Become part of the 68kMLA Network!
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 13 Dec 2001 :  14:29:14
Ok everyone, here's an idea.

FireWire is Fast is working hard on the website, and I'll freely admit that his graphic and page design skills are better than mine.

If you read the Service Manuals thread, you'll see my posting about running a 68kMLA Gopher server.

Here's the deal:

Gopher works best when there are multiple systems, but they don;t ALL have to be online at the same time.

So, are you running a server off your modem? DSL? Cable?

I don't care if it's HTTP, FTP, Gopher, or only Telnet or SSH.

As long as it's a server, my Gopher system will keep log of it and let people thru when it's up, and also catalogue what you have available.

It'll be the 68kMLAN(etwork)

If you DON'T run a server, but you WANT to (and people here can help you set them up) you should get a dyndns.org account, and an appropriate client. I'll talk to a couple of the other people and get a "How to set up dyndns" page for the website.

So people... what do you think?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

~~"We are all Mad here."~~

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  21:35:24
Yea its great! I was first to offer making a nice ftp and http file server. My 9500 G3 Never came so now i need help. If anybody has any AAUI adapters or any network cards that would rock and maybe some memory or hard drives, I got a nice Hd to use but im looking for a SCSI external cause. l'll pay shipping. I have DSL and i havent used it for 3 weeks and its charged and ready to go! So email me if you can donate to the cause.... TiMacLover@mac.com

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closers"
Napolean

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  15:04:24
Ok, I've been working on the setup at my house, and here's how things are gonna work.

This is being served off a 56k modem line, via a G4 (as the Gateway to the 'Net), a II (or IIfx) as the actual Gopher server, and an SE w/ AppleShare 2.0.

I'm operating off my 56k Modem, as I said, but I TRY to keep that online all the time, as it has it's own phone line. But I also USE my computer, so if it crashes or anything else, well, you won;t be able to connect for a litle while.

The Gopher server will also act as an HTTP server, for the SOLE purpose of direct linking to other MLAN webpages/servers. It will have a single, text only page, with the links.

The Gopher system I want to get as robust as possible (I beleive the 'Net as an informational resource can still be used best via a text-only, menu interface).

It would be nice if anyone that wants to participate could get (as I mentioned before) a dyndns.org account/system, AND a Mac running some kind of FTP server.

Connection speeds don't matter a whole lot. Don't feel you can't be a part of this if you only use a 33.6 modem and are only connected a few hours a day! I've been archiveing text files and information, and YOU can host them. Gopher systems are meant to connect to multiple servers, and keep logs of redundant information. if 3 MLANers host the same file, odds are we can all access it at any time.

Be brave! come play!

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 20 Dec 2001 :  15:47:15
Hmm... Now we come to an interesting dilemma.

I *MIGHT* be the proud new owner of a NeXT Slab. The earlier version, ala a 68030 chip.

I've been debating HOW to set up the Gopher system, and other 'Net server functions, and my choices up till now have been:

Run a 68k Mac with the Mac OS, and appropriate software
-OR-
Run a 68k Mac with a UNIX system.

NOW I may have the opportunity to use the NeXT station.

I'm useing a now out-of-print book from O'Reilly titled "Manageing Internet Information Systems" and it includes examples and such on HOW to implement everything on a NeXT system.

So, would it be saccreligious to provide the front door to the "68k Macintosh Liberation Army Network" on a NeXT computer?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Dec 2001 :  08:24:55
NeXT slabs/cubes are cooler than 68k Macs (and they use the same processor/RAM) Thus making them worthy enough to serve our files.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 22 Dec 2001 :  21:56:57
I got a Quadra 610 with 40 ram and ethernet (i need AAUI adapter) and a 1gig HD with DSL. I can install UNIX, LinuX, or run a AppleShare IP server but i need a HD or external scsi one and one AAUI adapter. My dsl would always be on for all your 68k file needs :)

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napolean

Covert Ops

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2001 :  18:54:34
I didn;t get the NeXT slab, but now that there is a link inside these forums to A/UX 3.0 software, I'll be useing a 68k Mac running THAT to host the Gopher server.

SCORE! Now all I need to do is decide which computer to use... SE/30? II?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2001 :  20:38:39
quote:

(i need AAUI adapter)

Go to your local computer store and get one (I know my local Microcenter has a few). They're not that rare. They're going to be third-party though, because Apple no longer makes their "Apple™ Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver".

quote:

SE/30? II?

Use the II. Wouldn't want to tax the SE/30's screen (mine has a bad burn-in)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 23 Dec 2001 :  23:14:16
easy for u to say i never heard of the store u said all we have is a CompUSA who o yea has them for $50!!!!! EBay only $10-$15 with shippin but i have no money, im broke i need to still buy my DUO 2300!!! So i need a little help.

jeremy

Napolean

Covert Ops

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2001 :  09:28:53
Ok this is out of another forum but im brining it here. I have a 7200/120 (not 68k sorry) running on dsl 24/7. I have both HTTP and hotline serving off of it. The hotline was a recent 'request' and I do not know how well it is set up. Just letting you know about my resources. Thats all, Penguin out.

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
|Macs liberated: 3|
|Windoze users converted: 2|
Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2001 :  12:11:57
What I'm thinking of doing is scrounging up the cash for a router, and getting broadband to my 68k's that I don't have to steal from my mom. If that happens, I can run a Q610 (assuming no one wants my C610 case + power supply) as an always-on server, for either hotline or http. in fact, i could even run something under linux, as I've wanted to really get to know how to use it. You guys have any suggestions on the cheapest possible router as an expansion to my cable/dsl router? I need 3 ports, at least. And will IP addresses be automatically assigned to the computers on the expansion router? Do I need a "switch" ? If what I need tunrs out to be affordable, I'll set up a server.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 24 Dec 2001 13:02:08Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2001 :  13:17:14
Well... you could always buy IPNetRouter, a Mac II, and 5 NuBus Ethernet cards and MAKE a router...

As for the 2 people with DSL and servers, do you have DynDNS.org accounts? And how to we get into your Hotline servers?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2001 :  16:49:56
For Da Penguin, use his IP. I believe it changes and he's going to get a domain. The current IP is in another thread. I thought it was the one about the service manuals but I was wrong. I'm not sure which one it's in...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 24 Dec 2001 17:17:50Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2001 :  21:20:54
I'm not sure what that account ur talking bout but i have a no-ip.com account so my ip stays the same. I also have appleshare IP ready. You can connect to our hotline servers by downloading hotline at download.com and then enter our IP for the server and Bam! your there and surfing our files, its that easy!

jeremy

Napolean

Covert Ops

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2001 :  21:31:18
Ok, so everyone here knows, my current IP is: 4.40.16.66
I have had registered for a while now torpedobird.com for my http serving. My question is, can I use domain forwarding for hotline?
If this works I can have it update my IP addy to for example 'hotline.torpedobird.com' or something like that. Let me know about thoughts. Also my email is: magicpenguin@mac.com
Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
|Macs liberated: 3|
|Windoze users converted: 2|
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.