the pricing still applies).

I suspect that something more like $5 shipped or some smallish swap would be more what I'd be looking to spend.

Thanks, though...

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.