Apple ][
 the Best Apple //
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  23:42:34
What would the best Apple // be... (the Apple IIc that can netboot from an AWGS95... LOL)

if i were trying to get an apple// I would probably go for a //c+ just because it's less pieces than any of the others, with all of the others, there's at least one external peice, even the IIc has a external PSU and as a person who travels from home to school and back again in just a single day... and likes to take computers with to places... less to lose is only better, besides, one of those cool little monitors... CAN there be anything cooler? now will one of those silly little IIc monitors run the GUI OS?? or shall I stick to TVs and larger composite monitors...

Official 68k videographer

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  19:18:49
In my own personal opinion, THE Best of the Apple II series has to be the IIGS. You've got a color GUI in the GS/OS, incredible speed with a faster, 16-bit processor, almost infinite expansion possibilities, and it just looks better than the other Apple II's.

Add to all of this that software is still being developed for it, and a loyal following that I have not seen with the other models, and the Apple IIGS is clearly the best of the the Apples. (IMHO,)

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 22 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  15:57:57
Indeed, the Apple IIgs was the pinacle of Apple II development. What I'd love is to grab ahold of a ROM 4 IIgs. Too bad Apple decided to can it at the end. In a close second would be the many incarnations of the Apple IIe, that thing lasted in education for quite awhile. Or the IIc, I have one myself. It's awfullly handy to have the keyboard and drive all in one unit, especially for my cramped quarters. Mmm, so many wonderfull Apple's...

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  16:08:53
Laser 128 EX, no contest! Apple had to rush the //c+ out the door cuz V-Tech was kickin' their @$$ and it still didn't catch up to the feature set of the EX.

The gs was cool too, but if iff'n it ain't got a 6502 . . . it's not a //!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  20:59:34
quote:
The gs was cool too, but if iff'n it ain't got a 6502 . . . it's not a //!

Well, iff'n it don't say "Apple" on it, it ain't really a ][ either.

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 22 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  08:14:20
quote:

Well, iff'n it don't say "Apple" on it, it ain't really a ][ either.

If somebody clone's an Apple's ROM and their lawyers can kick Apple's @$$ in court and continue selling it legally, despite every dirty trick that cupertino's pack of legal weasels can think of to pull, it's a ][! (just not a ][™! which makes it one BAD@$$ ][!

. . . and the expansion slot on the side is killer! Did any of the //c's ever have an expansion slot?

jt .

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  20:17:04
I wasn't going to say it before because I figured Moose made his point and all was done fairly.

Apple //'s are what they are because that is what Apple named them period. You want to go by proccessor, then you have to explain the Centris line, Quandra line, Performa line, etc. The name is mainly to show a line of style, not specifics. Look at the LC Family.

If it made be Apple and they called it a //, then that's it. I understand what you're saying Trash, it was the same way with PowerComputing, which is why Apple bought them out. They duplicated a lot from Apple, but had more freedom to put their own improvements in. Thing is, it still wan't a Mac and the Newer OS's knew it.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  06:07:37
quote:

Apple //'s are what they are because that is what Apple named them period. You want to go by proccessor, then you have to explain the Centris line, Quandra line, Performa line, etc. The name is mainly to show a line of style, not specifics. Look at the LC Family.

If it made be Apple and they called it a //, then that's it. I understand what you're saying Trash, it was the same way with PowerComputing, which is why Apple bought them out. They duplicated a lot from Apple, but had more freedom to put their own improvements in. Thing is, it still wan't a Mac and the Newer OS's knew it.

If you're talking about trademarked names, you are correct of course. The same thing goes on in the camera collecting world, many of the best and most innovative optics used on Leicas were frome the "counterfeit Leica" manufacturers.

I tend to think of any kind of machine in terms of function rather than product name, any pre 040 LC just doesn't make the grade as far as I am concerned, I've ony got one LCII to go with my microquadras.

I just think it's interesting that one company actually beat everything Apple could throw at them and keep selling a legal, yet unauthorized clone. It's too bad market share and hardware performance are both so abysmally low right now that nobody would ever think of cloning the Mac!

That's an interesting point you made about Power's clones, what's the problem they have with newer OS's that is different than Macs from the same era?

jt .

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  08:17:53
They had a tendency to freexe up a bit more when compared with a Mac with equal or slightly less product grade. ie: PowerComp would have a 180mhz processor compared with a Mac using the same or lower, both running OS 8.6............
I think it really came down to haw Apple made the OS to begin with and why Macs usually remain more stable under normal conditions. The OS was designed with Apples Authorised product line in mind only and probably treated some component in the PowerComp as a third-party product it didn't like. If you were to take an OS that allowed equal compatability for both, then machine-wise the PowerComp would have beaten the current Mac of the time. That's why Apple pulled a Gates move and bought out, then dicontinued the company.

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 29 Sep 2002 :  08:20:48
quote:

They had a tendency to freexe up a bit more when compared with a Mac with equal or slightly less product grade. ie: PowerComp would have a 180mhz processor compared with a Mac using the same or lower, both running OS 8.6............
I think it really came down to haw Apple made the OS to begin with and why Macs usually remain more stable under normal conditions. The OS was designed with Apples Authorised product line in mind only and probably treated some component in the PowerComp as a third-party product it didn't like. If you were to take an OS that allowed equal compatability for both, then machine-wise the PowerComp would have beaten the current Mac of the time. That's why Apple pulled a Gates move and bought out, then dicontinued the company.

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/

Errr, a lot of typo's in this one

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  21:10:12
In my elementary school (showing my age now) they netbooted the IIGS from an SE or SE/30 (don't remember but it was definitely a compact mac with an hd)

Ahh, the Oregon trail, Odell lake, Number Munchers, the good old days!

Useless 6360 16/1.2/8.6 :(
SE 1/20/6.0.8 :)
Q840av 20/0/DOA :(
I may be nobody here, but in the Dell forums, I've got over 8000 posts :)Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  08:42:48
Don't forget Karatika, Lode Runner, Taipan, the Zork series...........

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  04:08:50
Either the IIgs or the IIc. Although i'd be happy enough with a working IIe motherboard.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

D.S.
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  04:43:47
It's the Phoenix, most definitely.

Although I liked the compact side of the family, the IIgs was definitely a little lean mean machine, and subsequent developments made it even better. It was probably the most mature 16-bit project of the time, and with its open architecture it came as a close second to the Amiga in terms of adaptability. The times were-a-changin', though, and the Apple II line was scheduled to shuffle off stage...

My ROM 01 IIgs is still working well after all these years, running applications and games, and I think that fact alone speaks volumes about its worth. It's a pretty slick machine, and if it can still keep my syster hooked up with Arkanoid II the same way it used to be years ago, hats off to the winner!

Later.

-- D.S.

Edited by - D.S. on 28 Oct 2002 04:44:53Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  18:19:04
I have a real soft spot for the //e, as it was the first computer that I did a signifigant amount of hacking/programming on. The IIc was a really cool computer, but I don't have much personal experience with them, as the one I had was in really bad shape, and never ran. RIP.
Above all, though, my absolute fav Apple II-series would have to have been my old Franklin ACE 1200! This was an Apple ][+ (or was it IIe?) clone, with two integrated floppy drives, and a case built like a tank. Really, this thing was tough! I found my ACE at the local dump, (back in Mount Shasta, CA) about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a kick-ass computer.
Just my $.02
SpaceBoy
PS Didn't Franklin get their asses sued by Apple over the ACE?

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  18:26:39
quote:

PS Didn't Franklin get their asses sued by Apple over the ACE?

Everybody who made a clone had their @$$es sued by Apple, but V-Tech's clean-room ROM clone allowed them to kick Apple's @$$ in court! They were the only company ever to beat apple on that kind of infringement case! GO, V-Tech!

jt .

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  20:04:36
//e all the way! oregon trail... number munchers...

but i never could figure out why some of them were ]['s and some were //'s... and my cousin had a /// and a monochrome green-on-black Monitor ///... i hated that pile of crap (couldnt even play Number Munchers)

actually, what was the point of the ///? it wasnt anything special, was it?
-------------
Special Ops, 578th Performa Division
Fort Llama, Memphis Tennessee

Owner of the 68kmla's sole Performa 578

Edited by - llamaboy487 on 28 Oct 2002 20:23:01Go to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 28 Oct 2002 :  20:05:11
the only ones i ever used to any extent were the IIc, which i got from my uncle, but later gave it back (i think he still has it, i've been trying to get it back for a while, but no luck so far) and the IIgs in my old band directors office, which he used for word processing, but everyone else used toi play jeopardy and lemonade stand... so, those 2 are my favorites. i also used a IIe for a while in computer class in middle school, we learned appleworks, basic, and logo. at the time, there was 1 single mac in the computer lab, an LC, which i thought was the absolute coolest thing (until i got my performa 630 the next year)

--
Performa 630
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2002 :  21:52:54
that Network Booting sounds COOL!
iRemember in the 3rd grade playing "Gertrude's Seceret" in the lab of IIes... now this is in the era where theyre sellin like... G3 beige and PM9600... (in 9th grade now... so 2002 - 6 = 1996)
wow... things like... 12 years old and still pluggin away!

if only we could set up snotloads of them (with networkboot) to crunch SETI units without disk drives... and headlessly

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.